E4500 Overclocking

itzhobbes

Weaksauce
Hello all. I'm probably gonna purchase an E4500 right now to hold me over until I can get a Q6600. I already have 4GB's of DDR2-800 RAM. In order to run a 1:1 ratio I would need overclock the E4500 FSB to 400mhz and reduce the multiplier from 11 to 8. Heck, I wouldn't mind reducing it to 7 to keep everything stable. Now my question is, is it possible to increase the FSB by that much and reduce the multiplier that much? Thanks.

my question is, is it possible to increase the FSB by that much and reduce the multiplier that much?

To answer your question, maybe, and yes.

Any decent board will have the ability to set the multiplier down to 6, the minimum supported. Just go into the bios and you will have a selection of 6 -11 and put in what you want, Bam!!

The FSB question is harder, maybe, most enthusiast boards should do 400MHz easy. However it often happens that the MCH/Northbridge needs the thermal paste and mounting reworked and a fan placed on it because increasing the FSB overclocks the MCH just like it does the CPU. You will also find the manufactures. despite all their BS advertising and hype, do not support OCing and will not warranty the FSB to reach any certain value other what what is formally supported by Intel and/or the chipset.

Running 1:1 is desirable when it is not a problem, if it is not easily done don't worry about it and slap in a memory multiplier. You will loose a teeny tiny bit of memory sub-system performance but in terms of stress on the components, stability etc, it more than makes up for running a board at the ragged edge of its FSB capability. It may also be a factor that the CPU will have an FSB wall, regardless of what your board can do the CPU might not tolerate high FSB. The high multiplier of the 4500 makes it ideal to overcome a situation like that and the potential for increased cpu speed/performance far outweighs the penality for running a memory multiplier.

IF 8 x 400 seems to be a problem, consider running the multiplier at 10 with an fsb of 320 giving you 3.2GHz CPU speed and use a memory multiplier of 2.5 (a common value you should find on most motherboards for running a 333 fsb and 800 memory) to give you 800MHz memory speed. Then start working up in FSB until something craps out.

Yea, I'm sorry I forgot to mention the parts I was gonna be using:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2.0
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400): 2 Sets for 4GB
Allendale E4500

So would these parts be good for what I was gonna try before?

Back