E8400 / E8500 Mobo and Ram recommendation

1erCru

Limp Gawd
Looking to upgrade but I am in a pinch in regards to ram
I use XP with SP3

Interested in:

Asus p5Q pro

E8400 or E8500

Now... I have 2 GB of DDR2 800 4-4-4-12. It has been awhile since I built a new rig and I am a bit confused as to the best memory to use if I want to hit 4ghz.

Having said that would this be a good choice for ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

or should I stick with my 2 gb of DDR2 800?

Thanks for any advice

If your ram can run at 888MHz, you can get an E8400 to 4GHz.
842MHz to get the E8500 to 4GHz.

Hmm, so what would be the safest memory configuration if I chose to upgrade and not use my DDR2800.

I'm not really sure. Is it as simple as getting ram faster than DDR2 800 and then downclocking it to give you more room to run with your overclock?

Would CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) be a better choice?

Really I am just looking for the best memory pairing that will give me some breathing room if I was to attempt a 4GHz frequency.

DDR800 requires you to overclock the memory to get to 4Ghz. I am looking for the proper timings and frequency on the ram where it would be running at stock settings or downclocked a bit with a 4Ghz freq.

Not sure if what I am saying makes sense.

Its best to keep your ram running 1:1 (x2 DDR) with the FSB.
If you dont there is a performance penalty.
You can use a lower multiplier to use a faster FSB, hence faster ram, but it doesnt help performance.
I couldnt tell the difference.

You need to find the timings for your ram that work at the speed you intend to run it.
We cant do that for you.

from what ive read the e8400 is the better buy than the 8500. just throwing that out there. and can be overclocked pretty nicely too

Its best to keep your ram running 1:1 (x2 DDR) with the FSB.
If you dont there is a performance penalty.
You can use a lower multiplier to use a faster FSB, hence faster ram, but it doesnt help performance.
I couldnt tell the difference.

You need to find the timings for your ram that work at the speed you intend to run it.
We cant do that for you.

Agreed, test your RAM.

If you're set on upgrading to 4GB in general, then the Dominator kit you linked is great.

I'm not really sure. Is it as simple as getting ram faster than DDR2 800 and then downclocking it to give you more room to run with your overclock?

Would CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) be a better choice?

Really I am just looking for the best memory pairing that will give me some breathing room if I was to attempt a 4GHz frequency.

DDR800 requires you to overclock the memory to get to 4Ghz. I am looking for the proper timings and frequency on the ram where it would be running at stock settings or downclocked a bit with a 4Ghz freq.

Not sure if what I am saying makes sense.

I would reccomend the GSkill PC2 8000 for $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

I've got this set with my E8400 at 4125Ghz Ram: 1000Mhz

Back