e4300 not overclocking well, suggestions?

xkon

[H]ard|Gawd
first off i'll start off with specs:

e4300 SL9TB 0649A111
asus p5n-e sli
2gb teamgroup xtreem ddr2 5300 3-4-4-8 D9GMH
EVGA 7900gt ko
x-fi platinum
250gb seagate 7200.10
nec 3550a DVD burner
Seasonic m12 700
stock e6300 heatsink
zalman ZM-NBF47 on southbridge

other system uses same ram and cpu
abit fatatl1ty f-i90hd
80gb wd 8mb cache special
thermaltake tr2 430
noctua nh-u9

i was planning on doing an matx setup as soon as the abit board came out. i used it to overclock my L629 e6300 to 2.51GHz (359x7). i shipped that cpu off to trade for an old e6300 i'd sold off last year (L627 that did 499x7 /w my biostar 965pt). i got impatient and after reading many successful stories on the gaming matx board forum about great successes with the abit board and e4300's i went to fry's and bought an oem one packaged in an anti static bag /w no plastic case, in a combo deal. i put it into the abit board /w 1gb of team ram, and 80gb drive. at first it wouldn't boot up, so i reset the cmos. so i go into bios and overclock it a little (2.2v on ram). not sure what the numbers were, but it was a slight overclock (less that 20mhz over stock on the bus speed because of the x9 multiplier). it locks up on restart so i turn it off and hope that the auto overclock thing kicks in to reset cmos. it doesn't. this time it finishes detection screen and errors start poppin up. i turn it off and reset cmos. i turn it on and fans/leds work, but nothing on my keyboard/monitor.

i throw the ram into my p5n-e that has a celeron 356 in it, and it detects just fine in windows. so i take the celeron out and put it into the abit board /w the same stick of ram. same leds/fans on no monitor/keyboard signal. i switch to the ram that hadn't been in the abit board yet, and still the same thing. so i stick the e4300 into the p5n-e and woolah, boots right up.

i OC by upping the rated fsb up about 50mhz each time (starts off at 800). i get it to 1000 and the bios locks up on detecting ide drives. i turn it off, wait 15 seconds, and turn it on. it boots up, i go into bios, about to load default settings, and it freezes. so i restart. this time it just keeps freezing after cpu speed detected. so i manually reset cmos. it orthos's fine in windows. so i go back to overclocking, except this time i throw in more voltage. 1.4v. i start off at 900, then 950. i orthos 950 for a 17+ hours (40*C-46*C), and move on to 1000. freezes on bootup screen. i turn it off for 15 seconds, and am able to get into bios to load default. it starts up fine, i screw around in windows while orthosing and then up it to 1000 again @ 1.45volts. freezes on bootup. so i give up. i'm at default settings right now.

i might try my asus p5b deluxe also, but i'm tired of switching stuff around, and applying thermal paste etc...

i went to a thread about a guy who couldn't get 2.9ghz on his e4300 and posted my results, but was told to make my own post. more people can see my pitiful attempts at oc'n an e4300. woohoo! well here i am. any suggestions? am in a p5n-e fsb hole? is my stock heatsink limiting me (even though i'm running at a little over 40C's)?

pics:

steppings
error message

first off i'll start off with specs:

e4300 SL9TB 0649A111
asus p5n-e sli
2gb teamgroup xtreem ddr2 5300 3-4-4-8 D9GMH
message[/url]

Would your ram be the limiting factor? Do you mean pc5300?, which is ddr 667. If it is, you should be able to get to 333mhz, which would have the FSB running at 1332mhz.

Have you run memtest with the ram running at 333mhz? It could be your ram is not stable even when running at it's rated speed, and you may need to rma the ram.

Would your ram be the limiting factor? Do you mean pc5300?, which is ddr 667. If it is, you should be able to get to 333mhz, which would have the FSB running at 1332mhz.

Have you run memtest with the ram running at 333mhz? It could be your ram is not stable even when running at it's rated speed, and you may need to rma the ram.

it's teamgroup's xtreem ddr2 using micronD9GMH IC's. it's rated at 667, but i've oc'd it to 1050 before (others have gone higher). the last time i memtested it was when i first got it about september of last year i think. did fine. that was the only time i've really stressed it. as of late it's been running at slower speeds than it's max (850). it orthosed fine at 850 for 17 hours last night.

i'll give it a go tonight when i'm not using the computer as much.

FWIW.... I got a craptacular (prolly just immature) Abit IB9 motherboard based on the P965 chipset. Right now I am happily running along w/ my E4300 @ 3Ghz (333*9) on stock vcore.

