DVI Losing Signal in 169.21 drivers

ilikecake

Gawd
Hi,

I am using the 196.21 NVIDIA drivers for my 8800GTX on windows XP. I have this switch so I can attach bolth my computer and PS3 to my monitor. It has HDMI input instead of DVI, hence the HDMI switch. However, there is a problem switching. Switching to the PS3 works fine, but when I switch back to the computer, the screen stays black. This switch used to work with older drivers, however, with the new drivers it does not. Has anyone else had this problem?

The fact that a driver update broke it seems to point to that being the cause, but I cannot rule out a bad switch. With the old switch, the screen would blackout occasionally. This may point to a bad switch.

install the old drivers again to confirm whether its the drivers or the switch

this has been an outstanding issue with the catalysts drivers for over a year now. It can be a major pita...Just bit on a new Nvidia card so i don't have to deal with the craptastic catalysts drivers anymore. Hope i'm not having to deal with this with nvidia now.

Well think about what is happening here. You have a HDCP/HDMI connection to the monitor. I think the switch just passes through, it doesn't "converse" with the video card at all. You throw the switch, and the video card isn't attached to the monitor any longer. The HDCP/HDMI handshake breaks down. You throw thw switch again, it is reconnected but nothing tells the video card to re-negotiate the HDCP/HDMI and the video card still thinks there is no monitor.

It could be an HDMI issue, or an HDCP issue. You could try ANYDVD-HD and see if nullifying HDCP makes the issue go away, if so it was HDCP, otherwise it's HDMI.

Back