Easiest way to burn out a CRT unnoticeably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relentless3O

Limp Gawd
well, my dad said that if my CRT that is "decaying" survives a month or two, hell get me a new monitor. But he said if my monitor gives out and breaks out now, hell buy one for me. Whats the easiest way to make the picture not work? Im not sure if I want to, but Im just curious anyway. I was going to go with a ViewSonic E90f+SB Silver-Black 19" . Any suggestions there?

Turn it on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and so on.......

I was in the same boat at work.. my old monitor was so dimn and crappy...but it lived on and on and on.

You could grab a pair of needle nose pliers and some rubber. I reccommend a lot unless you've got some major balls. Open the back of the cowling and look for a monster capaciter on the board. Find the solder points on the back and touch the pliers to the contacts. Make sure you close your eyes. When I did this on a monitor once I couldn't see for about 20 minutes and my dad was blinded at about 20 feet away not even looking directly at it. That will deffinently burn it out. All you have to say is "Hmm.. hey dad my monitor won't turn on." He can look all he wants and only see a monster black mark on the PCB. No way to prove you did it.

Skolar said:
You could grab a pair of needle nose pliers and some rubber. I reccommend a lot unless you've got some major balls. Open the back of the cowling and look for a monster capaciter on the board. Find the solder points on the back and touch the pliers to the contacts. Make sure you close your eyes.
Be careful, that will kill the average non-[H] person, and severly hurt the lesser [H] people :D

I'd say drop little small metal fragments (screws?) into the ventilation holes till the CRT explodes :D

Skolar said:
Make sure you close your eyes.
cause otherwise his eyeballs may shoot out onto the carpet? :D

OP, any chance you could just be straight-up with yer dad and just offer to do some chores as a trade?

If my idea doesn't work then you always have the option of overclocking it's onboard processor till it disintegrates :eek: (raising it's refresh to astronomical levels)

SJetski71 said:
If my idea doesn't work then you always have the option of overclocking it's onboard processor till it disintegrates :eek: (raising it's refresh to astronomical levels)
My monitor gives me a "Refresh out of range" error...

Find a broken one from someone and just use that one and tell your dad. No point in ruining a moniter if it still runs ok, just to get pops to buy you a new one.

btw, that is a decent monitor
Better than my 17" CRT Impression 7 Plus with an optimal resolution of 1024x768 @ 80Hz. Now, that is crap

Just put a magnet close to the screen, then show your dad the distored picture. After you get the new monitor take a degauss coil to the old one and fix it. :D

Now I think I have seen it all on this forum.

Helping someone lie to their parents. Nice. :(

Deetox said:
Just put a magnet close to the screen, then show your dad the distored picture. After you get the new monitor take a degauss coil to the old one and fix it. :D
now that is a good idea.

Learning lying and cheating at an early age, nice. Hey moron, get a job, buy a nice monitor. :mad:

don't screw it up - save some money in the meantime and get a better monitor and you will have the "decaying" one as a backup or use it with a different rig

I have the money for the monitor, but my father wont let me buy it now he has to teach me patience or some stupid reason like that. Well thanks, and beast, I am no moron, I just want to get a new monitor because this one is actually hurting my eyes. That magnet/degauss coil sounds like a great idea.

ask your father to buy you a new one as a birthday? present and as a replacement give him that decaying one to use or sell it on ebay.. :) Because..destroying a good monitor (a 19" Viewsonic) afterall is just a waste

Im not destroying the viewsonic...Im buying it. I have this god I dont know what it is monitor. Its from eMachines or something from like some time ago, and its horrible. The turn on button came off, the corners of the screen are starting to fade, and its getting REALLY hot sometimes.

spray some clearcoat on the inside of the vga connector....voila, no signal to the monitor....actually...on second thought...could screw up your vide card too :p

lucky...i need a new monitor....1280x1024@60Hz ain't cuttin it anymore...need an lcd...

Boy, what a coincidence, the week after dad says he'll get you a new screen yours just mysteriously stops working. I dunno, but maybe out of the blue in a twist of fate he too will lose his credit card for a few weeks.

Is a 2x 17'' monitors worth it instead of just one 19''? What are the advantages of having two monitors running at once? I am very intrested, but not sure if I want to do this or not. it would cost 380, and I have just about that amount of money in theory, so what do you suggest?

I ran 2x17" Impression 7PLus monitors (CRTs) until one broke @ 1024 res each. So i got a lot of horizontal room. But the frame of the monitor ruins it for gaming. Because the monitors are of course physically seperated and if you try to game, it will suck. I suggest like a 19" widescreen, the viewsonic one. It has 1440x900 res
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116373

AND it can be obtained at Costco for $300. Or maybe that 20" viewsonic at Costco for $400
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11104098&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

lol you guys are terrible, suggesting to screw with high voltage, and to pour liquids into it... he didn't say anything about wanting to die or burn down his house lmao

Seriously though, it sounds like your dad is telling you to wait becaue he'll buy it for you once he gets the cash or something. It's kind of mean to purposely destory the monitor, just to get it early.

If anything, explain to your dad that you need the new monitor as soon as possible since it's actually hurting your eyes and your worried about the long term effect it'll have on your eyes.

I'm just curious, but why are you going with another CRT? For $300, you should be able to find a decent sized LCD. If the refresh rates are whats causing your eyes to hurt, an LCD will cure that problem. Not to mention that LCDs use much less electricity than CRTs, and much less deskspace too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :p

Oh, and you graphics card probably has a DVI output. If you go with an LCD, you can get one that accepts DVI connections, and it'll have an even higher video quality. (I'm not sure if they make CRTs with DVI inputs)

Matrox462 said:
Oh, and you graphics card probably has a DVI output. If you go with an LCD, you can get one that accepts DVI connections, and it'll have an even higher video quality. (I'm not sure if they make CRTs with DVI inputs)
I thought CRTs worked better with VGA input

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
I thought CRTs worked better with VGA input

Probably, since it's an analog device. I've been using LCDs for many years, so I don't know if they ever made CRTs with DVI inputs.

Either way, I just wanted to point that out if he does decide to go with an LCD. Some people say they have trouble seeing the difference, I definitely did. Mostly text, was noticeably sharper.

I mean two LCD 17'' Monitors (NOT CRT) Instead of getting one monitor as a solution. They are used, but I have seen pictures and do not seem very banged up.

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
One way, without actually physically breaking it is to leave it on 24/7 without a screen saver

Bullsit !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mod Edit - Let's call this one good before the flames really get rolling......BlindedByScience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back