Early Opteron 165 impressions

wadec22

2[H]4U
a little fyi for everyone.... ordered a 165 from mwave on sunday, it arrived today. playing with it as i write this. so far i have gotten it to 2.615ghz on 1.392v w/max load temp of 43c. haven't even tried 300htt yet, gonna keep going just thought i would let all know. my stepping is:

CCBWE 0534SPMW

Wow, my X2 hits terrible temps at that vcore and speed. I'm glad my 165 comes in Friday :cool:

Can't wait to see your max.

Dr. X said:
Is that default 2.0ghz?

1.8Ghz

This is 5hrs+ prime95 stable screenshot. I tried 2.704 @ 1.504v, it errored after 15min. I'm thinking about pumping up the voltage on this thing to get it at 2.704, which I'm sure it will do, but I'm curious about heat. As you can see, it says this chip is not Tcase compatible, so I don't know how hot is too hot. Anyone out there know? I halted the test, so I could show you guys how long it had been running. So temps you see are idle full load was about 46/47 on the proc.

Never mind, I don't know how to post a image, I have it saved though, someone want to explain how I do it? :)

hey how do think my zalman 7000b will perform against the stock opteron heatsink?

Mine ran 2.65ghz for 8 hours dual prime small FFT stable overnight last night. I'm currently running it at 1.53v, watercooled around 48c load temp. I think this is as far as the chip can go on total mhz, and it will probably do the same speed with less voltage. I'm pretty happy with it, but I know my board is stable up to 320-340 from my last CPU, not just 295. Still, considering the $100 price difference between the 165 and 170, I'll just run this for a while and switch out later. It's impressively fast already.

See sig for complete system specs, I'm running on the A8N32-SLI.

wadec22 said:
anyone tell me how to post an image?

upload it to imageshack.us and then paste the link for forums they give you into your post

my.php

wow nice temps man how does ur heatsink compare to a xp-90 better or worse?

Keep in mind those are idle in the pic. But temps with my Hyper 6+ are amazing, I believe they are a little better than the xp90 but not as good as the xp120.

EnderW said:
nice wallpaper :p

Thanks. :)

Well guys... I've concluded that I really wish I had water cooling :) With 1.56v my proc is perfectly stable at 2.7ghz but I knocked it down to my previous oc because I saw a peek temp of 57c, which did not bother me so much on my 146, but not knowing the Tcase on this thing, I think I should stick to 2.6. This puppy would do somewhere around 3ghz with water, I know it. :)

Yes, I have watercooling. I don't think anyone is going to stay under 50c on air at 1.55v.

Advil said:
Yes, I have watercooling. I don't think anyone is going to stay under 50c on air at 1.55v.
my 2.6GHz 4400+ stays under 50 C with only decent air cooling and that's at 1.5v

so it may be possible

wadec22 said:
This is 5hrs+ prime95 stable screenshot. I tried 2.704 @ 1.504v, it errored after 15min. I'm thinking about pumping up the voltage on this thing to get it at 2.704, which I'm sure it will do, but I'm curious about heat. As you can see, it says this chip is not Tcase compatible, so I don't know how hot is too hot. Anyone out there know? I halted the test, so I could show you guys how long it had been running. So temps you see are idle full load was about 46/47 on the proc.

Never mind, I don't know how to post a image, I have it saved though, someone want to explain how I do it? :)

Go to www.siihp.com
upload the picture you saved.
then use the IMG tag with the link it gives you.

I got an Opteron 165 today.
it'll be a week or two before I get around to getting it into a system.
I'm shooting for 2.5~2.6ghz with an Epox 9NPA+ Ultra and G.Skill or Patriot PC4000 memory.

well - got a 170 Opteron in last night. Had it at 2.6 for a while - seemed pretty good but wasn't stable. Settled in on 2.5ghz somewhere between 1.4 and 1.5v (ram at 250, htt at 4x, ram divider at 166, specs in sig)
Had prime95 running on each core for about 30 minutes when I noticed the cpu temp just over 70c... (original XP90 with a medium speed panoflow). Heatpipes were very hot - a lot hotter than they ever got with the Winchester single core at 2.5ghz 1.5v. Ok I was surfing a few web pages and about five minutes later - BLINK - computer shuts down. Yikes. Unplugged overnight, still no boot in the morning (I get a quick half second attempt of things spinning up but nothing) I put the old CPU back in - same result. I did get the fans and PSU to come on by UNPLUGGING the 4pin power connector from the board - but it wouldn't post. So hopefully (as much as it still sucks) it's just the board... dangit

seanmcd said:
well - got a 170 Opteron in last night. Had it at 2.6 for a while - seemed pretty good but wasn't stable. Settled in on 2.5ghz somewhere between 1.4 and 1.5v (ram at 250, htt at 4x, ram divider at 166, specs in sig)
Had prime95 running on each core for about 30 minutes when I noticed the cpu temp just over 70c... (original XP90 with a medium speed panoflow). Heatpipes were very hot - a lot hotter than they ever got with the Winchester single core at 2.5ghz 1.5v. Ok I was surfing a few web pages and about five minutes later - BLINK - computer shuts down. Yikes. Unplugged overnight, still no boot in the morning (I get a quick half second attempt of things spinning up but nothing) I put the old CPU back in - same result. I did get the fans and PSU to come on by UNPLUGGING the 4pin power connector from the board - but it wouldn't post. So hopefully (as much as it still sucks) it's just the board... dangit

What motherboard are you using? a CPU should NOT be >70C at only 1.4x volts.
:eek:

wadec22 said:
Keep in mind those are idle in the pic. But temps with my Hyper 6+ are amazing, I believe they are a little better than the xp90 but not as good as the xp120.
hyper 6+'s are alot better than you think they are with the only limiting factor is finding a fan for it, and im willing to bet that itll do a very nice job if you rig two 92mm tornados on it ;)

N H O said:
hyper 6+'s are alot better than you think they are with the only limiting factor is finding a fan for it, and im willing to bet that itll do a very nice job if you rig two 92mm tornados on it ;)

Came with a nice 92mm fan, temps you see now are idle, moments after 24hrs testing, peak on cpu was 46c, love that hyper 6+ :) Here is my final oc, like I said before with water this puppy would be around 3ghz.

my.php

mine X2 4400+ needs 1.6v to stay stable on 2.6Ghz :( $545 it cost me
using my MSI k8n neo2 plat i have to use MSI Core Center software to trick it so it can give 1.6v to cpu bios allows only 1.58v ( reviewers did not mention anything about this that it only allow until 1.58v dual core CPU ) single core gets up to 1.85) :mad:
if i had a PCIexpress video card ill upgrade MB but considering i waste 500 bucks 3 months ago ill just wait until next gen video cards my 6800gt will have to do until then :(

besides i need @ very least 3 PCI slots :( ah the pains of upgrading

robberbaron said:
Wow, my X2 hits terrible temps at that vcore and speed. I'm glad my 165 comes in Friday :cool:

Can't wait to see your max.

1.8Ghz

horrible temps at 1.4v? what are u using to cool it?

AznAnarchy99 said:
horrible temps at 1.4v? what are u using to cool it?

XP90C with a quiet Panaflo. It's more like, vcores of 1.45 and up, and doing dual prime max heat/power tests.

Back