DVD-R not working

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
hey, i have a Rosewill Combo DVD-R/CD-RW , it can burn DVD+/-R blah blah blah, i.e. all formats

here's the problem:
I installed a new motherboard, a MSI K8N Neo (MS-7030),
and now Windows doesn't seem to understand my DVD-R can burn DVDs, it only thinks it can play DVDs, play CDs, and burn CDs

i'm using WinXP Pro SP2. thanks in advance!

here are my specs:
Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name MSI K8N Neo (MS-7030) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce3 250Gb, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (08/25/05)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON 9800 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
Monitor NEC MultiSync FE990 [19" CRT] (3900004YA)

Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2-S - Audio Codec Interface

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (v2.6)
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller (v2.6)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y200M0 (200 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive 16X16 DVD DUAL
Optical Drive MSI CD-RW CR52 (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

That happened to me once. All i did to fix it was use another molex connector from a different line. It was strange but that worked for me.

HybridHB said:
That happened to me once. All i did to fix it was use another molex connector from a different line. It was strange but that worked for me.
odd, see it worked with my old motherboard, which was also a K8 build from MSI, i think it was "platinum" or something, idk...

hmm, okay, i'll try that after i eat breakfast..i mean lunch, some time...grr stupid work, getting the way of mealtimes

TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
try updating the firmware - it helps sometimes..
i tried that, it didn't, thanks for the suggestion though

Bullitt said:
What program are you using to burn DVD's?
i tried just like, windows, and i tried nero

okay, i couldn't find a new molex, but i did this: i took the existing molex line, disconnected the fans that were getting power from it, and moved it to a different slot on my PSU [my psu has detachable thingies for molex cables]

didn't work.

i tried all of the possible firmware upgrades for combo drives from www.rosewill.com

didn't work.

i then got CDBurnerXP Pro 3 [i googled my problem and found a link to this posted in, like, a CNET forum or something :eek:], and it worked.

kind of.

if i leave autodetect on it burns at 1.0, yes, 1x. But, since i know this combo drive burns DVD-R at am ax of 8x, i can override that and set it to 8x, and it works fine, despite the fact that CDBurnerXP Pro 3 doesn't [officially, at least] support my drive.

yay, again, kind of.

Windows still doesn't recognize my drive / understand what's going on. When nothing's in my drive it calls it "DVD-RW F:" When i put a DVD-R in my drive it calls it "CD Drive F: [then in small, blue text - DVD-RW]"

but, when i double-click on it, w/ a blank DVD-RW inside, it asks me to insert a disk

wtf :confused:

you never mentioned whether or not you did a fresh format/install of windows when you changed motherboards. if not, you may need to do that to get it to work....there are many components that you can upgrade without having to reinstall windows, but a motherboard is one that i ALWAYS reformat/reinstall windows for.....everything is just so much cleaner that way....

technically, there is a way to upgrade to a different mobo without absolutely requiring a reformat/install, but it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

Carnival Forces said:
i tried that, it didn't, thanks for the suggestion though

i tried just like, windows, and i tried nero

windows will not burn DVD's, it just won't work.

what version of Nero did you try, and what error message did you receive?

Back