E4200 Cutting speeds in half.

martinmsj

[H]ard|Gawd
Posting my comment from Anandtech,

I had bought an E4200 to replace a WRT310N that started acting up (going unresponsive.) I had issues where I would get abysmal download speeds on wired. I moved my cable modem to as few splits as possible and that resolved most of the issue (though I argue that my speeds were fast for a year until 2-3 weeks ago and the split had nothing to do with it. Now I get 8-12 where as I had 12-15 for though it's better then the .5 I was getting.)

Anyway I noticed right away that when connecting the E4200 my speeds are cut by a 1/2 in comparison to connecting directly to the modem. I upgraded to the latest firmware which not only did not fixed the issue, but broke other features of this router (media server does not work among other things.) Cisco is testing new firmware that won't be available until the end of September if everything goes well.

I found this out because I got an the new Airport Extreme Gen 5 for my side of the house recently. I got curious and switched out the new AE and saw that my speeds were as fast as connected directly to the modem. I spent my Saturday night testing these both by themselves and my notebook and confirmed the E4200 is cutting internet speeds in half. When I hooked everything up the speeds were similar to when I was the only device connected to it.

Right now I have the AE Gen 5 connected to the modem on the other side of the house while the old WRT310 is on my side with my devices wired in (no wireless on my side for the moment.) Wired into the WRT310 which is wired to the AE Gen 5 (we have a 100 foot cable that runs outside along the roof) and using speedtest.net (used them and the same server for all testing) I get 7-9 Mbps compared to the 2-4 on the E4200.

Something is definitely wrong and luckily I got the E4200 at Best Buy on sale (130USD though it's back up to 180) and they have a 45 day return policy for Reward Zone Silver members (Dad bought a mac book pro from them thus spent enough to qualify.) I will be returning it and maybe getting another AE Gen 5 or just waiting it out to see if the new firmware fixes the E4200 download/upload speed issue. (I can live without wireless in my room for month.)

If you're debating, now is not the time to buy an E4200.

Anyone having similar issue or can run some test? I'm returning the E4200 I have. I'm debating on getting another E4200 and seeing if I still have the issue. I don't want to make 3 trips however the E4200 for 130 at Best Buy was a steal. (It went back up to 180.) If I wait a month it would probably be not worth it since I would just get another Gen 5 AE now and be done with it.

Why are you telling people not to buy the E4200? it is one of the best routers out right now.

This could be a problem with the channel you are using. Check the channel your old router was using and set that on your E4200.

Also i would test if you get the same speeds when you are directly connected to one of the switch ports instead of using the wireless. This way you can isolate if it is a problem with the router or the wireless setup.

Why are you telling people not to buy the E4200? it is one of the best routers out right now.

This could be a problem with the channel you are using. Check the channel your old router was using and set that on your E4200.

Also i would test if you get the same speeds when you are directly connected to one of the switch ports instead of using the wireless. This way you can isolate if it is a problem with the router or the wireless setup.

Dude, I wrote that it was on a wired connection. WIRED. This isn't on wireless, it's on wired. The e4200 right now is cutting wired speeds in half. The media server, USB , etc.. not working is a result of the firmware acknowledged by Cisco is from their forums. They said they have a fix at the...nevermind..RtFP.

Last edited:
Back