E8400 @ 4.5ghz I love this thing!!!

MrFace

2[H]4U
500x9 1.32v after vdroop :D

Thing is stable all day long for me. I finally got a good chip after six years of doing this!

I'm curious at the volts and Orthos stability at 4.5GHz...I know the E0 E8400's are good, but that is REALLY good.

Wow, fantastic clocks. Just make sure its stable, even if it means going to 1.33V or 1.34V, its still a fantastic chip :D. I'm also curious to see gaming potential.

I'm thinking an 8400 at 4.5Ghz w/ a 4650 (i assume it's a 4650, since 4750 does not exist) will game no better than an 8400 clocked at 4Ghz w/ a 4650. That card is going to hold that CPU back in games.

Load temps were 63 with coretemp using OCCT. I can't believe it is stable myself. My buddy told me to shoot for 4.7ghz so on a whim I tried and 4.5ghz was the best I could go stable at my voltage.

Voltage is 1.36 in bios but reads as 1.32 due to the vdroop. I let it do dual OCCT for about an hour and that's good enough for me!!! If it doesn't crash after hours of Fallout 3, L4D, WoW, or any other game, then I consider that stable and so far so good!

I'm thinking an 8400 at 4.5Ghz w/ a 4650 (i assume it's a 4650, since 4750 does not exist) will game no better than an 8400 clocked at 4Ghz w/ a 4650. That card is going to hold that CPU back in games.

Woops! I have a 4870! Gonna fix my sig, what a typo!

was this on air or water?

In the future i hope to be purchaseing a phenom 940 and getting it too 4.2 on air

was this on air or water?

In the future i hope to be purchaseing a phenom 940 and getting it too 4.2 on air

Air cooling. Tuniq Tower 120 in an Antec 900 with all fans set on medium. Like I said, I'm not going to spend countless hours worrying if it is 3200000 hour prime stable. If it handles gaming and day to day duties with no crashes, then it is pretty stable huh ? ;)

U run any diagnostics like memtest

and cpu stress tests (forgot the name of the software i used)

But god damn that's pretty nice
Did you run any benchmarks on crysis?

U run any diagnostics like memtest

and cpu stress tests (forgot the name of the software i used)

But god damn that's pretty nice
Did you run any benchmarks on crysis?

Just OCCT. I honestly don't see the point of doing stress tests for hours on end. When am I realistically going to subject my computer to those loads?

Only "benchmark" I've done is Super Pi and it was 10.4 seconds for 1M.

I want to work on my memory timings now but I don't know any programs that will change timings on the fly.

I honestly don't see the point of doing stress tests for hours on end.

Hah, we'll see what you think when you're in the middle of a 20 page page paper and your computer locks up in MSWord because your OC isn't completely stable.

Just OCCT. I honestly don't see the point of doing stress tests for hours on end. When am I realistically going to subject my computer to those loads?

Only "benchmark" I've done is Super Pi and it was 10.4 seconds for 1M.

I want to work on my memory timings now but I don't know any programs that will change timings on the fly.

Because you can't claim stable unless it passes said stress tests :)

My old E8400 can do the same thing, but it sure as heck isn't prime stable and I was not willing to pump anymore voltage into it. This is zero vdroop with LLC enabled.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/azn_plyr/10hours43ghzstable.jpg is the best I can get fully stable, but 4.5ghz in windows and 3d gaming were fine but it failed prime in a couple minutes.

BTW, Warcraft 3 DOTA seems to crash a lot on unstable CPU's even though the game is pretty old.

My old E8400 can do the same thing, but it sure as heck isn't prime stable and I was not willing to pump anymore voltage into it. This is zero vdroop with LLC enabled.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/azn_plyr/10hours43ghzstable.jpg is the best I can get fully stable, but 4.5ghz in windows and 3d gaming were fine but it failed prime in a couple minutes.

BTW, Warcraft 3 DOTA seems to crash a lot on unstable CPU's even though the game is pretty old.

exactly. You'll get random crashes and whatnot.

I disagree. OCCT is all you need. That is what I used to test my E8500 @ 4.0Ghz, and it also passed almost 14 hours of Prime95. I shut it down and called it good. It has been stable ever since :cool:

Nice clocks by the way, I'm jealous.

I disagree. OCCT is all you need. That is what I used to test my E8500 @ 4.0Ghz, and it also passed almost 14 hours of Prime95. I shut it down and called it good. It has been stable ever since :cool:

Can your machine handle IBT?

i was recently working with my computer and IBT...

i could sometimes run 200 passes of IBT maxed out and find nothing wrong, but prime would bomb within 1m every single time...

i went from 3.4 to 3.0 to 2.4 and 1066 to 800 to lower...with the RAM

finally loaded up memtest and took the time to rescan my memory (because a previous scan said it was all ok) and found a bad stick...

now prime is OK

what did burntest tell me...other that my cooling is more than adequate?

