E8500 test

Damn! That's insane! :eek:

Time to get a couple of these and try them out on my 780i.

Wow, you guys are what this place is all about. Hats off to you! :cool:

QFT!!!

all I could say for the last three minutes was HOLY FUCK!!!!
>.< :eek: Hellaciously nice OC

Seems like it's been 8 years since we've seen these kinds of OC's (on air)!!!!
w000000000000h0000000!

*fondly recalls AMD's thunderbirds*
*drool*

Looks like it's finally time for an Intel again!
(and yes I know that's over due.. ;p lol
Just been putting it off til the "chipset battle" wore down a bit more...
x38...45...etc

I suppose you live in another country since they are no where to be found in the US.:confused:

Thanks. Curse those Intel chipset boards :p I'm with a evga 680i. Somehow I don't think I'll be getting those kinda speeds with my board anytime soon :(

Wish the 8500's would show up already.

I saw them last Sunday when I was in Akihabara. It was my first time in Japan. I was there for business so I only had a day to myself, but the sheer quantity and quality of stuff in Akihabara is staggering, it really goes beyond what you can imagine.

Here Yee here Yee..................................................................All Rise.....................................................centvalny ..............................................Be Seated

I sit in Awe My Brother You have truly given us all something to shoot for

Guys, I dont want to kill the party cos those are AWESOME overclocks but I checked how XtremeSystems have been getting on as a few were reporting problems with overclocks diminishing and dead CPUs.
The problem doesnt seem to have gone away.
For clarity, these are E8400 overclocks, the E8500's may have higher headroom.

See this page, post #1494, 3 days ago
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173999&page=60
Cadaveca explains how one of his CPUs degraded then died.
Theres a fair amount more going on in the thread but those guys taking notice of the issue are concerned about it.
After his experiences he recommends staying under 1.375V on air if you dont want to damage your CPU !

Later at the bottom, flesheatinvirus explains how he has run his chip fast for over a month and is currently getting 4.3GHz @ 1.38V.
This is a pretty high clock but a lowish voltage so it might explain why he isnt suffering like others are.

I am also concerned because I had to give a tiny voltage boost to mine to stay at 4GHz a few days ago and few hours ago it failed Orthos in less than 10 minutes (still runs Crysis fine though :))
I have run my chip at 1.5V / 4.35GHz to test (this may have damaged/weakened something) and am using just over 1.35V / 4GHz now (set in BIOS, not measured)
If it does it again, I'll need to back off the speed to get the voltage down.

It is still possible that something else is coming into play like unknown behaviour between the CPU and motherboard but regardless the problem exists at least on the E8400's.
There has been an implication that very high FSB speeds may have an impact so I'm going back to a x9 multi until this is resolved.

For now, its a good idea to read up on the problem and decide for yourself if you want to try for those incredible overclocks.
Good luck :)

ps best start another thread to discuss as I dont want to ruin this ace thread but felt you should know what it might do.

I have been tempted by this processor for quite sometime but I guess I'll have to wait for the penryn quad core.

Guys, I dont want to kill the party cos those are AWESOME overclocks but I checked how XtremeSystems have been getting on as a few were reporting problems with overclocks diminishing and dead CPUs.
The problem doesnt seem to have gone away.
For clarity, these are E8400 overclocks, the E8500's may have higher headroom.

For now, its a good idea to read up on the problem and decide for yourself if you want to try for those incredible overclocks.
Good luck :)

ps best start another thread to discuss as I dont want to ruin this ace thread but felt you should know what it might do.
Everyday 24/7...I run with all voltage in stock:) Ita already fast.

The best cooling (air or sub zero) is an absolut must if you jolt high vcore on any cpu and again its fot temporary benching session.

My ram is Team Xtreem 1000 5-5-5

Have my E8500 running at 4.25GHz for 10 hours now at 1.5v full load on CPU and RAM. Did not like running at 4.5GHz on less than 1.65v and then was still flaky. DDR2 at 1000MHz. Waterblock (Koolance 300w block and 4 year old Exos unit) temp is showing 93F. Got an 80mm low RPM fan on the NB heatsink, with the waterblock (not in the loop, only air cooling on the mobo) on the NB showing 100F. Mobo is an Asus P35 Blitz Extreme. E8500 POSTED on it the board with no issue on a BIOS from 7 months ago. Obviously Orthos GHz is wrong because I have lowered the stock multiplier as I wanted to keep the 500MHz/2000MHz FSB.

