e8400 how bad is intels stock cooler?

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
i dont plan on raisin the voltage much at all, if any. will the intel stock cooler with some as5 and good case vent be enough for me or are these things so crappy that an aftermarket cooler is a must buy?

It's not great... however its fine for mild overclocking id say, wouldn't push the voltage up too much. Just check your temps with the overclock, make sure they are within reason.

i have my e6850 @ 3.2 on the stock cooler. i wouldnt feel comfortable going much over this without a decent heatsink tbh.

With an E8400 you should be fine with the stock cooler unless you want to start raising voltage.

I'd agree - it's okay, but not great. The stock heatsink on the E8400 (at least on mine) is shorter than the one on the E6750, probably due to the improved thermal characteristics of the chip requiring less cooling. At stock speeds/voltage, and using the included TIM, mine gets up to about 50c at load (43c idle). I haven't tried overclocking it yet - not sure if I'll bother until I stop being lazy and install one of those fancy heatsinks I have in the closet.

i was plannin on seing if i could get to 3.6 that is the goal
ill have a exhaust cooler over the vid card and 2 120mm and 2 80mm fans in my Fulltower so hopefully with some as5 i might get away with a very modest voltage increase
think i have any shot of hitting 3.6?

Back