Ebay and PayPal, the only sites I *can't* access!

LobsterSan

n00b
Well, I'm living in Japan, and with that comes certain benefits. One is that I recently had fiber optics installed, and am now cruising along with a 76 Mbps max D/L speed.

However, since having the new modem and the fiber optic company's supplied router in place, I can't access eBay or PayPal. Every other site I've tried loads OK, even other so-called "secure sites". But eBay and PayPal do not.

Any suggestions as to why this may be?

I have a couple auctions coming up that I've had my eye on, so I'd really like to get this resolved ASAP.

I have Yahoobb DSL, and I have no problems with this.
Do you have the Yahoobb Hikari program, or the NTT BFLETS?
Also, please note which model router you are using.
I will try to help as much as I can.

ebayjapan does not work, nor does any other country's eBay site (ebay.ca, ebay.co.uk, etc)

FrosctCS, I really appreciate the offer.

I used to have YahooBB ADSL (which worked perfectly, albeit slowly -- I am far away from the node). The promise of speed increase is what lured me to switch (and also it's cheaper and the first 3 months are free!).

Anyhow, I am now using NTT BFlets, with SoNet as my service provider. The router that NTT provided has an NTT sticker on the side of it with kanji on it. Here is a picture:

(note to mods, this is hosted on my personal website, so it's not stealing bandwidth)
P1030538.jpg

Additionally, NTT BFlets uses VoIP for all phonecalls. The VoIP adapter connects to the router via ethernet cable. The router itself has one WAN port and 4 LAN ports (one of which must be used for the VoIP adapter).

I also have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router, which is able to connect through the NTT router. However, it seems that I *must* use the NTT router first, otherwise the data doesn't get through (ie, I cannot connect the Linksys directly to the BFlets modem and get my connection working). When I connect my computer to either the relayed Linksys *or* directly to the NTT router, the results are the same: I cannot access eBay or PayPal, I lose the connection if the computer sits idle for too long, and I also can't access my smtp outgoing mail server through Mozilla Thunderbird.

open command prompt and type
nslookup ebay.com
or ebayjapan etc

finally, do a tracert and post the stuff here

tracert ebay.jp

note, a tracert wont work if the nslookup doesnt work

if nslookup doesn't work, find another dns server and manually configure it

These are the results I got:

nslookup ebay.com
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.24.1: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.24.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: ebay.com
Address: 66.135.192.87

tracert ebay.com
Tracing route to ebay.com [66.135.192.87]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.24.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 3 ms 4 ms 3 ms gn02gi1.fkoknt01.ap.so-net.ne.jp [210.139.162.105]
4 3 ms 4 ms 3 ms gp01gi02.fkoknt01.ap.so-net.ne.jp [202.223.118.181]
5 30 ms 34 ms 32 ms note-03Vl813.net.so-net.ne.jp [210.139.163.113]
6 42 ms 35 ms 36 ms note-gw7Vl10.net.so-net.ne.jp [210.132.217.193]
7 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 202.213.194.209
8 29 ms 30 ms 29 ms ge-8-1.a14.tokyjp01.jp.ra.gin.ntt.net [61.120.145.77]
9 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms xe-4-0-0.a21.tokyjp01.jp.ra.gin.ntt.net [61.120.145.189]
10 29 ms 30 ms 29 ms xe-2-1-0.r20.tokyjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net [61.213.162.101]
11 145 ms 146 ms 145 ms p64-2-1-0.r20.mlpsca01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.41]
12 130 ms 131 ms 130 ms xe-2-1-0.r21.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.62]
13 189 ms 190 ms 189 ms equinixexchange.ir1.sanjose-ca.us.xo.net [206.223.116.85]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Your DNS setup looks a little funny but, eventually, you get the right IP out of it.

The tracert looks good - it's about the same thing I get from here in the states, where I can access ebay - somebody in xo.net is dropping ICMP packets (not too uncommon these days) before it gets to the actual host.

killa62 said:

No good. I tried it before and the direct ip doesn't work.

Additionally, a few quirks I've noticed now that I've had the connection a couple days:

* I can't connect to my smtp mail address, so I am unable to send mail using my usual e-mail client.

* Often times, websites will report unreachable on the first try, but if I tell the browser to try again, the page will load. eBay and PayPal are still completely unaccessible. They can be found, but are stuck at the "connecting" stage, then time out. Nothing actually loads on screen. The one exception is eBay.ca (Canadian ebay), which for some reason loads a couple of graphics, then gets stuck halfway.

Let me ask this: would getting a new router that can interface with an optical modem possibly do the trick? I am curious as to why my Linksys router can't directly connect to the fiberoptic modem.

LobsterSan said:
Let me ask this: would getting a new router that can interface with an optical modem possibly do the trick? I am curious as to why my Linksys router can't directly connect to the fiberoptic modem.

So, to get this straight, when you plug the modem into the Linksys Router, it can't pull an IP? Maybe you should try cloning the ISP Provided Router's IP on the Linksys's wan port?

Its worth a shot..

I would call SoNet first, make sure they have access to both first.
You shouldn't need to macclone, unless they are doing somethings differently now, I know sometimes it might take a while to reset the onu, to take another mac, but i don't beleive it's set on a static mac address.
What happens if you unplug the WAN from the router, and leave it unplugged for like say 45 minutes, then plug it directly into your computer or your router?
I am trying to think what else it might be, but I'd call SoNet first of all to get a confirmation.
Sorry it took a few days to respond, I had email subscriptions on... but for some reason it didnt turn on :-P

Back