DX9 artifacts, how is this not fixed yet?

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
These frame latency issues that I've seen in one game seem to be the big issue these days but there is another issue (well, two really) that I see far more often and find far more annoying. Those are the DX9 artifacts. Its an issue that I've actually seen quite a few people bitch about on the forums and have seen myself in too many games. How the fuck are there no articles about this? No one notices it? This issue I actually have seen people on the forums mention.

I would rather see this fixed than the frame latency issues. Well, I would love to see the both fixed but I think that they should put some effort into this one first.

Here is a rather large thread on guru3d with some videos of the issue.

Last edited:
Because it's not a benchmark where nVidia can claim superiority so it's not pushed down the reviewer's and public's throats.

Now I've seen reports of the "Dx9 bug", but from what I've read it's really a couple of games, which are Dx9 games, that have issues. Is that correct?

Its not just a couple of games. Its quite a few DX9 games. It happens randomly in most source titles, GTA4, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Fallout NV, Hard Reset, COD BO, and quite a few others.

that not everyone has the issue would indicate it's not driver related.

my 7850 has never done any of that stuff in any of those games.

weird, first time i've heard anything about this and ive had my 7970 since launch date.
i play a good amount of dx9 games too

Its not just a couple of games. Its quite a few DX9 games. It happens randomly in most source titles, GTA4, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Fallout NV, Hard Reset, COD BO, and quite a few others.

Never seen it with skyrim, TW2, fallout NV, or COD BO.

It probably has to do with people overclocking the shit out of their GPUs and expecting them to work flawlessly.

Its noticeable for me with Skyrim (using a 7970) but I also haven't played in awhile so I'm not sure if the same with the latest drivers. The mountains or anything far in the background will flicker around often and does get annoying to see. Haven't notice it with any other games though.

I got this support reply today, it's not funny:

Your service request : SR has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
This case has been escalated to me to review and offer assistance with. I understand that you are getting corruption in AoE: Online.

I fear the issue is simply one of compatibility. An old DX9 video game from WindowsXP days with top-tier DX11 modern-day equipment with drivers written expressly with a focus on Win7 and DX11.

You are welcome to use the Issue Report Form for Catalyst 13.1. www.amd.com/report. However, please understand that issues reported are prioritized appropriately.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
Marc
AMD Global Customer Care

They have supposedly been trying to fix this for over a year now and I guess this is what it has come to. :(

The AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 release notes do mention that there is some kind of fix for DirectX 9.0c titles. "Resolves image corruption found in certain DirectX 9.0c titles" I'm not sure which titles are DirectX 9.0c.

It did fix two of the games I play but not all. Maybe they have to make a profile for each game.

Which drivers were you using with FNV and TW2?

12.1 to newer. I held out with 12.4 for quite awhile. it seemed to work well enough with Skyrim providing I didn't enable crossfire. Use of crossfire would cause oddities in the background.

I have tried out the newer 13.1 with those titles and everything seems kosher, even with crossfire enabled. Skyrim included

I had odd issues with drivers between 12.4 to 13.0 and generally didn't use them.
So far, life has been ok with the use of 13.0 and 13.1. With the exception of LotR War in the North. A DX9 title as well. The Cat 13.x series do not seem to play well with that title, and it is not worth going backwards to try and get to work.

Not a huge concern as a team green is easily available in another box.

My HD-7750 has the same problem, actually. It's pretty random and just seems to happen for no reason.

It probably has to do with people overclocking the shit out of their GPUs and expecting them to work flawlessly.

Nope, no OC. I even underclocked the 7970 cards in steps down as low as they would go. Nothing has helped thus far.

It's now fixed with the 13.2 Beta drivers.

I've got some testing to do now. :) But it said that in the 12.11 Beta 11 and 13.1 drivers. They don't say what games so maybe it's a game by game tweek they have to make. Hope not.

Back