e6400 temp problem

buffbiff21

Gawd
Ok , e6400 OCed to 3 GHz, vcore is 1.3, is running at 44 idle and that is too high for idle. the case is a lian li and there is a intake fan right in the back, HSF is a Thermaltake Blue orb. It is mounted very good, I tried mounting it multiple times and reapplying thermal gunk. Using artic silver 5 thermal gunk.

It loads at 58, which is wierd, but its still just under the 60 max.

Coudl someone please tell me what "other" factors are involved in CPU cooling that I could be missing???

PS dont go by the stuff in my sig, im helping a friend cool the CPU

buffbiff21 said:
Ok , e6400 OCed to 3 GHz, vcore is 1.3, is running at 44 idle and that is too high for idle. the case is a lian li and there is a intake fan right in the back, HSF is a Thermaltake Blue orb. It is mounted very good, I tried mounting it multiple times and reapplying thermal gunk. Using artic silver 5 thermal gunk.

It loads at 58, which is wierd, but its still just under the 60 max.

Coudl someone please tell me what other factors are involved in CPU cooling??? There has just got to be something im missing.

PS dont go by the stuff in my sig, im helping a friend cool the CPU

are you using coretemp? cause in coretemp im measuring 46C idle with e6400 oc to 3.2ghz. although my vcore is around 1.4X. im using scythe ninja btw.which isnt that bad imo.

Your temps are fine.

Don't worry unless they start going over 70C, & even then i wouldn't get overly paranoid, since teh throttling temp is ~ 85C.

couple things:

using iTAT for temp monitor, but was high in bios too
Mobo: ASUS P5B vanilla
case has good airflow

Dude it throttles after 96c so taking this in mind you are no where near that.

Don't worry about it , at the moment Mine is at 56c idle and 70c load , and that is not a problem. I have seen higher temps than this and my cpu is still running good.On the c2d leaderboard got the highest on air for E6600 on stable that this is. and I have tested the waters and the temps it can handle , dont worry.

Your temps are perfectly fine for core temps, well within the Intel stated threshold of 85C.

I would say however those temps seem about the same as the Intel stock cooler at those speeds which would be fine if you were running the stock cooler, but as you forked out of a after market cooler I would be disappointed.

I don't know much about the Thermaltake Blue orb so can't comment further.

OK thanks for the input guys!

but lemme first say one thing: its really confusing the $hit out of me. I sold him the exact same setup I ran about a month ago, sans the mobo ( i had a p5n32 sli) and I was getting 22*C (!) idle WITH THE BLUE ORB at 2.1 ghz, and 34 Idle while OCing (P5N board would only get up to like 2.5 ghz).

Now Im honestly thinking its the P5B mobo, because it was reading weird temps when i owned it myself. ( i have cycled through a few mobos in the past month) When i used that mobo, the cpu was 40 with the stock cooler. Now it is reading 60 with the stock cooler. (no oc)

Right now MY Conroe is 34 idle and 58 max, with my Zalman. What puzzles me, even with the difference in our HSF's --- is that I am runnin a higher overclock and a higher vcore and still gettting much lower temps. (and to make things more puzzling, his lian li has better ventilation...)

I think Im going to order another mobo and see what happens. I am positive that everything is mounted properly. its just so damn boggling, so well get a new mobo maybe.

System has a P5B-E, E6300 and a zalman reserator 1+.

E6300 Idle stock is reporting 44-6C load is 56C.

I've clocked the system to 2.91Ghz atm, prime stable for 24 hours, speedfan reports the CPU is at 68C, then drops to mid 40's idle again. Seems a bit high to me. 1.325V

The thing which worries me, do the regulators have a temp sensor? As speed fan is reporting an AUX temp of 127C!

Hokum15 said:
System has a P5B-E, E6300 and a zalman reserator 1+.

E6300 Idle stock is reporting 44-6C load is 56C.

I've clocked the system to 2.91Ghz atm, prime stable for 24 hours, speedfan reports the CPU is at 68C, then drops to mid 40's idle again. Seems a bit high to me. 1.325V

The thing which worries me, do the regulators have a temp sensor? As speed fan is reporting an AUX temp of 127C!

hokum15 would you possibly have any other mobo to test the CPU and HSF on? The fact that you have a P5b series board brings validity/solidity (is that a word?) to my postulate.
I have read before about P5B series having "problems" but now that makes two of us.

oh and the system is prime and orthos stable, 24 hr run

Well I dont have a spare 775 board but the cooler was fine on a very overclocked 3700+ A64 and 3800 X2, so i know the cooler is ok...

I do have access to an E6400 but i'm not used to the 775 boards and dislike the chances of bending a pin.

I see a problem with this because are you really taking into account someone who wants their cpu to function fine for more than a year if they are constnatly putting load to the cpu. Isn't this the whole reason why they made Xeons and Opterons because of this since they do go through more stress tests for optimum heat?

If you are getting 70c off the physical core then i would say that its OK for short time periods but, if you are constantly putting it at load day after day and not cooling it below 65c then the integrity of the chip will get bad. Once a semi-conductor goes bad then death can occure at any time.

Anyone into overclocking will tell you that not every cpu transitor is the same which is why not every cpu can hit the same speeds as another cpu of the same on identical hardware. There will always be variables. Same is said with the tolerance for each chip.

