E6400 @ 3.3GHZ after much headace and an interesting find. P965 has oc problems.....

96redformula

2[H]4U
First off my Specs:

Core 2 Duo 6400 3.3Ghz @ 1.25volts
Biostar T-Force P965PT
GSkill 2x1GB DDR 800
Enhance 500W PSU
Stock HSF (Big Typhoon on the way)

So am on my third major overclock now and have a very good understanding of how it works. So I start off the overclock on this new build going up in jump of 10 on the FSB. It turns out that I hit a huge wall at 310 FSB at first. I switched to to another custom bios that people were hitting up to 520MHZ with (Rebel's Haven) and was able to make it to 330 FSB before I hit another huge wall. So after some reading on XS I found that some others were having this same problem not passing 330-370FSB.

So I found that there is a GAP in the FSB that doesn't work. I pushed it straight to 400FSB, and to my surprise, it started right up at all stock voltages. I was not able to keep it Orthos Prime stable no matter what things I tried with timings or voltages. I then tried once again a bump to 405 FSB and it is now 100% Orthos Prime stable at stock voltages for the last 6 hours.

I tested and it wont boot anywhere from 330 - 399 FSB. Anybody else find it strange that a larger FSB made it actually more stable? I guess it is a software problem and needs to be adressed.

3.3GHZ @ 1.325Volts (stock HSF with window open for now)
DDR 810 @ 1.9volts

Anyways, hope to help anybody else out there having problems or thinking about P965 chipset.

So....You all like my Overclock on all stock voltages?

Could be, I had a couple other people at XS tell me that they had the same problems and it had to do with the chipset.

I dont have any of those problems with my Gigabyte S3, in fact I just went through a bunch of the aforementioned FSB speeds to verify. It works at every speed up until about 450 or so.

Just like to comment that money is pretty tight right now AND I QUIT MY JOB TODAY. I guess it might the culprit might be more of Biostar than P965PT. Anyways, glad to heat the DS3's aren't having problems, but when you are on a budget you are on a budget.

lol... just thought you'd all like to know... that i used to own a bisotar tforce965pt and it's been the best board s775 i've owned (out of asus p5b deluxe wifi, asrock conroe 945g-dvi, msi 975x platinum, ecs p4m800 pro) i hit my stable max at 499 x 7 and topped out my ram (D9GMH) at ddr2-1050. might have been my cpu might have been limitations on the chipset, i dont know, but that's what i got. i found a trick to oc'n with it... move up in increments of 5-10mhz. i tried jumping into higher fsb's and was only successful a couple times, but whenever i slowly went up it hit higher clocks. just my 2 cents.

this new p5ne-sli is not as good. there are more features, but it's only taken my ram to 950 so far. my cpu is an L629 and is not the greatest for oc'n so i can't really say much about the cpu oc'n since it's not the same chip. the p5b deluxe i had pooped out after i ran crossfire x1950xtx's for about two weeks on it. overclocking on it always resulted in frozen bios, and even now it's sittin in a white box waitin for me to rma it. perhaps just a bad board, but it's never really impressed me. the msi 975x was with a 6400, but i know it doesnt clock too well, and the asrock/ecs i dont even have to mention, just there for my slightly inebriated mATX phase. coming back to the biostar, it's simple, it's fast, and it rocks the competition. i was debating between the gigabyte ds3 and the biostar tforce. i chose the tforce because of price, and it never dissapointed me. maybe one day i'll get to test the ds3 and it'll topple the biostar, but for now, it's the best board i've ever owned (aside from my asrock 939dual-sata2 ;p).

edit...
ooh... e6400 and their funky 8x multiplier. hated it when i had one. cant max anything out really. ;p

You sure it's the chipset and not cheapo Biostar board you have?

don't be so quick to knock on biostar like that... OP, your board is very good. It can be a little tempermental, but in all honesty, it ranks way higher in my book than the piece of shit s3/ds3.

as for the fsb hole, it's because of straps. As you overclock the board, basically, you're overclocking the chipset too. And at certain set frequencies, it'll knock latencies ("a dividor" like for ram) to bring the chipset back down closer to being in check. The problem is that the board was designed to still run in the faster strap in where you're hitting the hole. Then once you hit 401, it breaks into the next strap and looser internal latencies, and lets you go again. http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?p=32#post32

I'm not certain why 400fsb worked but gave you poor results. I'm guessing it might have to do with the fact that it may have either changed straps or loosened internal timings (if they can be dealt with separately... I'm not sure on this, it's just a theory), since 400 is a magic number a lot of people try to hit.

What are you running for vmch? When you hit into a spot where it won't post, a lot of times, bumping up vmch will help you shrink the gap.

Also, I'd imagine that if you can get 400fsb stable, it'd be faster than 401 for the reasons of a more overclocked chipset.

Most people say that 1.55v is a good voltage to smooth out a lot of p965 abnormalities. However, I wouldn't run 1.55v for a long time without better aftermarket cooling, or a 50mm fan blowing down on the stock heatsink.

Good luck.

Back