EA dumps SecuROM for Dragon Age: Origins; instead uses CD check

Excellent. I know EA is popular to bash but give them credit for this, folks.

I'm not going to give them credit for bragging about taking away all the crap they shouldn't have added in the first place. Either way, as soon as a non-gamestop pre-order site comes up I'll be making my purcahase. Been waiting for this game since 2004.

Nice, I will be buying it. EA is finally listening to it's customers. Although I thought disc checking was a part of Securom.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If they're trying to stop "friendly" copying, like the people that would run off a copy or let their friend borrow theirs to install on their PC then I think a simple CD check does just fine. Other than the uproar from the people, I bet that with the current state of the economy it was in their best interest to cut more heavy security measures that are just going to be broken anyway.

I'm not going to give them credit for bragging about taking away all the crap they shouldn't have added in the first place. Either way, as soon as a non-gamestop pre-order site comes up I'll be making my purcahase. Been waiting for this game since 2004.

They're not bragging. It was posted on the Dragon Age forums. Its not like they made a huge press release and screamed it at the top of their lungs. Other sites picked it up from there.

Nice, I will be buying it. EA is finally listening to it's customers. Although I thought disc checking was a part of Securom.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Disc check is part of a large number of DRM schemes. From SecuROM to Tages to Starforce, and so on. Disc check was optional with SR7, however.

The SecuROM disc protection doesn't install anything, though it can cause some issues with optical reads (see: Crysis). I'm willing to tolerate that if it means no authentication/install limits/etc.

Still digitally manages my rights; it's still DRM. That simple. Don't polish a turd or try to give it a new name.

Still digitally manages my rights; it's still DRM. That simple. Don't polish a turd or try to give it a new name.

look jabroni. people's main concern over DRM is the online activation shit AND the stupid install limits

It's sad that it took them this long to figure out that people don't like heavy DRM.

I'm guessing that the bioware people are the ones who swayed this. Or maybe I just don't want to say anything nice about EA.

Disk check is MUCH better than online activation limits or SecuROM. If you don't like it then don't play it. That simple. :rolleyes: People always find something new to complain about...

Disc checks aren't typically labeled as "DRM", and they were never referred to as DRM before the advent of actual DRM like SecuROM-based activation, Steam, etc. It's an anti-piracy measure -- not a form of DRM.

There's a clear distinction between what a disc check entails versus what online activation and activation limits entail.

This is kinda funny, the install limit thing was so horrible that we are happy to just have to deal with Securom. I think theres a marketing term for that, pushing something very bad to increase acceptance for something thats just bad.

This is kinda funny, the install limit thing was so horrible that we are happy to just have to deal with Securom. I think theres a marketing term for that, pushing something very bad to increase acceptance for something thats just bad.

Did you actually read? They're not using SecuROM.

Disc checks aren't typically labeled as "DRM", and they were never referred to as DRM before the advent of actual DRM like SecuROM-based activation, Steam, etc. It's an anti-piracy measure -- not a form of DRM.

There's a clear distinction between what a disc check entails versus what online activation and activation limits entail.

Indeed.

Which is why I boycott the latter and am only mildly annoyed by the former :D

The SecuROM disc protection doesn't install anything, though it can cause some issues with optical reads (see: Crysis). I'm willing to tolerate that if it means no authentication/install limits/etc.

If SecuROM doesn't install anything, then how can it interfere with optical reads, and how could there be a SecuROM removal tool? I mean, if it didn't install anything, there wouldn't be anything to remove... right?

Did you actually read? They're not using SecuROM.

Nope.

"Access to this web site has been blocked" ;)

That doesnt change my point though. When something really bad is pushed, people are happy to go back to something only mildly bad, such as Securom. Whatever EA is going to use doesnt really matter, and by their track record I'm sure they will find some way to make it worse than just a 'disc check' before release.

Nope.

"Access to this web site has been blocked" ;)

That doesnt change my point though. When something really bad is pushed, people are happy to go back to something only mildly bad, such as Securom. Whatever EA is going to use doesnt really matter, and by their track record I'm sure they will find some way to make it worse than just a 'disc check' before release.

Basic. Disc. Check. How hard is that to understand?

I'm not going to repeat what they have already confirmed so look here: http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=677056&forum=135

If SecuROM doesn't install anything, then how can it interfere with optical reads, and how could there be a SecuROM removal tool? I mean, if it didn't install anything, there wouldn't be anything to remove... right?
SecuROM is basically two different things (three, really, but only two apply to us). Firstly, there's SecuROM disc protection, which uses basic techniques to prevent the disc from being copied and has some installed code to do checksum verification with the disc. The "interface" is usually directly in the game's executable. Then there's SecuROM activation, which installs accessory software, makes specific registry entries and so forth. This is the "rookit" functionality of SecuROM that prevents drive emulation and so forth, and this is what the removal tool is for.

As for optical read issues, they happen because of the physical disc protection that's placed prior to the actual volume data. Some drives read these discs fine; others freak out for a while but usually succeed (like my Lite-Ons); still others fail outright to read them.

The truth is they have learned they can't stop what some people do,and now.They want to act like their doing us a favor.Yeah right.

EA is also considering removing the need for the DVD or CD to be in the drive for Battlefield 2 in patch 1.5.

Hopefully it'll end up on Steam, and they won't add any extra activation limit crap in the process.

Hopefully it'll end up on Steam, and they won't add any extra activation limit crap in the process.

I think they've kind of hinted at a Steam version. In the topic on their forums they specifically talked about Steam as a non-EA method of delivery and mentioned that a Steam version would use Valve's DRM.

Either way, this is a step in the right direction, and this is coming from a "leader" in console/pc gaming, so I hope other companies follow suit.

Even more I could pray for the day they issue updates removing any sort of SecuROM/DRM from their previous products to put this new policy/CD check in place. A pipe dream, but a dream nonetheless :(

I will buy this. I will start buying EA games again if they stick with a simple CD check.

Either way, this is a step in the right direction, and this is coming from a "leader" in console/pc gaming, so I hope other companies follow suit.

Even more I could pray for the day they issue updates removing any sort of SecuROM/DRM from their previous products to put this new policy/CD check in place. A pipe dream, but a dream nonetheless :(

The RA3 devs said they would eventually remove it from their game.

Back