E6600 w/ OC better than E6700 w/ OC?

The reviews I've seen thus far show that the E6600 actually overclocks significantly higher than the E6700 (by ~500MHz). Is this right? E6600 has a 9x multiplier, while the E6700 has a 10x multiplier. Does this cause the E6600 to oc "easier" and ultimately reach higher performance?

Is there any performance benefit to going with the E6700 if I plan to OC as much as possible? The $300 price difference is not an issue, just looking for the best final performance.

--N

Example: A $300 CPU can overclocked to the same or better speed of $1000 CPU, will you spend your money on $300 CPU or $1000 CPU? I will buy the cheapest Conroe and overlock as high as possible to save my money on other parts

Hard911 said:
Example: A $300 CPU can overclocked to the same or better speed of $1000 CPU, will you spend your money on $300 CPU or $1000 CPU? I will buy the cheapest Conroe and overlock as high as possible to save my money on other parts
yes yes, but I said I'm not very concerned with the price difference (I'm not personally paying yay :D). I dont care if you can oc up to stock of a more expensive chip.

nanoschizzle said:
yes yes, but I said I'm not very concerned with the price difference (I'm not personally paying yay :D). I dont care if you can oc up to stock of a more expensive chip.

Then why even ask? Buy the X6800 and be done with it.

ugh.. *bangs head* All the o/c you are seeing are ES chips, no one knows what a RETAIL e6600/e6700 will do. There for either one could cock higher, no one knows!

The e6600 is the best bang for the buck period. The only reason to go with a e6700 is for the 10x multiplier.

Yes I want concrete evidence the E6700 can OC better than the E6600. I've seen on some websites the E6700 can overlock just as well as the E6600 but why people are not experiencing that here? Ugh!!!

For me the point of OC'ing is getting more for your money.

If I buy a 6600 and I get to 3.6Ghz or a 6700 and get to 3.8Ghz, is the .2Ghz worth $200????

I think not, unless it is for your e-penor. :D

I agree with you , i too am only going for the E6600 and i think its enough until the Conroe hits the market. :D

Well, more benching/overclocking on my E6600 will be done tonight by Jakup @ Nvnews. But so far, 3.2 on stock voltages, 3.5/3.6 with a minor vcore increase and also increasing the northbridge by 1. I think he is going to raise the vcore a bit more as well as the northbridge and see what he can get out of it....

The thing about the two is the multipliers are unlocked on the 6700 but i have to agree paying for that is not worth it , it makes the overclcoking easier but thats something for people who dont know overclocking and even then it becomes quite useless if they are not going to overclock anyway.

Also the steppings we saw and after they are on the shelves i reckon the 6700 willoverclock slightly better than the e6600 , about 150-200mhz

Ok so this may be a stupid question but... what is the benefit of a higher multiplier? Does it just oc the pipelines more but with less stress on the FSB? Or is there something else?

nanoschizzle said:
Ok so this may be a stupid question but... what is the benefit of a higher multiplier? Does it just oc the pipelines more but with less stress on the FSB? Or is there something else?
Less overclocking to do. Your cpu can make up for the rams speed. If you have a decent pair of DDR800 then the multpliers wont really be needed.

But for the people who dont have good rams then that means 200mhz plus to overclock for you to get to the same speed. Its less stress for the ram basically.So its like this , is it worth paying an extra $200 for that or should you put it some decent ram which you can also use , or even buy 2Gb modules with it.

Some have the choice to do both,some have choice to do one and some have choice to do none.

This again is a job for Eclipse , he is the man you need for this.

nanoschizzle said:
More options basically (like more headroom to play with), its usually (but not 100% necessarily) better to have a higher multiplier available if you are an overclocker.

For example lets say personA and personB have a motherboard which does 400FSB max stable.
PersonA has a 6600, and personB has a 6700.

PersonA will be able to reach 400 x 09 = 3.6GHz.
PersonB will be able to reach 400 x 10 = 4.0Ghz.

Theoretically speaking of course. There are other factors, but thats the general gist of it.
(Also, you need to pay attention to the ram you get. If you are going for high clocks, you will want ddr2-800 or even ddr2-1067)

If i had the money then yes i would buy it , but i will have to settle for the E6600.

Everyone has a certain price they would pay for a item , if you justify that the extra boost of 2-300mhz is worth the $200 more then go for it , it does make it easier but the conroe is quite powerful anyway .

Back