E4300 and Super PI

rcrez

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone, I am getting 39 seconds on a 1M super PI calculation using my E4300 at 1.85ghz (minor overclock).

From looking at online results, this score is pretty pathetic for an E4300. A more reasonable score is around 30 seconds.

I also have an ECS motherboard, 512MB DDR400, 80GB HD (8MB cache).

Could those factors be affecting the results as well? I'm about 33% slower than where I need to be....

Which makes the biggest impact, RAM or HD?

Do I need SATA?

RAM. HD is irrelevant in SuperPi results (note that the HD light is not lit in any stage of the calculation).

If you want to upgrade, get DDR2 ram of at least 667.

SuperPi is very sensitive to memory bandwidth and timings so your ram is bottlenecking big time. Get a DDR2-667 at least with tight timings to get better scores.

Just have to echo what I've read here so far.

A Faster HD might help LOAD superpi quicker, but it's sure as hell not going to help it calculate faster.

Note the distinction between a faster HD and a faster BUS. You said, "Do I need SATA" which is only a faster BUS. An identical SATA and IDE Harddrive will perform the exact same... Right now, the bus makes NO DIFFERENCE. If you want a faster HD, look for one with a faster spindle speed.... Most HD's are 7200rpm, you'd need to grab one that's at least 10k RPM.

Now, onto SuperPi. Yes, RAM is much, much more important... But so is a good motherboard. The speed difference between DDR400 and DDR2-800 (don't get 667 RAM if 800 is only about 5-10$ more) is huge... And easily accounts for 20-30% of that bottleneck.

If you are really interested in performance tuning running the Super Pi 32M not the 1M. The 1M is way too sensitive to the amount of CPU cache.

15.2 seconds? how much did you overclock

does the 2MB cache and 4MB cache make a big difference for the core 2 duo chips?

15.2 seconds? how much did you overclock

does the 2MB cache and 4MB cache make a big difference for the core 2 duo chips?

No the 2MB cache and 4MB cache makes a very small difference in real life -- 2-3%. But in the Super Pi 1M it makes a huge difference, it cuts several seconds off your time. And that, in a nutshell, is why I think the Super Pi 1MB is a useless benchmark.

No the 2MB cache and 4MB cache makes a very small difference in real life -- 2-3%. But in the Super Pi 1M it makes a huge difference, it cuts several seconds off your time. And that, in a nutshell, is why I think the Super Pi 1MB is a useless benchmark.

Yeah... I honestly couldn't agree more. I like the 8m test personally.

Back