E6600 Temps

I just installed my new E6600 into my p5w dh board with the artic cooling Freezer 7 pro and AS5. I've only booted up the computer twice, but I'm getting temps that stay at about 50c. I don't know what's considered "load" but installing updates, programs, surfing etc, and the temp never seems to change. I can leave it to sit for an hour and it's still at about 50. I know the break-in for the AC5 still has some time, but is 50s a little hot for this thing? By the way, I don't even have the cover on my case, it's wide open.

Thanks

Bill

That is very hot for an E6600. I've overclocked and my temps are around 32-35 degrees Celsius. It could be that the HSF aren't in exactly right, or maybe you put too much paste on the HSF. Also, check to be sure your fan is at 100%. My BIOS for some odd reason decided it should only partially use the potential of my fan by limiting it to 1000 RPM's. That fan should run around 2700 RPM's. But with the rig you have, you should be running 20 degrees better.
Also, what software are you using to see your temperatures? If you are using Speedfan, strain your CPU to be sure you are looking at the correct temperature. Just strain the CPU and whatever temperature goes up around 10 degrees, that's the senor that determines your CPU temperature. (My internal temperature is hotter than my CPU temperature)
B

Re-seat your Heatsinkfan and apply the AS5 with a card. A thin layer shall do ya. Hoenstly it took me 5 seatings in order to get it right. ;)

It's weird that the temp doesn't change. What are you using to monitor it? Two good programs are Intel's TAT and Coretemp. I personally use TAT on my E6400 rig and it seems pretty accurate. If you're using a program that reads the core, 50C isn't too horrid, but it's not good either. My E6400 @ 3.2Ghz using a Thermalright SI-128 can get as hot as 55C under load, but normally idles around 48C. Again, that's using the temp from the core. Programs that don't read the core would show about 10C or so cooler.

sorry, I forgot to mention. I'm using coretemp. What's "Tjunction"? It's at 85!

I used a razor to apply the AC5 so I shouldn't have too much on there, but I'll play with it today when I get home from work and see if I can get a better seal.

UPDATE: the temps today seem to stay at mid 40s just surfing the internet. Right now they're 46 & 48. Also, I just noticed on boot up there was an error message "CPU fan error" I never noticed it before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It just kind of flashed by and I barely noticed it (I love how fast this thing boots) The fan is working, but I don't know at what speed. There is a case fan blowing on the HS as well, but it's blowing in the direction of the air flow, so it should only be helping, right?:

case fan / HSF
. ... X---> X--->

EDIT: Nevermind about the mid 40s, it's back up to the 50s now. =(

Bill

Is the CPU fan plugged into the mobo? If not, that could be why you're seeing that error. Otherwise it could be that the fan isn't moving fast enough and that's triggering the error. Check your settings in BIOS to see if there is a threshold set that it's not reaching.

Also, you know that there's a new recommended way for installing AS, right? I believe the below link is the right guide:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

The "CPU Fan Error" message happens all the time if you have a different cooler than the Intel stock cooler, it's probably because the fan plugged into the CPU fan connector is running at too low a speed. Go into the BIOS Setup, go into Hardware monitor and you will see a red value, like 749RPM, change it from the RPM value to "Ignore" to stop the message from appearing at startup.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro comes with excellent thermal compound pre-applied (as good if not better than AS5 if I recall correctly). Using AS5 was not necessary, but since you already did it, you did remove the pre-applied thermal compound before applying the AS5, right?

Is the CPU fan plugged into the mobo? If not, that could be why you're seeing that error. Otherwise it could be that the fan isn't moving fast enough and that's triggering the error. Check your settings in BIOS to see if there is a threshold set that it's not reaching.

Also, you know that there's a new recommended way for installing AS, right? I believe the below link is the right guide:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

Yeah, it's pluged in to the mobo, and it's spinning, but I can't figure out how to tell how fast. I haven't played with the bios much yet. I haven't really played with much of anything yet! I work 60 hours a week and my fiance takes up most of the rest of my time. I have this shiney new computer and I don't have the time to play with it!!!! I guess I'll have to check it out this weekend. I have a p5w dh if anyone knows where in the bios I can find the settings.

Yeah, I printed out those instructions when I was putting the stuff on, although I still used the razor blade method as I've seen so many people tell me to do it that way. If I can't get the temps down I'll try it that way.

