DVI-D Dummy Plug?

edge929

[H]ard|Gawd
While I found some threads on this topic none provided an answer. I'm trying to get my first mining rig up and headless, remote into it but cgminer isn't setting my clocks and fan speed when I start it. No programs can see the video card at all (GPU-Z, Afterburner, etc). This obviously because of Windows and the Catalyst drivers. The problem is that all tutorials for DVI dummy plugs assume your card accepts DVI-I with the analog signal. It appears all the 290 cards only come with DVI-D (no analog signal). Is there an easy way to make a dummy plug for these?

For reference:
dual-dvi.jpg

Last edited:
BAMT does not require dummy plugs. Never used them on my windows boxes either.

If you use Linux you won't need a dummy plug.

That's actually not exactly true. It seems to be different based on motherboard, in my experience. I have BAMT running on several different motherboards, and one annoying one will only boot if there's a monitor attached.

windows VNC resolution is screwed up when I don't have a monitor plugged in but that's the only issue I've had other than windows activation crap stopping my boot before I disable that of course

That's actually not exactly true. It seems to be different based on motherboard, in my experience. I have BAMT running on several different motherboards, and one annoying one will only boot if there's a monitor attached.

Yeah I've read various comments from people using both Linux and Windows, some not needing plugs, others do, depends on mobo. I have an extra monitor but don't want to pull that extra power, even at idle, plus it's an inconvenience/takes up space. There has to be an easier solution. I'll post on the LTC forums to see what's been thrown around.

Best solution I've heard so far is an HDMI switch, but again it's powered.

Last edited:
Back