Easiest way to pull out 24 pin power cable from motherboard?

courtney01

Gawd
I always have a very,very, very hard time pulling it out. And yes, I do squeeze the clip to release it from the plug. Any suggestions?

wiggle it side to side while plugging with a firm force.

Wiggle it so that the axis of rotation is parallel to the board or perpendicular to the board? What do you mean by plugging? Is it bad to hold on to the bunch of wires instead of the plastic part while pulling?

Make sure the clip is clearing the plastic part that holds it on, I've had that problem before. Just wiggle it every which way and pull.

I use my thumb to put pressure on the clip with my index finger on the other side for support and to grasp the plug. I then wiggle the plug end to end as I pull it from the board. Depending on the location you may want to use your other hand to support the board so it doesn't flex. Just make sure you put enough pressure on the clip with your thumb to fully release it. I use this method for most any connection in a PC.

And yes it is a bad idea to pull the wires when unplugging any kind of connection. Do this often enough and eventually your luck will run out and you will rip a wire out.

Yeah I've made sure the clip is clearing the protrusion, it's just so stuck in there really well.

So I don't have to worry about ripping or breaking off the plug from the motherboard when I wiggle it out really hard?

I have never heard of anyone pull a 24-pin power connector from the board, it's soldered on each of those pins. Like the others are saying it helps to wiggle the connector lengthwise while pulling outward from the board.

Push down with the opposite hand on an empty DIMM slot.

Pull the 24pin plastic connector straight up, it'll require a bit of force.

Ok, I got it now. My main concern was breaking the connector off the board, which restrained me from using a lot of force into it or using some wiggling motion. Thanks everyone!

good times :). just be careful not to cut your hand on anything when you pull it out! :D :p

Back