NOTHING - at least in this case...i still like it as a utility however

Exactly; what would be the point of suping up your car and not taking it to the drag strip?? In the car scene, you'll get exactly that type of attitude--after spending time and money on mods (which its tens of thousands of dollars these days) and you ask the owner if he dyno'd the thing or took it to the drag strip he just says "nah I'm afraid I'll break something."

My opinion is when you're afraid it will break then its already broken. Whats the point of browsing the web at 4.5ghz anyway?

Exactly; what would be the point of suping up your car and not taking it to the drag strip?? In the car scene, you'll get exactly that type of attitude--after spending time and money on mods (which its tens of thousands of dollars these days) and you ask the owner if he dyno'd the thing or took it to the drag strip he just says "nah I'm afraid I'll break something."

My opinion is when you're afraid it will break then its already broken. Whats the point of browsing the web at 4.5ghz anyway?

That's the dumbest comparison I've ever heard.

FYI, I run my car at the drag strip. It may be fine the first 100 passes but who knows, on that 101st I may break an axle or go lean...

I don't get why people are so anal about stupid stress tests. When do you EVER run your CPU that hard for such a long period of time? If it doesn't crash under the conditions I put it through day to day then it's plenty stable.

][V][AGIC;1033425001 said:
Hah, we'll see what you think when you're in the middle of a 20 page page paper and your computer locks up in MSWord because your OC isn't completely stable.

agreed

That's the dumbest comparison I've ever heard.

FYI, I run my car at the drag strip. It may be fine the first 100 passes but who knows, on that 101st I may break an axle or go lean...

I don't get why people are so anal about stupid stress tests. When do you EVER run your CPU that hard for such a long period of time? If it doesn't crash under the conditions I put it through day to day then it's plenty stable.

You're right; it is a dumb comparison because car/computer analogies are retarded. I felt that way when I was writing it.

There are generally two reasons people like to overclock; to get the most out of their systems or just to flex their nuts. So here is my point--don't flex your nuts if they can't swing the iron.

A reasonable person would run a stress tester to be confident they won't get boned later.

You're right; it is a dumb comparison because car/computer analogies are retarded. I felt that way when I was writing it.

There are generally two reasons people like to overclock; to get the most out of their systems or just to flex their nuts. So here is my point--don't flex your nuts if they can't swing the iron.

A reasonable person would run a stress tester to be confident they won't get boned later.

QFT,

like others have said, wait till your doing something really important and your computer decides to crash because you failed to stress test it properly for real stability

hmmoy7.jpg
:p

That's a sweet overclock, 50% is just crazy for a modern processor. I can't wait till I get mine, not that I'll be clocking it that high since my vid card will be a bottleneck. Still nice to see it has some ridiculous headroom though

Just to make you guys happy, I did SP2004, one on each core and it was failing within 5 minutes. I put it down to 4350 and called it a day seeing as it was stable for a half hour. My temps are really high though.

66 and 67c are my temps while priming

burntest would toss you well into the mid/upper 70's then...

that's definitely about as far i'd i'd like to go...

but a killer clock nonetheless...
wish i had a quad that would go that high :(

I OC`ed my friend's E8400 to 4.0GhZ until it couldn't take anymore. Now's it's at 4 stabled.

QFT.

OCCT is no longer what I'd consider reliable. My original 1.296vcore for 4Ghz (fairly decent for C0's) passed 2hour OCCT easily (which means it passes Prime even easier).

Enter L4D - after 4hours continuous play, I'm treated to the first BSOD. Mind you I had been playing TF2 and CS:S for hours at a time since Feb 2008 on what I considered a stable overclock. After first I thought it was my RAM. Nope. Changed divider, discovered (lol) that this it does 500Mhz easily, so not the RAM getting flakey. Next was to test vcore. Bumped it up two steps.

Done I thought. Nope. Treated to a Windows file BSOD after 2 hours of L4D. Again, this is showing that CPU-based stress tools do nothing to prove 3D stable. Mind you, with the vcore bump I tested up to 2hours OCCT stable to 458FSB (4.122Ghz). L4D was failing at only 4Ghz!

Finally I figured the only thing left to bump was NB voltage. VTT, both in my past experience and notes (and retested again) does not help stability for the e8400's, particularly at such low clocks. Bumped my NB voltage 2 steps (1.37v to 1.42v). Haven't had a BSOD since. So yeah, OCCT 2 hours up to 9x458, but BSODing in L4D at 9x445 (4Ghz)?

CPU tools tell you jack about real world stability. 3D stable is the ONLY thing that matters if you actually want to use the damn thing. Forget about the e-peen, suicide shots of SuperPI. Ask them if it's 3D stable - I guarantee you 99% of those SS are bullshit for real-world use.

@OP have tried to test your oc with LinX?

IBT has bug problem with memory size

heres my max stable on air with TRUE + Panaflo Med 120x38mm

I can only get mine to like 4.1ghz but then again I got DDR2 800 RAM to work with.

Back