E6600 Questions

synaps3

Gawd
I currently have an AMD Opty 146 system, but it needs upgrading even though I just got it.

But I thought, why upgrade an AMD system at this point... I should go Conroe. So I called some friends and found out I can get the new E6600 for $168.50 + tax and shipping.

The only thing holding me back is the motherboard. I went SFF awhile ago, and I will never go back. :D But that leaves me limited to mATX boards, of course.

So my main question here is: Should I wait for a GOOD mATX Conroe board, or a better Conroe chipset? Or should I jump on the deal (The deal will not expire BTW...) and buy it now. If you think the latter is a better option, then which mobo should I get?

Thanks.

just get a regular pentium 4 motherboard that is mATX as they support Conroe :) problem solved.

tisb0b said:
just get a regular pentium 4 motherboard that is mATX as they support Conroe :) problem solved.

Not quite correct. You have to make sure the motherboard can meet the power requirements of Conrow as they are different than P4's/PD's. But almost all LGA775 Chipsets support Conroe. (except 915/925)

I would rather not deal with BIOS upgrades required for using an older board with the 6600, I want to get a motherboard designed for Conroe...

synaps3 said:
...I called some friends and found out I can get the new E6600 for $168.50....

Is that in U.S. $? Where are E6600's going for that price when they're $539 at Newegg? Perhaps you could introduce me to some of these friends. A lot of people would probably be interested in an E6600 at that price.

CB

Curious142 said:
Is that in U.S. $? Where are E6600's going for that price when they're $539 at Newegg? Perhaps you could introduce me to some of these friends. A lot of people would probably be interested in an E6600 at that price.

CB

Do you mean $339?

ToastMaster said:
Do you mean $339?

You're right. I like your price much better than mine. Newegg must have cut the price during the night. Must be a "weekend special". I'd sure like to get one -- maybe some day if the price goes down some more.

CB

Curious142 said:
You're right. I like your price much better than mine. Newegg must have cut the price during the night. Must be a "weekend special". I'd sure like to get one -- maybe some day if the price goes down some more.

CB

I didn't check NE's prices yesterday, but for at least two weeks that I've randomly checked the E6600 has been in the 330-360's.

synaps3 said:
I would rather not deal with BIOS upgrades required for using an older board with the 6600, I want to get a motherboard designed for Conroe...

You can get a board with an older chipset (i.e. cheaper) that will work with Conroe. There's a review for an Epox one on the front page.

get the chip now while you can (I know you said that the offer will never expire, but who knows). Hell, get 2, sell 1 and use that to pay for a new board. Say you end up paying $180 total for the 6600. Sell it for $300 (at least) and you make $120. You're only a few bucks away from a DS3 or spend a total of $150 and get a P5WDH

Hmm, that's a good idea. I might do that, Lich.

But noone has answered my question here... Which mobo should I get?

For everyone who is asking about the price, it is $168.50. I have some connections at Intel, a few friends work there. I can't buy more than 3, otherwise it might look a bit wierd, like I am just trying to make money or something. By the way, $168.50 is the at-cost price of the E6600, isn't it amazing how much the retail markup is?

EDIT: Lich, the P5WDH looks AMAZING, but I need mATX...

synaps3 said:
Hmm, that's a good idea. I might do that, Lich.

But noone has answered my question here... Which mobo should I get?

For everyone who is asking about the price, it is $168.50. I have some connections at Intel, a few friends work there. I can't buy more than 3, otherwise it might look a bit wierd, like I am just trying to make money or something. By the way, $168.50 is the at-cost price of the E6600, isn't it amazing how much the retail markup is?

Intel has a mATX P965 board, but it seems quite feature restricted.

synaps3 said:
Well, I guess it all comes down to how married you are to SFF. Who knows when we'll be seeing more mATX conroe boards. Check through the conroe board thread at xtreme systems and see what you can find. The only ones I can find are very feature restricted, as was mentioned. Business class type stuff.

My advice still stands, buy 2, sell 1 now and keep the profit as your mobo nest egg even if there isn't a board you want now.

Or, you can suck it up and buy an ATX case. I don't know if you need the space or just like the form factor idea or whatever your situation is. To each his own I guess.

Check the Asrocks, overclocking is limited but some is there. they mATX lots of info at anandtech.com on them in comparison with "the big" boys, they do astoundingly well against much more costly, and bigger/newer boards. The good news is they are cheap so later if da shiz comes along you havent got a ton invested.

Built my brother an asrock conroexfire system (but put a D805 in it, god I am a cheap no good bastid) just 2 week ago, smooth as silk.

Think you on right track with going Conroe, its freaking unbeleiveable performance and the first intel chip I have used in a personal system since the original T-Bird and i am happy happy happy.

My last build was an AsRocks board, I was not disappointed. I did not see a mATX Conroe board on Newegg, the older one says it is not compatible with Conroe on the AsRocks site (I did not bother to check, the first review just said).

I am stuck on mATX, I don't have any space. I am actually selling my Micro Fly to get a SG-01 so I have more room...

I am going to go ahead and buy the processors, but I have to wait for a damn motherboard. The only reason I want to upgrade so bad is the idea of overclocking it to at least 3.0GHz (should be possible with decent mobo and RAM).

Back