dynex 500 watt what oem is it?

xkon

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm lookin to build a new computer for a buddy of mine. we're broke haters, and can't afford anything too bling bling. i know not to skimp out on psu's and recommended a few good ones, but if we can get something for cheaper we're all for it. we're thinking about gettin the Dynex® - ATX Mid-Tower PC Case Model: DX-MIDTWER | SKU: 8329864 at bestbuy because it's $20 right now. I was going to get an antec truepower trio 430 for $40 instead (i know lots of death rates with that too), but this one was very cheap (price is a huge factor) + it has a cheap case we can throw stuff in later. edit: now i'm wondering between this guy ($20), an antec smart blue 350 (pull from another system), or a true power trio 430 ($40)...

anticipated parts:
e2180
8800gt/9600gt
4gb ddr2
p35 mobo
cm geminII
dvd rw
320gb hdd

or

p4 2.4ghz
9600pro
1gb ddr
soyo 875i mobo
xp90
dvdrw
120gb hdd

i just want to know what the oem is. it claims 80% efficiency so uhh if it really is that good i really do wonder what oem it is. it is huntkey, thanks paul johnson! (specs from dynex say DX-PS500W is 70%) now i'm not sure if it's the same psu. so confused...

i think it's specs are:
DX-PS500W
found at http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=40304
Dynex 500 watt PSU

PC output +5v=40A (red), +12v1=16A (Yellow), +3.3v=35A(Orange), +12V3= 28(yellow/black) -5v+0.5A (white, -12 V= 0.5 (blue), +5VSB= 2.5 A (Purple)

output 500 W, +5V, +3.3V:180W

AC input 115/230 V~60/50 HZ 114A

pics jacked from sharky974:

The PSU says Dynex. Like I said I'm sure it's not the best, but it'll work for me.

I'm sure there are much better cases to be had even for the price, but if you ever just need to get something at brick and mortar for cheap this case is out there.

Here's a couple pics.

dscf0269za0.jpg

dscf0268za2.jpg

Doesn't look or feel cheap at all, it's a quality case.

i'm so dumb. says right there in the post from nvidia forums that it's huntkey. lol. ummm... never heard of that brand before. reliable? i don't need no bling, just needs to be reliable.
hmmm.... manual says it's 70% efficiency. doh! i'm thinkin they arent the same psu's... the DX-PS500W is different because of the efficiency rating. now i'm really startin to wonder.

someone said that dynex/rocketfish are shipping with antec psu's?
HawaiianBoy2593
post Jul 30 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,473

QUOTE(Sonny @ Jul 23 2007, 07:17 PM)
No offence , but Dynex is really a low end PSU. It is a Best Buy brand, and made by Huntkey. Can`t find any relevant info on it other than it has a 500W model.
I`m betting the PSU is still underpowering the card.
What you need in a PSU is a strong +12V Amp rating , atleast 18A or higher.

Actually Best Buy has picked up Antec to make their Dynex and Rocketfish brand power supplies...

Actually Best Buy has picked up Antec to make their Dynex and Rocketfish brand power supplies...

Wha??? No. First off... Antec doesn't make PSU's. Second, Best Buy sells BOTH Antec and Dynex and Rocketfish as well as BFG power supplies. Online, they also offer Thermaltake. All very separate and unique companies.

Wha??? No. First off... Antec doesn't make PSU's. Second, Best Buy sells BOTH Antec and Dynex and Rocketfish as well as BFG power supplies. Online, they also offer Thermaltake. All very separate and unique companies.

thanks! good to know.

since your here... do you have any opinions about huntkey? i read a review about their 450watt green star exploding due to overloading the 12v rails, a 5v rail switching transistor, or whatever the problem was. madshrimps had one on the huntkey HK500-13BP(ATX12V V2.0) that they rated real well. i don't even know if that psu comes in this case because it is rated at 70% efficiency while the one in the case is rated at 80%. i don't have much info and am just going on what other people are saying. would you be able to point me in the right direction at all?
any idea what psu this case is using?
better for me to just look the other way, and stop dreamin about a psu/case combo on clearance for $20 that can actually be good?

lol. i'm impatient i'm going to go to BB and snap some pics... i might just pick it up for the hell of it. i have an old case, but it's cheap aluminum and is warping all over the place.. hmmm...

They work well when they work.... And you know the REAL specs.

They're all rated at peak, which is about 100W over continuous. They're also rated at 25°C.

The good news is they're inexpensive, efficient and do have the appropriate protection circuitry (well... unless you blow one up on the primary side, but that doesn't tend to damage your PC.)

Just know that if you're getting a "550W Huntkey" it's really a 450W and at 40°C it may only be able to do 300W.

There's MANY better choices out there, even for the same amount of money (considering Best Buy sells this stuff with a 400% markup) but I'd take one over a Deer, Powmax, Codegen, etc.

Even at $20 ($18 since I used a 10% coupon), these PSUs are not worth it. I have an old Antec True 430 with 28A 12V rail and am thinking of upgrading since I am getting a 8800GT soon. Well, I got this home and found my OCd Q6600 needed 1.3625V to boot instead of 1.350V and my old X850XT seemed to draw too much since it would crash if I OCd it at all playing World in Conflict. Also, I have a generic case and had been idling at 36-37C, 48 under load. I tried the Dynex case (I liked its features) but ended up +5C idling and under load. It's going back tomorrow.

This would be a good deal for a stock clocked system with small video card.

Back