E6300 OCing, 2.9GHz+ = no go

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
Im trying to OC a E6300 CPU on an Asus 680i board and (I think I'm doing it right). I cannot get past 2.8GHz, no matter what. I set the QDT to 1600 (1600/4 = 400 400*7 = 2.8GHz) When I set it to 1657 (2.9GHz), the BIOS doesnt post, neither does it when I put it at 3.0GHz. Voltage is at 1.2 and windows booted up fine with that and 2.8GHz. I had the VCore at 1.4 before with that speed (2.9) and it still didnt post. I don't know what else to do for it to post....Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Which one? Some are crap and use crap chips.

Also, try raising the memory volt by +.1 and see what happens. lose the memory timings if still no go.

Which one? Some are crap and use crap chips.

Also, try raising the memory volt by +.1 and see what happens. lose the memory timings if still no go.

Comments like your's are extremely offensive, and reflect poorly upon not only you but the entire community, especially when we're gifted with having corsair's presence here on the boards. Don't just go around echoing what you hear from others.

While they may not be using the coveted gmh/gkx chips on all their modules (if they did, why would anyone buy their expensive modules when they could get the cheapest ones and get the same results?!), the modules they do use do still have a little bit of headroom. And that said, do they not perform at what they're rated to do?? Of course they do. You got what you paid for. Sure, for the price of the cheaper ones, there are better ones out there if you do your research, but that by no means makes the lower end corsair modules "crap" and using "crap chips". You're pretty much saying, some of the sticks rated for 800 5-5-5 can't do 1000 4-3-3. Oh no!!!

Right now, I have them at stock when im OCing my CPU.. they are at 800 while my CPU is at 2.8-3.0GHz. So i dont think its the ram, no?

I can't say I'm too familiar with the 680i platform. Do you have the asus striker? It's been reported that there may be some issues with initial versions, if not just initial bioses (or possibly even current ones).

So as I gather it, you're running your ram 1:1 with your fsb? Are you supplying the voltage to the ram that is required? I can't remember what your corsair modules require, possibly 2.1v?

You can probably rule out ram for a bit longer and know for sure by weakening timings, at least while attempting to reach higher speeds. Perhaps, try 5-6-6-18 or something along those lines.

Do you have options to give the northbridge (nb / mch) more voltage? It may be required, although I would do more research on your particular motherboard to find out what the general consensus is.

If you have an option for vfsb (vtt) maybe try bumping that up a notch or two as well. 1.4v vcore should be fair to get 3ghz, even accounting for drop and droop.

LOL, what package of misinformed stuff I see here....

I run myn E4300 Allendale at 3207 MHz with a crappy set of PC2-3200 RAM (Yes, you read it right, PC2-3200, not more) and it run fine. The thing is to use a divider so when the FSB is at 356 MHz, RAM is at 266 MHz which work well with a slight voltage bump.

The 680i chipset can run the memory and cpu speeds asynchronously from what I read around so set your crappy RAM at stock speed/timings then push the CPU.

LOL, what package of misinformed stuff I see here....

I run myn E4300 Allendale at 3207 MHz with a crappy set of PC2-3200 RAM (Yes, you read it right, PC2-3200, not more) and it run fine. The thing is to use a divider so when the FSB is at 356 MHz, RAM is at 266 MHz which work well with a slight voltage bump.

The 680i chipset can run the memory and cpu speeds asynchronously from what I read around so set your crappy RAM at stock speed/timings then push the CPU.

Your info is pointless cause you don't have to run 1/1 on 975 chipset. I don't know about 680i though.

To the original poster you probably doing something wrong. Loosen ram timings and set it 1/1 ram divider. Raise some voltage and turn off unnecessary stuff under CPU. If you hit 2.8 ghz at default you should definitely be hitting higher.

It's not pointless, the 680i is supposed to be more flexible than 975X when it come to memory versus fsb relation. With the 680i, you can decide at what speed you want to run the ram and it will work fine.

Alot of the 680i boards have trouble past 400fsb (1600) which it sounds like yours does. First thing to try is up the voltage to the north and southbridges.

Comments like your's are extremely offensive, and reflect poorly upon not only you but the entire community, especially when we're gifted with having corsair's presence here on the boards. Don't just go around echoing what you hear from others.

