E4300 temps

merlin87

Gawd
I just wanted to get everyones temp. Please post where you are getting your temps from and your idle + load temps.

Intel TAT
Idle = 60*c
Load = 71*c
1.8ghz @ 3.4ghz
1.5v

Once I get stable for ~8 hours on orthos Im going to bump up to 3.5ghz. Are these temps too hight? Im using a Tuniq 120. Neither the CPU or HSF are lapped. I need to try and reseat the HSF.

CoreTemp 0.95 seems to be the most accurate for reporting temps, especially with an E4300.

Your idle temp is too high. Re-do your heatsink installation and try to cover a rectangular area on your cpu heat spreader directly over top of where the cores are with a thin layer of AS5 or equivalent.

To run 3400 MHz I need 1.392 volts as reported by CPUz while running Orthos. 1.500 volts for the core adds a lot of extra heat but I hear some of these new Allendale core processors need the extra juice to be stable. See if you can lower the volts while maintaining Orthos stability and you will take a lot of heat out of your processor.

I use Coretemp 0.95 and I get 40C idle and 68C loaded with an E4300 at 3.3 with 1.3625 volts. I lapped mine because it was seriously concave - knocked my temps down about 7C.

I actually got to 3.5ghz stable at 1.5v. Anything lower I can get stable. Even when I was at 3.0ghz at 1.44v I was getting about the same temps.

3.24 at 1.38v, 71c load in TAT/Coretemp.
using a zalman 9700. makes me wonder if i put the damn thing on correctly

With CoreTemp 0.95 the reported temps should be comparable to the Conroe E6x00 processors.

The E4300 has a Tmax of 100C vs 85C for most of the other C2D processors but the temperature number reported by the above software should be directly comparable.

With CoreTemp 0.95 the reported temps should be comparable to the Conroe E6x00 processors.

The E4300 has a Tmax of 100C vs 85C for most of the other C2D processors but the temperature number reported by the above software should be directly comparable.

the fact the Tjunctions are different says otherwise.
seems L2's run hotter?

merlin, you can definitely drop your vcore back a lot, that'll make a big difference

I use Coretemp 0.95 and I get 40C idle and 68C loaded with an E4300 at 3.3 with 1.3625 volts. I lapped mine because it was seriously concave - knocked my temps down about 7C.

what kind of cooling are you using?

ah well it is at 3.4!!!
those temperatures are fine (atleast IMO), that puts the Tcase at 56 (71 - 15) doesnt it? intel say recommended 61c max . so that's fine...

anyone like to confirm that's right for Tcase?

I am not sure what you mean by Tcase.

Im debating on getting the zalman HSF. The tuniq is good, but its just too huge and I think the weight is taking an effect on cooling, because its standing upright. What do you guys think?? Id hate to buy another HSF and find out Im getting the same temps. Air is the only way Ill got right now. I tried water and I dont want to go back. I reseted my HSF and my temps are lower at idle, but go up to 70*c @ load. I followed AS5 instructions and just put a thin line over the cores then smashed it with the HSF. Im just scared of tightening the screws too tight.

If your temps are getting to 70c under load in TAT, like I said I think that's fine. My temps are the same as yours.
I wouldn't change your HSF, it's only gonna get worse.

If you seriously do want to get better temperature, you'll have to look at water cooling or something else, but your temperatures are fine.

Tcase is the temperature at the top centre of the cpu, when Intel recommend a max of 61, it's for this. TAT reports the die temperatures right? and Tcase is 15 degrees less than that?
Can someone else confirm my theory?

I agree that 70C is not unreasonable for a loaded max temp. I've got the Ultra-120 and get the same temps. Either Allendales run hotter, or they are able to run hotter than the Conroes - otherwise why would Intel change the Tmax on them? Has anyone confirmed whether throttling still kicks in at 85C for Allendales?

I've never heard of Tcase.

If your temps are getting to 70c under load in TAT, like I said I think that's fine. My temps are the same as yours.
I wouldn't change your HSF, it's only gonna get worse.

If you seriously do want to get better temperature, you'll have to look at water cooling or something else, but your temperatures are fine.

Tcase is the temperature at the top centre of the cpu, when Intel recommend a max of 61, it's for this. TAT reports the die temperatures right? and Tcase is 15 degrees less than that?
Can someone else confirm my theory?

seems L2's run hotter?
The fact that Tjunction is 100C for the E4300 vs 85C for the other C2D processors doesn't mean that it runs hotter. It only means that Intel has added an additional 15C of headroom onto the processor before thermal throttling will kick in. I haven't seen a real world test yet to confirm that the E4300 doesn't start to throttle until it approaches 100C.

These lower end processors often times end up in small, poorly ventilated cases so Intel gave manufacturers a little bit of extra wiggle room when designing their computers. If a company can save a quarter by removing a case fan and not have to worry about their computer crashing then they will.

The heat a processor produces depends on voltage and the frequency it operates at. If anything, the E4300 probably puts out slightly less heat than an E6600 Conroe when operated at the same voltage and frequency because it has half as much cache built into it creating heat.

TAT was designed for testing laptops. If you use it to load your processor then it will create more heat than Orthos does. I think Orthos is a better real world test because I haven't found any real world apps, including Folding, that create as much heat as Orthos does. TAT is a little overkill. Being TAT stable is definitely something to be proud of though.

I really thought I would of had 3.5ghz stable, but I guess I spoke too soon. Orthos failed after 4 hours. I dont feel like upping the voltage anymore, so I think Im going to keep her at 3.4ghz.

Thanks for all the great info. I hope this thread can develop and help others. For now Im sticking with the TT120.

I get ~30-40C idle and 60C load in TAT with my e4300 at 3.06 ghz, stock voltage. I'm not gunna up the voltage until I water cool, it gets to hot for my liking.

My E6400 requires 1.392 volts as reported by CPUz while running Orthos to be stable at 3400 MHz. It can run at 3500 MHz or even 3600 MHz but the voltage needs to go up over 1.500 volts which creates too much extra heat. I decided on 3400 MHz for my 24/7 setting.

merlin87: How much voltage does your E4300 need at 3400 MHz to be Orthos stable?

Really nice chart here showing how voltage has to go up as the MHz goes up:
http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=500&page=5

So much for the theory that Allendales can't overclock. I think people need to try harder. :D

I think at 3.4ghz my voltage was at 1.45. I actually dont remember. I got to check when I get home. Im going to go back to 3.4ghz and then see how low on the volts I can go.

3150 @ 1.418
Load:67C
Idle: ~40C

3.24 at 1.38v, 71c load in TAT/Coretemp.
using a zalman 9700. makes me wonder if i put the damn thing on correctly

I wonder the same thing with my Ninja. With all this f-ing air going through my case, how is it possible that these temps are this ridiculous? Idk, I thought the core2 chips were supposed to be cool running, but whatever I guess.

ordered some liquid pro thermal paste from germany to use on my 9700.
hopefully that'll drop temps 5c, and then i can squeeze out another 100-200 mhz.

Back