4250-8500.jpg

You guys need to hang out at XS for awhile - this is old news - they've had highly OC'd E8500's like this for months now...

Been there, but I don't trust the results over there for 3 reasons:
1 - they always get this super secret cherry picked ES' from buddys of buddys at Intel, etc... so their stuff usually is faster than retail chips
2 - they always use exotic cooling like liquid nitrogen for suicide runs
3 - often their OC's are only stable enough for a quick suicide run of SuperPI, etc..

I want to see retail chips, on air cooling, that are Orthos stable 24 hours. Something I could put in my main rig and run 24/7 like that.

Kinda makes a guy want an Intel rig. Nice part Intel, hopefully AMD can put together something that is at least marginally competitive.

Been there, but I don't trust the results over there for 3 reasons:
1 - they always get this super secret cherry picked ES' from buddys of buddys at Intel, etc... so their stuff usually is faster than retail chips
2 - they always use exotic cooling like liquid nitrogen for suicide runs
3 - often their OC's are only stable enough for a quick suicide run of SuperPI, etc..

I want to see retail chips, on air cooling, that are Orthos stable 24 hours. Something I could put in my main rig and run 24/7 like that.

He has a point there.. honestly that forum is a place for the extreme overclocking people to go to.

He has a point there.. honestly that forum is a place for the extreme overclocking people to go to.

I go there often for specific motherboard advice, as they compile like 200 page long threads on each motherboard, with people posting photographs of their BIOS settings etc. So it can be helpful, but I just don't put a lot of weight in the their overclocks for my own expectations.

Kinda makes a guy want an Intel rig. Nice part Intel, hopefully AMD can put together something that is at least marginally competitive.

Kinda?! Stop living in denial! You haven't wanted to switch ever since Intel launched Core 2 Duo? Just do it, you won't regret it!

Amazing overclocks! This will just spur on the onslaught of "Should I buy a dual-core or quad-core processor" threads :(

I'm a little torn too, 4.5 Ghz is ridiculously fast...

I totally didn't mean to sound like an ass, I've just read everybody's responses about the E8500 here when I've been saying this about the E8500's for MONTHS now and everybody here kept telling me I'm FOS. A little frustation I guess.

Well yes you did sound like an ass. But I am still not sure why we can't discuss it here just because it has been done elsewhere on the Net. I could also argue that it did not mean shit months ago as well. They are about to show now and I think the topic if very pertinent.

And I have to also agree with what Chris had to say as well....on both counts.

Back on topic.....I crashed my Orthos run after jacking around with it while it was under full load. :( I run my Orthos where it pages into the full 2GB of RAM and it started disk trashing heavily and Orthos finally errored out. Sad panda.

About 5 hours into the second Orthos test at 4.25GHz/1.5v the office temp was up to 82F and the waterblock was showing 101F. The system shut off and rebooted.

Great program to move some pixels and stress the GPU and subsequent bus.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Boot up @ 550

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8167/screenshot089mb6.jpg[/img]

Lavalys trial...

Which motherboard was used for this ?

my E8500 Q740A493T retails do around 530-535FSB 32M for Blitz Formula on water, only 520FSB for DFI LT X38-T2R and 542FSB on Asus Commando with 1/4HP HS phase - need a better board as a friend of mine has same batch cpu and same 530FSB on water but on Gigabyte hit 580FSB heh.

An idea of how super pi 32M times improved from E8500/Commando 965P cpu scaling

• 5007Mhz - 9.5 x 527FSB 1:1 4-4-4-5 = 9min 38.203s
  • 5033Mhz - 9.5x 530FSB 1:1 4-4-4-5 = 9min 35.343s (26Mhz higher = 2.86s faster than 5007Mhz time)
  • 5099Mhz - 9.5 x 536FSB 1:1 4-4-4-5 = 9min 24.625s (92Mhz higher = 13.578s faster than 5007Mhz time)
  • 5119Mhz - 9.5 x 539FSB 1:1 4-4-4-5 = 9min 21.859s (112Mhz higher = 16.344s faster than 5007Mhz time)
  • 5155Mhz - 9.5x 542FSB 1:1 4-4-4-5 = 9min 17.516s (148Mhz higher = 20.687s faster than 5007Mhz time)

:D

Back