DVI KVM that supports 1920x1200

Lothar98

n00b
I'm looking to find a DVI KVM that will support a Dell 2405. I have read that technically the DVI signal at 19x12 is over spec range for DVI, and after doing some looking nearly all DVI KVMs on state that they support up to 16x12. I'm wondering if anyone here has one that is working or know of models that explicitly state 19x12 capability on DVI.

So far I have only found this one:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3113

and yes I have done some searching in the forums (5 pages of DVI/KVM search material)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=937118&highlight=DVI+KVM
---the above was placed here as flame retardant

I have never heard of gefen as a KVM manufacturer, but then I have only had a handful of KVMs in my time.

Thanks in advance

Lothar98 said:
I'm looking to find a DVI KVM that will support a Dell 2405. I have read that technically the DVI signal at 19x12 is over spec range for DVI, and after doing some looking nearly all DVI KVMs on state that they support up to 16x12. I'm wondering if anyone here has one that is working or know of models that explicitly state 19x12 capability on DVI.

So far I have only found this one:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3113

and yes I have done some searching in the forums (5 pages of DVI/KVM search material)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=937118&highlight=DVI+KVM
---the above was placed here as flame retardant

I have never heard of gefen as a KVM manufacturer, but then I have only had a handful of KVMs in my time.

Thanks in advance

“---the above was placed here as flame retardant”. Sorry, but that did make me laugh, cute comment.

I have tried a bunch of KVM for various reasons and to be honest I have yet to see one that didn’t in some way degrade the signal.

I’m sure you have a really valid reason to want one, but is it worth the loss (even slight) of quality of what is really a half decent monitor?

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of that one! I much prefer that to some forums where people will absolutely refuse to help you if you havent done at least a little looking. Mainly what I am looking for is people who have actually seen the end result. I'm sure that there will technically be some degradation (as there always is when adding another item to a display chain) But I would really like to recover some of my desk for a printer. I love my 2405, and I have a 19" mitsubishi next to it, one monitor/keyboard for my main PC, one for my server. If people say they have one and it sucks...good enough for me. But if I were to get a consensus that its hardly noticable, or not that bad, I would have to think about it a bit. I've also thought about just getting a standard VGA KVM and toggling with that (enabling monitor cloning on my main PC and using the DVI output for everything). But that will mean a few more keystrokes for every switch->call me LAZY! :D

I'm interested in a KVM with that proven capability as well. 1920 x 1200 is really pushing the limits of single-link DVI. Even with "reduced blanking" enabled I have to reduce my refresh freq. to around 53Hz. I'd hate to have to reduce it any more if I add a switch. Of course there's always dual-link DVI. Although personally I'm not ready (willing) to dump that kind of money yet on a second dual-link PCI-E card and $500+ quadruple DVI KVM switch.

Take a look at the IO Gear Miniview Extreme. It does 1920 x 1200 with audio. It works fine on my 2405.

No it does not. I am a dumb ass and read your post to quick. My server does not have DVI so I use video select on the Dell monitor and the KVM for keyboard, mouse and audio. Sorry.

ma1kmcn1 said:
No it does not. I am a dumb ass and read your post to quick. My server does not have DVI so I use video select on the Dell monitor and the KVM for keyboard, mouse and audio. Sorry.

It's cool. I could hook-up one computer through analog video since I don't do much graphic critical work on it and switch video through the monitor's video selector button. So you're not utilizing your KVM for video switching? Doesn't anyone make a model without the video switch? I would imagine that is the most expensive part of the device.

Just a warning: A KVM will cause pretty bad degradation to a 1920x1200 TMDS signal, the blurring will get pretty bad, and 1920x1200 is nasty over single link DVI to begin with.

NKDietrich said:
Just a warning: A KVM will cause pretty bad degradation to a 1920x1200 TMDS signal, the blurring will get pretty bad, and 1920x1200 is nasty over single link DVI to begin with.

Well that's basically why this thread was made - to see if anyone knows of a KVM good enough to hold the integrity of the signal. For the record I do 1920x1200 through single-link DVI to my HP L2335 and it's not "nasty" at all.

So did no one ever come up with a decent DVI KVM for this sort of thing?

I'm currently using my Xbox 360 on the VGA connector, and my primary rig with a 7800GTX on the DVI connector. My thought was to add my Apple PowerBook and other computers to the DVI connector using a KVM. I could switch between the Xbox 360 and computers on a VGA KVM, but that doesn't help me share the keyboard and mouse on my primary rig...

