Ear Bud "monitors"

absolut][krypkn0t

Weaksauce
Who's using what brand and what are your likes/dislikes about them? I've heard that some of them have incredible sound reproduction... I just bought a cheap pair of sony buds ($40) that sound better than any pair of headphones I've ever had and they are hardly what you would call "professional" grade... heh...

I have a pair of the Sony MDR-EX51s and I like them alot. They work great for my Muvo, sound great, and are super comfy. I think I paid 50ish total at the local Frys here in Dallas for them. I was shocked when I heard the sound they can produce...their soooo tiny :D

I have the Shure e4c's and they have excellent sound reproduction, great noise reduction (passive), and they're pretty comfortable too.

Previously I had some Sony ex71's (I think that's the right model). They have good sound for the money, but after listening to the e4c's I'd hate to go back. The Sony's emphasize/over-emphasize the bass, depending on your tastes.

I'd like to try the Shure e5c, but sadly I don't have ~$500 for them.

Another vote for Shure monitors. I have the E3c and have been amazed at the difference in quality coming out of my ipod and portable DVD. They have also come out with gaming monitors(the "g" sereies) that offer higher quality base response. If you listen to headphones a lot then there is no better earbud than Shure.

I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6. They are great in most respects, but after an hour or so of use, my ears start to hurt really bad because of the silicone earpieces. I am getting some custom molded earpieces for Christmas. The sound reproduction is great in the mids and highs, but the lows are lacking a bit. If you had an amp with the buds they would be much better.

thanks for all the input... hadn't heard of the super.fi's before... but will definetly give them a listen... been leaning towards shure at this point... haven't heard anything close to that good sounding... maybe the super.fi's will suprise me! =) on can hope... though I can imagine them being too much better than the shure's...

chew63 said:
I'd like to try the Shure e5c, but sadly I don't have ~$500 for them.

I used mine this afternoon. I went from the E2's to the E5's and the difference is amazing, but let me tell you one thing... You better make sure your source doesn't suck because you'll hear every hiss, artifact, and bad EQ in the world with these things.

Money well spent? Definitely.

I have a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pros. They're very good and i'm very pleased with them. They block sound well, and the detail is fantastic.

i <3 my shure e2c's. took me a while to get used to them and get a nice seal, but once i figured that out became money well spent

I've been trying out a bunch of generic ear monitors for use on the bus and on planes. I have both the E5's and the UE5 Super FI's. The UE's sound way better than the E5's but I'm not really satisfied with either of them. Lately I've just been using my UE10 molds. They sound great but they're farking expensive.

magnetik said:
I am probably going to pick up a set of Ultimate Ears super.fi 5EB when I get some extra money. I keep hearing around the forums that they have better bass than the DT770s.

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/item__view_item__prod-980.html

Wow? Anyone care to confirm? And no, I don't wanna go to head-fi...damn dangerous place!

mastephens said:
I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6. They are great in most respects, but after an hour or so of use, my ears start to hurt really bad because of the silicone earpieces. I am getting some custom molded earpieces for Christmas. The sound reproduction is great in the mids and highs, but the lows are lacking a bit. If you had an amp with the buds they would be much better.

Foamies! It's all about the foamies! I'll be damned if I ever let another canalphone violate my ears like a dog after BF bone rush!!

are these ear buds as loud as over the ear headphones? considering the fact im 50% deaf i have been wondering about these ear buds. i hate to wear hearing aids and ahve a headphone over it because i cant hear any bass. i would like to hear some bass and thought the ear buds would do that?

rekojenasni_787 said:
are these ear buds as loud as over the ear headphones? considering the fact im 50% deaf i have been wondering about these ear buds. i hate to wear hearing aids and ahve a headphone over it because i cant hear any bass. i would like to hear some bass and thought the ear buds would do that?

They are "canalphones" meaning they sit in the ear much deeper so they should have more bass effect than a traditional earbud.

blank said:
I have a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pros. They're very good and i'm very pleased with them. They block sound well, and the detail is fantastic.
moi aussi. They are super groovy, though i have some issues trying to get a good fit at times. But they are well worth the cost. teh bass is very nice and the overall detail fo the sound (ifyou use a good source) is fan-dam-tastic imo.

Mister X said:
[H]ard forum translation------>
OMG TEH BASE!!!111

:D

I love his second post....

Nice song to test detail and clarity but not exactly a bass head song.....:)

how does one get their music to sound so good. their audio enginner did a nice job

i'm using sony mdr v600
i can only imagine what this would sound like on nicer headphones with a wide sound stage
quick questions
i think i've asked this before but forgot
what determines the sound stage on headphones
and do ear buds have wide sound stages
and where do the sony mdrv600 fall compared to other headpones

Back