I dunno why yours is doing that to you tho. I guess that I would keep trying anything and everything as far as setups if it is readily available to you.

FWIW.... I got a craptacular (prolly just immature) Abit IB9 motherboard based on the P965 chipset. Right now I am happily running along w/ my E4300 @ 3Ghz (333*9) on stock vcore.

I dunno why yours is doing that to you tho. I guess that I would keep trying anything and everything as far as setups if it is readily available to you.

i remember reading some stuff about how cool that board is. something about power/reset buttons and cmos switches (about frikkin time). tired of pulling out battery and hard resetting my asus boards whenever i get too excited.

yah... i should try out my p5b. i'm bein lazy though. can't decide whether i want to research parts for the new setup or fiddle with this cpu. can't wait for my old e6300 to come back though. :D

holy smokes.... i threw it in my p5b and it's oc'n like a champ... i'm at 3150 (350x9) @ 1400 right now. dangit... what's up with my p5n then... new bios out on it yet?
maybe my board doesn't like playing with my ram? hrmm.. i'll mess around a bit more later...

holy smokes.... i threw it in my p5b and it's oc'n like a champ... i'm at 3150 (350x9) @ 1400 right now. dangit... what's up with my p5n then... new bios out on it yet?
maybe my board doesn't like playing with my ram? hrmm.. i'll mess around a bit more later...

See... not a bad chip just need the right combo for it.

See... not a bad chip just need the right combo for it.

really cruddy still since everyone on the abit forum's been pulling off nice OC's. i'm gonna order some ram maybe, see if that'll do the trick. just seems so off since the darn thing did so well with my e6300/teamgroup combo, but since my abit board doesnt want to boot anymore after using the e4300 i'll just err... sit back and hope it fixes itself... like the p5b deluxe did. refuses to work for 2months, and right when i'm in the middle of rma'n it ready to ship it out and what not, a last minute test says hey! i'm working now! hope this abit aint the same way.

There are fsb "holes" on the P5N-E SLI, I noticed it with mine while overclocking. Like it would lock up with the fsb at 1150 but at 1149 and 1151 it would run great. Try it without setting the fsb to 1000. As another tip while ocing I jumped around at unequal intervals. It seemed to me that the nice even numbers were most often the holes.

There are fsb "holes" on the P5N-E SLI, I noticed it with mine while overclocking. Like it would lock up with the fsb at 1150 but at 1149 and 1151 it would run great. Try it without setting the fsb to 1000. As another tip while ocing I jumped around at unequal intervals. It seemed to me that the nice even numbers were most often the holes.

awesome. thanks for the intel. i'll hop it up to see if that's the reason.

really cruddy still since everyone on the abit forum's been pulling off nice OC's. i'm gonna order some ram maybe, see if that'll do the trick. just seems so off since the darn thing did so well with my e6300/teamgroup combo, but since my abit board doesnt want to boot anymore after using the e4300 i'll just err... sit back and hope it fixes itself... like the p5b deluxe did. refuses to work for 2months, and right when i'm in the middle of rma'n it ready to ship it out and what not, a last minute test says hey! i'm working now! hope this abit aint the same way.

well before you go waste money on ram, why dont you lower your divider to take it out of the equation and see how much clock speed and/or fsb your cpu/mainboard has?

my FSB is set to 1333
my memory speed is 667; 4-4-4-12 1T
all voltages auto
bios 0202

i set my FSB to 1333 and ram to 4-4-4-12 1T on my first visit to the BIOS.
i left my voltage to auto like it was for the 805D (@ 3.33) i just pulled yesterday.

i read about the fsb holes at anandtech in december before i had the board myself in january... personally, i've been pretty safe at the standard me-computer-likey 333's without venturing elsewhere in the spectrum of who cares 17:36 timings that you could come up with.

unbeatable for $500CDN, cpu/mobo and rock solid, even with m-audio gear weirding up the usb interface

well before you go waste money on ram, why dont you lower your divider to take it out of the equation and see how much clock speed and/or fsb your cpu/mainboard has?

:D i have them running unlinked. so there really is no divider. the p5b + e4300 + teamgroup is just fine, the p5n e is having issues (probably fsb holes), and the abit doesnt work anymore (i got one of the few that die after a few days)

lol. update... abit is bein ghetto. second mobo's onboard video is malfunctioning so i have to return it too... dangit. but anyhow.. here's an update on how i'm doin with the p5b deluxe:

3383 (376x9) :D i'm fine with that result. bwahaha. almost up to my ol' e6300 @ 3497. doh! hopefully it's my cooling or something, if not... that's still a keeper.

Back