e6300 vs e6400 for OCing?

Mellman

Limp Gawd
I've looked around - and have had no definitive answer on this.

Some say the 6400 will OC higher because of the higher multi? Does anyone have any 'evidence' on the truth to this? i've seen most people ocing a 6300 from 3-3.3 Ghz, and 6400's about the same.

I'll be ocing, on a DS3 cause im going on the cheap til quad cores come out...

-Matt

The main limit with Conroes appears to be the board when it comes to lower-multiplier CPUs. With a higher multiplier you'll get a higher CPU speed when the board is maxed out.

Yeah, the only real difference between the 6300 and 6400 is the x7 multi on one and the x8 mult on the other, meaning the maximum MHz boost in getting the 6400 over the 6300 will be the speed of the FSB (8xFSB-7xFSB=FSB).

Given that alot of people max their boards out at +450Mhz, your projected maximum Mhz with a 6400 would be 450-500Mhz higher than with a 6300.

Edit: Yes, I would spend the $40 for the extra multi if I were you...I am actually getting a 6300, but that's only because I'm getting it really cheap from a guy who's already upgrading again.

yeah...done :-D i see so many 6300's so i figured there had to be a reason, cause $40 for a potential 500mhz increase is pretty darn cheap IMHO...

-Matt

i'm thinking about trading procs with a friend of mine i have a 6300 and he has a 6400, but i'm not sure whether or not i'd rather just wait til price comes down some more and get a 4m 6600 with a 9x multiplier.

the only reason im not waiting for prices to drop on the 6600 is because im planning on just getting a quad core in a few months. The 6400 will hold me over just fine til then.

all things considered, its not too bad, they already showed some pricing on them, they said between $500-800 IIRC.

Can't wait for the E4300 chips to come out, those will be insane overclockers. Budget chips with a 9x multiplier... :eek:

Back