EA-380D enough power?

Here is what I'm planning on for my next build:

x6 1055t
Blu-ray drive
1x HDD
Possibly a SSD
1x4gb DDR3-1600

Will the 380D be enough?

While the EA-380 is awesome, I'm going to say no, it will not be enough. You will likely need at least a quality 450w for that rig. The 380 may power it, but you're really pushing the limits of what it can do.

I am running a 5850 oc'd to 870 running 24/7 on that psu and it is going strong. So yes it is enough.

The 6670 and X6 would be the most power consuming components.

The 6670 may use 75W max,and about 130W or more for the X6.The rest would be around 100W.
That'd be 305W in total.

Theorically the EA-380D would be just enough for it.But i'd choose a 450W PSU like the VX450W just in case.

The 6670 and X6 would be the most power consuming components.

The 6670 may use 75W max,and about 130W or more for the X6.The rest would be around 100W.
That'd be 305W in total.

Theorically the EA-380D would be just enough for it.But i'd choose a 450W PSU like the VX450W just in case.

Actually, that would be cutting it a bit close for the EA380D Green: That PSU can handle a maximum of 336W (28A) combined on its two +12V "rails".

Well, not all of the peripherals are pulling on the 12v rail, maybe about half. So that's 50 watts on the 12v rail for the peripherals, making it about 250 watts total.

Actually, that would be cutting it a bit close for the EA380D Green: That PSU can handle a maximum of 336W (28A) combined on its two +12V "rails".
Then running near its maximum load can't be a good thing,is it?

My calculation is purely assumption so it won't be accurate,just to give the OP a clear view of what would happen. :D

Thanks for the info guys. This will be a htpc that backs up blu-rays as well... Ship it won't be running anywhere near full capacity very often.

It could do it, using a 350watt Antec, however it would be pushing at least 50% of it's load at idle. A good quality 500 to 600 watt will probably suffice you. If you getting a new PSU, might as well buy a more powerful one that will power any future upgrades. It's how I see it.

I'm using a AX750 with 1x6950 and 1x5830, and 1x 400gb 7200rpm hdd on a 780i w/a Q6600 at 1.4 volts. It consumes ~450 watts according to my belkin power measurement device. Hope that helps.

BTW, why the heck are you using a 6 core in an HTPC?

why not, i know one of forum member who has just stuffed an ATX server board into his new HTPC, with twin hex core xeons!!!:D:cool:

Additional cost for parts, additional cost for power consumption, additional heat, additional noise for cooling. All for nothing.

That's why not.

A bad idea is a bad idea, even if someone you know is doing it.

bassballboy,

I'd also take noise into consideration, the 80mm this thing has isn't even close to being quiet vs. a Seasonic or SilverStone of the same wattage. Unless noise isn't an issue with your htpc, I'd look elsewhere.

Personally, I always use Seasonic, but I'm sure others have equal or better suggestions.

LC

Why do you guys care if he's using an overkill part? Isn't that what the site is about?

Used that psu in several customer builds and it seems to be a great unit.

Why do you guys care if he's using an overkill part? Isn't that what the site is about?

Used that psu in several customer builds and it seems to be a great unit.

The site is also for sound advise. Certainly no one is going to stop him from doing what makes him happy. It's one thing to go overkill on your main gaming machine, but a media server that just sits in a corner by itself, streaming media from time to time, well, I'm not sure how much joy you will get from overpowering something like that.

The site is also for sound advise. Certainly no one is going to stop him from doing what makes him happy. It's one thing to go overkill on your main gaming machine, but a media server that just sits in a corner by itself, streaming media from time to time, well, I'm not sure how much joy you will get from overpowering something like that.

He runs f@h on it as well, the more power the merrier

Additional cost for parts, additional cost for power consumption, additional heat, additional noise for cooling. All for nothing.

That's why not.

A bad idea is a bad idea, even if someone you know is doing it.

It isn't a bad idea, have you ever recoded a mkv file? The 6 core processor is perfect for it.

To all:

I might consider getting a more powerful PSU... especially a quiet one that puts out less heat, though I'll have to figure out what to do with the 380D then...

It isn't a bad idea, have you ever recoded a mkv file? The 6 core processor is perfect for it.

Recorded? Not sure what you mean by recording an MKV file. I've encoded to an MKV file and I've played back MKV files in HD as well. My media server is a C2D e5200 which streams to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server software and a gigabit connection. I haven't come across a MKV file I wasn't able to stream yet.

If you're using it to encode, that's another matter.

Recorded? Not sure what you mean by recording an MKV file. I've encoded to an MKV file and I've played back MKV files in HD as well. My media server is a C2D e5200 which streams to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server software and a gigabit connection. I haven't come across a MKV file I wasn't able to stream yet.

If you're using it to encode, that's another matter.

I'm confused.... Where did I say record?

In any case..... Recoding a 30GB mkv to a 10GB file will go really fast with it...

my mistake, i read it wrong... But yes, transcoding/encoding/recoding, whatever you want to call it will benefit if the machine is actually being used for those tasks.

Heck, i'm transcoding all 7 seasons of my Star Trek TNG box set to my media server and wish I had a 980x right about now.

You really don't need more than the EA 380D can offer.. you could actually slap a superior VGA in there and still be perfectly ok, up to a 6850 or 550Ti and even above if you're willing to undervolt both the GPU and CPU..
The X6 will top @ 200W in Prime, while the 6670 won't touch 100W in Fur and stay around ~50-60W in normal load, the rest is irrelevant..

However, as a few others mentioned already, the X6 is indeed a poor choice for a HTPC.

my mistake, i read it wrong... But yes, transcoding/encoding/recoding, whatever you want to call it will benefit if the machine is actually being used for those tasks.

Heck, i'm transcoding all 7 seasons of my Star Trek TNG box set to my media server and wish I had a 980x right about now.

No worries, I didn't mention that I got it for $150, but it came with a $50 gift card at Fry's.

Back