I guess what I COULD do is setup my 4-port VGA KVM, use the first port on that for my Xbox 360 video, and plug my USB Keyboard and Mouse into that. Leave that set to one to use with my primary rig, then use the other computers with VGA on 2, 3, and 4.

Dunno if that makes sense to anyone else, but I might try it tonight. :)

My eyesight is bad to begin with so I may be the last person to comment but I shelled out for the 4x1 Gefen DVI switch (mistakenly got the one with a ADC (?) port for Mac monitors but since that's just another output, I don't care). Outside it being pricey, the sucker is built like a tank. I currently have three systems hooked up to it all at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz to a 2405FPW. Video cards include a 6800GT, 7900GT and X1900XTX. I do all my normal work (e-mail, surfing, coding, 3D CGI/Graphics stuff, etc) on the 7900GT system & gaming on the X1900XTX. The 6800GT system barely gets any use atm. In all three cases though, text seems very clear to me. In fact I thought I'd NEVER be able to read text without tweaking font sizes at 1920x1200. I also shelled out for the wired remote as the IR remote wasn't too effective where I put the KVM. I don't regret the Gefen purchase at all.

I've tried various KVMs over the years and always had problems with USB keyboard & mouse switching in one shape or form. These KVMs typically did some form of 'emulation' to try and trick the system you're not switched to thinking there's something there. The USB ports on the Gefen are essentially like a hub. No emulation. And with the six systems that has been hooked up to it over the months, I have never had any problems. Just the delay for XP to discover the devices and bam (but in the case of my A8N32 systems with SB Live X-Fis, had to disable one of the Creative bits as it'd seem to freak out when switching to/from now and then). RIght now, a G15 keyboard and a MX 1000 are hooked up with applicable drivers. Works perfectly when switching.

One thing I saw on Gefen's forums a while back was an issue with the 2 port model that, at the time, did not automatically sync to the signals on each port and required you to tweak some pots to get things just right. Gefen said they were working on an updated model that fixed that and may have one out already.

This KVM may not have bells and whistles like hot key switching but it's been rock solid. About the only thing that'd tear me away from it would be a Dell 3007FPW, a replacement for the 6800GT AGP card to do dual link DVI and increase the desktop resolution. And I see Gefen has a new model to handle such resolutions. :)

Sorry for the book. Hope this helps any.

Thanks for sharing and your mini review of the Gefen. I too have been looking for one that will work with my wide screen Dell2005 FPW. I too maybe upgrading to a 2407 later, but manily looking for a switch that will work with DVI and USB. This sounds like my best best so far. Thanks again.
ReelMcCoy said:
My eyesight is bad to begin with so I may be the last person to comment but I shelled out for the 4x1 Gefen DVI switch (mistakenly got the one with a ADC (?) port for Mac monitors but since that's just another output, I don't care). Outside it being pricey, the sucker is built like a tank. I currently have three systems hooked up to it all at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz to a 2405FPW. Video cards include a 6800GT, 7900GT and X1900XTX. I do all my normal work (e-mail, surfing, coding, 3D CGI/Graphics stuff, etc) on the 7900GT system & gaming on the X1900XTX. The 6800GT system barely gets any use atm. In all three cases though, text seems very clear to me. In fact I thought I'd NEVER be able to read text without tweaking font sizes at 1920x1200. I also shelled out for the wired remote as the IR remote wasn't too effective where I put the KVM. I don't regret the Gefen purchase at all.

I've tried various KVMs over the years and always had problems with USB keyboard & mouse switching in one shape or form. These KVMs typically did some form of 'emulation' to try and trick the system you're not switched to thinking there's something there. The USB ports on the Gefen are essentially like a hub. No emulation. And with the six systems that has been hooked up to it over the months, I have never had any problems. Just the delay for XP to discover the devices and bam (but in the case of my A8N32 systems with SB Live X-Fis, had to disable one of the Creative bits as it'd seem to freak out when switching to/from now and then). RIght now, a G15 keyboard and a MX 1000 are hooked up with applicable drivers. Works perfectly when switching.

One thing I saw on Gefen's forums a while back was an issue with the 2 port model that, at the time, did not automatically sync to the signals on each port and required you to tweak some pots to get things just right. Gefen said they were working on an updated model that fixed that and may have one out already.

This KVM may not have bells and whistles like hot key switching but it's been rock solid. About the only thing that'd tear me away from it would be a Dell 3007FPW, a replacement for the 6800GT AGP card to do dual link DVI and increase the desktop resolution. And I see Gefen has a new model to handle such resolutions. :)

Sorry for the book. Hope this helps any.
:D

Back