e8400 life @ 4Ghz

KillaChaos

Limp Gawd
I was thinking about overclocking to 4Ghz but I was wondering the lifetime of the CPU at voltages above 1.3. I really do not want this CPU to die after a year (going to make an entirely new build when Nahelem comes around).

What are the average lifetimes of a non OCed CPU and one pushed to its highest voltage?

are you kidding? 1.3 volts is nothing. I would say if you want to be safe then keep it under 1.4

Obviously no one has ran a wolfdale or even any core 2 for more than two years, but I think I remember reading somewhere that cpus will run for about 10 years 24/7 if not overclocked. Intel specifies 1.3625v for the e8400 as the maximum you want to go for no extra degradation. Where people get into trouble is when they try to give their 45nm chip the same kinda voltage they gave their old 65nm (1.4-1.6).

I don't really think it's a problem for wolfdale though because by the time you're around 1.36v you're already well into the zone of diminishing returns afaik.

Been running my E3110 at 4ghz 1.38v for about 4 months now. The processor is running Folding@home 24/7, fully loaded, and I haven't had a single issue with it yet.

I don't really think it's a problem for wolfdale though because by the time you're around 1.36v you're already well into the zone of diminishing returns afaik.

QFT

1.36+- will probably get you to 4Ghz, and should be safe

go much higher with voltage won't get you a whole lot more.

I have friends who still runs on overclocked P4 or Socket A for over 4 or 5 years and nothing bad has happen. As long as your not overclocking stupidly your processor should last for a long while. By the processor dies you should have upgraded ages ago.

Back