While they may not be using the coveted gmh/gkx chips on all their modules (if they did, why would anyone buy their expensive modules when they could get the cheapest ones and get the same results?!), the modules they do use do still have a little bit of headroom. And that said, do they not perform at what they're rated to do?? Of course they do. You got what you paid for. Sure, for the price of the cheaper ones, there are better ones out there if you do your research, but that by no means makes the lower end corsair modules "crap" and using "crap chips". You're pretty much saying, some of the sticks rated for 800 5-5-5 can't do 1000 4-3-3. Oh no!!!
Offensive to who? Corsair? Like they care. If saying that some Corsair chips are crap and shit for overclocking offense you, I am sorry.

Offensive to who? Corsair? Like they care. If saying that some Corsair chips are crap and shit for overclocking offense you, I am sorry.

If he worked for Cosair or knows someone the board who does, it would be offensive. Don't you think?

If he worked for Cosair or knows someone the board who does, it would be offensive. Don't you think?
So if no Corsair rep comes here, I can say it? :eek:

I don't care for whoever is here. I say what I want and if you don't like it, that's fine. You can say whatever you want. Just because a Corsair is here doesn't mean that I can't speak the way I feel.

man, I bought this 500 watt power supply, but when I try to draw 600 watts from it, it doesn't work. it's the worst power supply I've ever owned. It sucks

Ok, lets get off the topic of Corsair 'sucking' and back on the topic of why wont this CPU OC past 2.8GHz. Yes, the RAM is at stock of 4-4-4-12, 800MHz (I am running a divider), and the CPU is at 1600x7. Anything past that FSB and the board does not post. I am using stock volts on the CPU (but have gone up to 1.4 with no change). RAM is at 2.1v.

Ok, lets get off the topic of Corsair 'sucking' and back on the topic of why wont this CPU OC past 2.8GHz. Yes, the RAM is at stock of 4-4-4-12, 800MHz (I am running a divider), and the CPU is at 1600x7. Anything past that FSB and the board does not post. I am using stock volts on the CPU (but have gone up to 1.4 with no change). RAM is at 2.1v.

maybe it's the striker

too bad. 975 sucks for e6300. i can confirm since i use p5wdh for 1 day and i figure i can't go over 2.9 i swapped it to p5b deluxe. first boot i was able to boot into windows at 3.5 which p5wdh couldn't even do at 3.1

Try these settings to get 3220 mhz:
CPU -F = 460
DRAM = 920
PCI-E = 120
PCI-C = 33.3
MEM = 2.1
CPU-V =1.525
FSB-T = 1.4
SB = 1.6
ICH = 1.215
North Bridge - you should play around with your timings, I would try 5-5-5-14 if not 6-6-6-14
Don't be afraid of volts, our chip has fail-safe protection. It will shut off by itself, just reset bios if you are in trouble.

keep trying different (higher) FSB's, 680i is known to have some FSB holes in it. you might be able to jump up to something higher.

On the box they say 1.35V max. If you use more V, you will get more heat, that's why you need an after-market heat sink with fan at the very least. I have a Tuniq Tower 120 and I crank it up to 1.65V to get it running 3731mhz stable 10 hrs+ on Orthos. Our chip will auto shut off at 85C so it's not going to burn even if you try. They made the C2D's for overclocker's - just like how Asus made your mobo specifically for overclocker’s. These are toys for big boys…don’t be afraid to play hard.

Isnt that Vcore a ltitle high for a 1.2v CPU?

1.2v is just the binning of the chip. all of them were designed to be able to run at 1.325v (although they give a rating of 1.35v in worst case scenario maybe for some serious rejects). A lower binning usually means that there might be some decent headroom for overclock. 1.35v max doesn't mean it's the max you should run your chip at (although for stock hsf, it's not too bad an idea). IIRC, intel spec sheets say to run no more than 1.55v.

On the box they say 1.35V max. If you use more V, you will get more heat, that's why you need an after-market heat sink with fan at the very least. I have a Tuniq Tower 120 and I crank it up to 1.65V to get it running 3731mhz stable 10 hrs+ on Orthos. Our chip will auto shut off at 85C so it's not going to burn even if you try. They made the C2D's for overclocker's - just like how Asus made your mobo specifically for overclocker’s. These are toys for big boys…don’t be afraid to play hard.

Its your chip and you do what you want. But I do have issues with unsafe advice being thrown around without cautions to people who might not know better.

Intels Vmax for this chip is 1.5 V

Temps are not the whole story, you are putting significant stress on the transistor junctions with that much voltage. Might last 10 years might last 10 weeks. might go poof tomorrow. Electromigration is not your friend.