[H]ocusPocus;1030574827 said:
The AC Freezer 7 Pro comes with excellent thermal compound pre-applied (as good if not better than AS5 if I recall correctly). Using AS5 was not necessary, but since you already did it, you did remove the pre-applied thermal compound before applying the AS5, right?

NOW you tell me lol. Yeah, I removed it before I applied the AC5.

Run the fan at 12v constant using a molex adapter.

Then, take the side of the case off to see if that helps your temperatures any.

If it does, we've isolated the problem.

The side of the case is off.

Update: I checked in the bios and it reads the CPU at 39.5 and the fan running at <1000RPM. Which do you think is more accurate. Obviously one of them is inaccurate. I'll install TAT this weekend and see what it reads.

I think I did it!!! I figured out why the temps are so hight (I think). I installed a case fan in the rear of the computer to blow some fresh air into the case. When I installed the HS it said to have it blow to the back of the case to exhaust. That put it facing the case fan blowing air into the case, and that would not have worked, so I turned the HS around to go with the flow of air. What I didn't think about was the fact that the case fan in the back was right under the exhaust of the PSU! It's sucking hot air from the PSU and blowing it sraight onto the HS! I'll remedy this tomorrow and let you guys know what the results are.

Bill

was just gonna ask the same question. Just installed a e6600 with a tt typhoon and as5. Running orthos for around 2 hours and temps in coretemp read 55c. This seem high? I know it should drop when the as5 gets settled, but still seems kinda high for a decent hs.

its running at 1.5 vcore no idea what it actually is...anyone know of a program that will give close to actual reading?

would these temps running orthos be close to the temps I would get while gaming?

thanks
Troy

TAT is showing 52

I'm at 48*C (TAT, Coretemp) with stock heatsink. I had a HUGE nightmare building this rig and am scared shitless to take it apart and put on my 90$ (at the time) Zalman 9700NT.

was just gonna ask the same question. Just installed a e6600 with a tt typhoon and as5. Running orthos for around 2 hours and temps in coretemp read 55c. This seem high? I know it should drop when the as5 gets settled, but still seems kinda high for a decent hs.

its running at 1.5 vcore no idea what it actually is...anyone know of a program that will give close to actual reading?

would these temps running orthos be close to the temps I would get while gaming?

thanks
Troy

TAT is showing 52

You can go into BIOS to see exactly what your VCORE is. On my P5B Deluxe it's on the system health screen (the display of what it's running, not where to change it). 1.5v is actually kinda high. Did you have to use that much to get a certain OC? Mine is running @ 1.375v with my E6400 OC'd to 3.2Ghz. TAT shows my system idling at 48C - 51C. When gaming I'm normally hitting 55C and if running dual prime I've seen it hit as high as 61C. After doing a lot of research in these forums and others, plus reading the thermal info Intel puts out, this is just fine. I thought I'd get lower temps with C2D, especially with the thermalright SI-128, but as long as I'm safe running at these temps I honestly could care less... ;)

I'm at 48*C (TAT, Coretemp) with stock heatsink. I had a HUGE nightmare building this rig and am scared shitless to take it apart and put on my 90$ (at the time) Zalman 9700NT.

Is that 48C idle or load? Personally, since you're worried, I'd wait a bit to get your confidence back up. I don't know how the install of the Zalman is, but my SI-128 was a motherfarker! :(

idle.

Right now with school I just can't afford to have downtime on PC. I want the Zalman on so badly though :(

UPDATE: I switched everything around so that everything was going the right way and reapplied AC5 per new instructions. Result: temps went from 50 to 48, not very impressive but the AC5 has yet to break in. I went into bios and changed CPU fan from "quiet" mode to "performance" mode. Results: temps went from 48 to 36 (39 after 2 hours of WoW). Just seems that the fan wasn't spinning fast enough. I think that brings it into the reasonable temp range, especially since the AC5 still has to break in. Thanks for all of your help folks.

Bill

Well, you found out the hard way; the fan makes a huge difference. That's why I always tend to ask about fan speeds on these kinds of posts. The 9700 is particularly sensitive to fan speeds; you will get a few more degrees after the breakin. My temps/rpms in my signature are using the Intel Quiet/pwm fan controller setting.

I switched my sidefan to exhaust from intake and took the dust grille off and now my temps are 40*C idle according to TAT, 37*C according to Coretemp. Stock heatsink too. Temps on my GPU really went down.

Back