e6400 temp question

reflex33

Limp Gawd
I know its been posted here a lot, but I got a few questions about my temps.

I have the stock heatsink on there right now, but I have an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro on order. TAT reports my cores at around 67-69c each under full load at stock speeds. This seems very high even for that crap cooler from Intel. When I was testing things out I had it to 3.2 GHz at 1.35v and the temp climbed to just shy of 80c.

So I'm kind of thinking that its just the crap cooler from Intel (maybe with the lacking thermal compound) causing the high temps. Since I had a big overclock and not to much of a rise in temps. So my first question is what do you guys think about this? Is this assumption a good one?

My second question has to do with the motherboard's CPU temp. It reports that my load temp is around 57-59c. Now I know there is a difference between the CPU temp and Core temp, but from what I have read on here and in other places, those two temps should be with 10c. Mines different by anywhere from 20c to 30c. Whats going on here?

Ya kno, my old 6400 was gettin 60's with the crap heatsink also. I was at 3 GHz, 1.35v. Im pretty sure TAT does something to the CPU... Because no matter where my voltages are at, it always goes up by 20-30 (resulting in the 60s).

Well..to actually answer your questions, I did have this problem, and it was on multiple mobos. My old P5b did that and a P5n32 did that.

I might suggest playing with the voltages, and see what the LOWEST load temp is. Then (if possible) try out different heatsinks and see if you get the same temps. For me, switching to a Blue Orb reduced the temp by about 20*c, and my Zalman got 18*C difference that the stock.

let me know your results! I am curious to know also.

TAT is an extreme test (even more than Prime and Orthos) as it is said to make all the transistors on the processor active meaning it is a true 100% load which Prime and Orthos and the like do not always achieve.

That does seem a bit high for your temps though...even with stock.

Does your case have good airflow?

Right now the case is open since I've been messing around with it.

I should have that heatsink by Monday, so I'll post to let you know... but I really do think its just the stock one causing this. If my chip was bad I would think it wouldn't post at 3.2 so easily.

Grentz said:
TAT is an extreme test (even more than Prime and Orthos) as it is said to make all the transistors on the processor active meaning it is a true 100% load which Prime and Orthos and the like do not always achieve.

QUOTE]

I wouldnt be too sure about that. Yea it makes it run at true 100% but dual Orthos literally rapes your system. Plus orthos will notify you of the rounding failures, while TAT does not. Not to mention orthos tests the ram too. I have actually seen people suggest Dual orthos + TAT for 24 hrs being the ultimate stability test...I would have to agree.

Oh and I agree that it is probably the HSF that is causing the high temps, but keep in mind that you ARE at 3.2 ghz! Just running at a higher voltage and clock speed is enough to cause that. Its a pretty good overclock, and Im pretty sure that your chip is good.

reflex33 said:
I know its been posted here a lot, but I got a few questions about my temps.

I have the stock heatsink on there right now, but I have an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro on order. TAT reports my cores at around 67-69c each under full load at stock speeds. This seems very high even for that crap cooler from Intel. When I was testing things out I had it to 3.2 GHz at 1.35v and the temp climbed to just shy of 80c.

So I'm kind of thinking that its just the crap cooler from Intel (maybe with the lacking thermal compound) causing the high temps. Since I had a big overclock and not to much of a rise in temps. So my first question is what do you guys think about this? Is this assumption a good one?

My second question has to do with the motherboard's CPU temp. It reports that my load temp is around 57-59c. Now I know there is a difference between the CPU temp and Core temp, but from what I have read on here and in other places, those two temps should be with 10c. Mines different by anywhere from 20c to 30c. Whats going on here?

You do not start doing damage to Conroe until core temp is ""85C"". 70C is fine, climbing to 80 is a concern. There has been a lot of confusion over maximum core temps with people believing it was 61.4 which has now been proven to be wrong.

If TAT reports 67-69C at stock speeds I am thinking that stock cooler is not seated correctly. My [email protected] stock cooler never goes over 65 ever with TAT, which is similar to my max core temps.

When I ran dual orthos on my e6600 @ 3.4 I was getting mid 60's. I ran it for 6+ hours.. would that have damaged my proc?

stain. said:
When I ran dual orthos on my e6600 @ 3.4 I was getting mid 60's. I ran it for 6+ hours.. would that have damaged my proc?

Nope. If left at mid 70s or beyond it could do some damage at long term runs. But at 60 on a short term 6 hr test it should be fine. Keep in mind that outside of all those stress tests, your cpu will not normally be pushed that far anwyay.

But be sure to get that better HSF on asap!

buffbiff21 said:
Nope. If left at mid 70s or beyond it could do some damage at long term runs. But at 60 on a short term 6 hr test it should be fine. Keep in mind that outside of all those stress tests, your cpu will not normally be pushed that far anwyay.

But be sure to get that better HSF on asap!

I disagree, why waste money on a after market cooler if your temps are 25C under the threshold, what is the difference between 25 or 35 under.... none.

The stock cooler does a much better job than given credit for, its only loop warm to touch at 65C and most motherboards don't max the RPM's until about 75C (which is fine when you consider damage starts at 85C).The stock cooler got its bad rep when most thought the core temp max was 61.4 (which of course is wrong).

I say if your temps are below 75C and you are happy with the noise (mine seems very quiet) 100% keep the stock cooler, and spend the money on something more worth while.

Battleneter2 said:
I disagree, why waste money on a after market cooler if your temps are 25C under the threshold, what is the difference between 25 or 35 under.... none.

The stock cooler does a much better job than given credit for, its only loop warm to touch at 65C and most motherboards don't max the RPM's until about 75C (which is fine when you consider damage starts at 85C).The stock cooler got its bad rep when most thought the core temp max was 61.4 (which of course is wrong).

I say if your temps are below 75C and you are happy with the noise (mine seems very quiet) 100% keep the stock cooler, and spend the money on something more worth while.

A. he already bought one
B. I would rather pay ~50 dollars for a good HSF rather than pay 300 down the line if my cpu craps out. The cooler the better.

buffbiff21 said:
A. he already bought one
B. I would rather pay ~50 dollars for a good HSF rather than pay 300 down the line if my cpu craps out. The cooler the better.

Ah well if he already brought one...

And it won't crap out if he is miles below Intel stated threshold, why would it!

Battleneter2 said:
Ah well if he already brought one...

And it won't crap out if he is miles below Intel stated threshold, why would it!

a. yes, I already got a zalman hsf

b. I have a 1 year warranty from fry's so if I fry it, I 'might' be able to get a new one for free.. btw, I'm selling my intel hsf from my c2d. :D

so basically, what you're saying, is that when I ran my dual orthos for 6+ hours, and it got into the 60's, it didn't damage my cpu...

So I got my cooler in...

Weird stuff, good, but weird. I got the temps down 10C to around 60C during testing at default speeds. So at first I was worried that it wasn't going to help much, but I tried to clock it up to 3.2 just to see what happens. Right now I'm stressing at 61C.

So right now I got it at 3.2GHz at 1.35v running rock solid at 61C. :D Looks like I probably got at bit more room in this chip.

Back