Its your chip and you do what you want. But I do have issues with unsafe advice being thrown around without cautions to people who might not know better.

Temps are not the whole story, you are putting significant stress on the transistor junctions with that much voltage. Might last 10 years might last 10 weeks. might go poof tomorrow. Electromigration is not your friend.

My advice to you all: Do not overclock! It may ruin your equipment. Follow all manufacturers recommendations. Ignore my previous posts and nobody will get hurt...:p
P.S. Maybe change the name of this site to [Soft] Forum:D LOL

Lol..... I also have issues with people giving dumb advises.....

Can you find me a situation where an E6300 or better yet any cpu that poofed because of setting teh voltage at 1.52v...... the chances of a cpu burning up at 1.52v vs 1.38v ( your setting ) is probably .0000058697% more lol..... You should give that advise HERE .. dont forget to say "hi" to my grandma there lol.....

My opinion is if heat is not an issue, 1.65v is plenty safe.... my cpu has seen 1.8v ( 1.68v actual ) and with my years of overclocking experience this doesnt worry me one bit...... 24/7 though it stays at 1.6v @ 3900mhz.....

Too much voltage do hurt your cpu though.... look what it did to my 2600+ L2 cache lol.....

3gs.JPG

Then again you're comparing two different cpus with 2 different manufacturing processes.

ok the crap was getting so bad by the end of the first page i stopped reading peoples posts. I skimmed over and say you actually own the P5B32-E?

Now, if you guys don't mind, I own both sh!tty ram AND a 680i board.

whats amazing to me is no one asked him what hes using for cooling. I run (as you see below) a Thermalright Ultra 120, an awsome (expensive) cooler. many many aftermarket cooling solutions will allow you to do what i list below, stock cooling will not. So far this thread has been an embarrassment to the [H] community.

You will need: CPUz, Ntune5, Orthos Stress test (Prime 95 and super prime run ONE instance meaning only one core is actually stressed, as such they will NOT work) Latest NV Forceware, latest BIOS, and possibly a screw driver and a coffee.

so heres what I suggest you do, lets kill the possibility that you have faulty components. Boot the sucker up at stock speeds, run an orthos stress test, if you have a faulty mem controller, or memory, it will show up quickly. let it run for 10 mins.

After passing that shut-er down. Go into bios, disable anything labled "XXXX spectrum spread" (EX SPP spectrum spread). Over the course of a few posts (dont go all the way to windows), raise your CPU Voltage (AKA Vcore) to ~1.475V, mem voltage to 2.1V, FSB voltage to 1.4V, and SPP (north bridge) voltage to 1.4V. I HAVE ALSO HEARD: the striker extreme has some problems with the MCP <=> SPP lanes. Raising that voltage helped a member of xtreme systems a huge ammount. all of the above voltages are relatively adventurous but none are amazingly high. I run my sig at 1.5V Vcore. at this point i also found it usefull to set the Nforce chipset cooler to 70%. it lowers the noise that thing produces by a whole lot while still maintaining ok cooling.

Set the ram speed to your rated ram speed (DDR 800MHz?). In my bios its displayed as the DDR speed. NOTE: DDR800 actually runs at 400MHz!! so if your BIOS displays the actual speed of your ram, it will say your DDR speed divided by two.

Raise your FSB till the system wont post.

When the system no longer posts, change the MEM speed in bios so it changes the ratios: EX if i have DDR2 800 and its telling me the speed it produces is DDR2 789, i would change the speed to DDR2 788 and it would come up with a new ratio. C40 (680i SPP) does not have a-syncronous memory speed settings per se. what it does have is a very large ammount of ratios, some very obscure to achieve many many possible ram speeds. Try also running the ram at a higher speed then it is rated for, ex set mem speed in bios to 820 or something like that so bios generates a speed of maybe 811MHz. Again this is just an example. what Im asking you to do is force your SPP to try a different MEM:FSB ratio. If you dont understand do to my 1am english, PM me. Also, change your ram to loosened timings (5-5-5-15 is about as loose as I'd go. CAS 6 (6-5-5-15) is kinda... bad, but sometimes necessary).

If you've tinkered with the ratios and it still wont post at your desired speed, take several large leaps (40Mhz) on FSB up to 2150MHz, while setting your mem to as close to default speeds as possible.

If it doesnt post at any of those speeds, it looks like your done overclocking. With your system you should be able to break 3.0GHz easy.

Back