EA not letting Punkbuster ban cheaters?

Toytown

Gawd
I run a few public gameservers, mainly due to the fact that i have some colocated machines, which are pretty good spec, but using almost none of the bandwidth/cpu they could. Im normally on the ball regarding cheaters on the servers and use various different methods to help reduce them as much as possible.

i.e. in the case of the CSS servers we use steambans.com and other plugins to help us keep the amount of cheaters at a low.

Now in trying to educate myself on what kind of tools the cheaters has, i also visit the hacking sites, to see the kind of discussion's going on and how i can use that better to stop the cheaters on my server. I've noticed recently on some of them, that EA have stopped punkbuster handing out bans for 'some' known cheats, instead the punkbuster client will simply kick you now, especially in the case of Battlefield 2142, it appears EA have got scared of removing permanent bans, to try and keep the games population higher, perhaps?

Now you could say, well the cheater was kicked from the game, so aslong as nobody in game is cheating that is all fine, in which case thats kinda true. However if the only problem a cheater is going to face is being kicked when using a known cheat, then that sets a very very bad precedant for gaming, as that means any cheater can just keep cycling through different cheat programs until he finds one which is good (or look it up on a website) and use that, until he starts getting kicked, then swap to another one. With no real threat of losing the money he paid for on the game, there is almost no risk involved in cheating anymore.

Is it any surprise at all that its EA who has made this great decision?

Can't you ban by ID in BF servers, or at least kick for a set length of time which can be set really high?

If those sorts of tools arent available to admins then I'm shocked!

Can't you ban by ID in BF servers, or at least kick for a set length of time which can be set really high?

If those sorts of tools arent available to admins then I'm shocked!

To be honest, im not sure, as i dont run any BF servers, but punkbuster (which is needed to play any BF online), should issue bans out for cheating, the same way that VAC does for Valve games. Only it appears that EA have taken the step of getting punkbuster to not issue a permanent ban, only issue a kick, which as mentioned above, sets a very bad precedent.

I'd bet there have been problems of false positives regarding punkbuster so EA simply reduce the punishment as a simple fix rather than throwing tons of money at truly resolving the problem.

I can imagine Punkbuster not updating properly could lead to a legitimate user being identified as a 'cheater and getting permanently banned when they'd done nothing wrong.

But alas, it's EA, so there has to be some evil motive in there. EA promotes cheaters!!!111 :rolleyes:

People... if yo dont have nothing to say about the subject of th OP , just stay the fuck out of the thread.This is an interesting subject , since the BF series is huge.

One difference between PB and VAC is that VAC flags are investigated and if the positive hack flag is verified by an actual person then the person is banned later. PB takes alot into its own hands as a piece of software which could result in people being banned from a game they paid for without cause.

OP - Who's your EA source for this "decision"? This all sounds like mighty speculation at best.

One difference between PB and VAC is that VAC flags are investigated and if the positive hack flag is verified by an actual person then the person is banned later

As i remember, VAC works like PB, in that it scans the application/game memory to make sure nothing is being modified, it also checks what programs are loaded and if any are injected/wrapped around the games EXE and some other usefull stuff like that. Then if it sees anything it shouldnt, then it flags you to be banned. The reason for the ban later is not due to people investigating it, however due to the fact that delaying the ban, will give confusion to the cheater and the cheating communitiy, as to just what cheat he was banned for.

OP - Who's your EA source for this "decision"? This all sounds like mighty speculation at best

I have no source, however if you check various places, you will see that punkbuster is 'only' kicking 'some' (maybe all) confirmed hacks on 2142, whereby in the past on other games it has flagged your account for a ban. I dont want to mention some of the places this is bought up, but a simple look around on various places will confirm it, heres a quote from one source, regarding 2142 hacks

The 187ci aimbot cheat is no longer PunkBuster proof, but the you only get a kick from the game and no ban

Simplehack is now detected by punkbuster but the good news is that no ban only a kick, so your account is safe

Sounds like there are too many cheaters, hackers and players in BF2/2142 for EA and PB to keep up with.

Apparently there has been no "decision" handed down from EA to selectively ban some accounts and not others.

However some decision HAS been made. When you can effectively find a cheat in a game and take the step of kicking the player for using it, rather than banning him across all the PB protected servers, then that means somebody has made the decision to let these people continue to play.

The only 2 places i can think that the decision has been made, is either EA / Punkbuster. Now as punkbuster ban for cheats on other games they protect, i think then some of the decision has to have came from EA. They may as well just shove up a message when the cheater trys to connect saying

Please remove the cheat you have run before trying to connect to this server
OR
use a newer cheat program which we havent yet detected
In all instances your account is safe
EA challenge everything......except the cheaters

EA challenge everything......except the cheaters

Since we've come to the concrete conclusion that EA promotes cheating I guess we must assume that EA is purposely trying to drive down sales of their games. More cheaters = less legitimate players. Or maybe BF2/2142 players love to play with cheaters... I didn't think of that...

Back