You need to look at the inconsistancies here like temperature, humidity, power, etc...etc..
Most server boards require registered memory with full ECC, many support mirrored memory, hot-add, etc.. Plus they have more advanced voltage regulation, higher quality caps, etc. The CPU's themselves are paired with full ECC L2 cache (and in the case of very high-end servers) L3 caches. However, a healthy, stock-clocked board and CPU will last for years... even a decade or more with a good PSU. And thats 24/7 at 100% utilization. Cheap psu with alot of voltage irregularities will lessen the life of all hardware involved.

60c, if temp and voltage are stable, would be okay. Its warm, but its not terminal. Anything hotter (e.g. 70c) and you are looking at greatly reduced lifespan.

I just simply can not overclock my cpu any higher than 3.25ghz because of this. It used to at the beggining OC to 3.7 but, as time went on it needed to be clocked lower inorder to function. Ive had this cpu oced since I got it 3 years ago and now it will only go as high as 3.25 max on air cooling with load temps of mid 30s which is really good. Same principle applies to a stock chip at its rated / tested speed when consistanly applying high heat temps.

P5B-E w/ E6400 @ 3336mhz

This is mine:
idle3336ek4.jpg

orthos3336ht7.jpg

lol wow that was a necro post a couple up there^

(haha I only noticed that because i started this topic about a month ago)

The problem was that the e6400 that i sold my friend was 60+ idle and i dont even want to know about iTAT load. (cant remember anyway... upwards of 80)

I think i have narrowed down the problem: the CPU itself. we replaced literally every single component in his system and it still was getting high. the blue orb hsf seemed scratched, but the CPU itself did not. so we replaced that too.

a different case,a new P5Wdh deluxe, a new zalman on there now and it is still running hot! ~60 idle and ~80 load. i believe the cpu is concave and is not making proper contact with the HSF. but that might not be the problem, i really have no F-ing idea.

my e6600 runs at 45 idle ~70 iTAT load @ 3.6 GHZ, with 1.48x vcore.

and his e6400 is at 3 ghz with 1.3 vcore. and his temps are colossally higher than mine. (same HSF, same thermal paste)

OblivionLord said:
If you are getting 70c off the physical core then i would say that its OK for short time periods but, if you are constantly putting it at load day after day and not cooling it below 65c then the integrity of the chip will get bad. Once a semi-conductor goes bad then death can occure at any time.

Your Opinion is very nice, however Intel set Tjunction at 85C which means thats when you "start" doing damage.

If your opinion was correct and say 75C caused damage if used for a year then Intel would have set Tjunction at 75C, its that simple.

I am fairly sure Intel don't like doing a lot of warranty.

Battleneter2 said:
Your Opinion is very nice, however Intel set Tjunction at 85C which means thats when you "start" doing damage.

If your opinion was correct and say 75C caused damage if used for a year then Intel would have set Tjunction at 75C, its that simple.

I am fairly sure Intel don't like doing a lot of warranty.

First off my reply was not an opinion. Secondly you are wrong with your assumption therefore I shall clearify things with sites from the horses mouth showing that 85c on the Conroe is not the point "when you start doing damage".

E6300 = http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9SA
C2D 2MB L2, 65W TDP: 61.4ºC
E6400 = http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S9
C2D 2MB L2, 65W TDP: 61.4ºC
E6600 = http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8
C2D 4MB L2, 65W TDP: 60.1ºC
E6700 = http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S7
C2D 4MB L2, 65W TDP: 60.1ºC

"Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached."

Heres another sites from the horses mouth thus proving my point..
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327802.pdf

5.1.1 Thermal Specifications
-----------------------------------------
To allow for the optimal operation and long-term reliability of Intel processor-based
systems, the system/processor thermal solution should be designed such that the
processor remains within the minimum and maximum case temperature (TC)
specifications when operating at or below the Thermal Design Power (TDP) value listed
per frequency in Table 27. Thermal solutions not designed to provide this level of
thermal capability may affect the long-term reliability of the processor and system.

5.1.2 Thermal Metrology
-----------------------------------
The maximum and minimum case temperatures (TC) for the processor is specified in
Table 27. This temperature specification is meant to help ensure proper operation of
the processor. Figure 21 illustrates where Intel recommends TC thermal measurements
should be made.

5.2.5 THERMTRIP# Signal
--------------------------------------
Regardless of whether or not Thermal Monitor or Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled, in the
event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when
the silicon has reached an elevated temperature (refer to the THERMTRIP# definition in
Table 26). At this point, the FSB signal THERMTRIP# will go active and stay active as
described in Table 26. THERMTRIP# activation is independent of processor activity and
does not generate any bus cycles.

Basicly...
"Upon assertion of THERMTRIP#, the
processor will shut off its internal clocks (thus, halting program
execution) in an attempt to reduce the processor junction
temperature"
"a temperature approximately 20 °C above the maximum Tc (Case Temperature)"

So what have we gotten from all of this?
Conroe should not be higher in temps then 60c although it runs up to 80-81c degree.
The fact is that Intel says that over 61c the risk of damaging the cpu is raising constantly.
Try to keep it under 60c

Back