e4300 or e6420? please help

Robc1880

Limp Gawd
I need to order a CPU for my new rig, already have the mobo, and ram. My problem is I can't decide which is the better route to go. I plan on OC'ing to 3Ghz. I do some gaming, HL2, BF2, Doom3...etc. I am getting into some picture/video editing.

New Rig:
e4300 or e6420
zalman 9700 cooler
Badaxe2
Mushkin HP2-6400 2x1GB

Whatever isn't listed is going to be carried over from my rig in my sig. Which of these CPU's do you think would suite me best? Thanks in advance.

Its tough but, the E6420 will oc higher. If all you want is 3ghz tho, id almost say the E4300, which is far cheaper. The E6420 will probably oc easier and on less volts but.....that cpu is more for people trying to do over 3ghz.

honestly if the price difference doesnt bother you theyou will just be overall happier...

The E4300 is much better as far as cost/performance goes. The E6420 costs about 60% more and with overclocking will yield at most around 15% performance increase (estimated 3.6ghz vs 3.2ghz). However, if budget is not a major concern for you, you might as well get the 6420 (or 6600) and you will be happy knowing that you have a very nice cpu.

I am considering both these chips as well. If you plan to upgrade to quad core within a year I would say go with the 4300.

if cost isn't a factor than definitely go with the better chip stock, the e6420 in your case. but if cost is a factor and if you plan on going with a quad core later on then use the cheaper chip as a stopgap.

I just sold a couple more parts locally and now have enough money to get the e6420, will order in a few minutes prolly from the egg. Thanks everyone for the help. didn't realize that the conroe cores are better than allendale.

I just sold a couple more parts locally and now have enough money to get the e6420, will order in a few minutes prolly from the egg. Thanks everyone for the help. didn't realize that the conroe cores are better than allendale.

MWave has CPUs much cheaper than both ZZF and the Egg! Or how about ClubIT?

actually, mwave with 2day is only $0.50 cheaper than the egg. The egg tends to get these to me in 2 days anyways(just 6 hours north of them). From all the pricing I've done, it all comes out to within a couple dollars difference, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Back