eBay Bans Auctions of Digital Property

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that eBay has decided to ban auctions that contain digital property. The reasoning sounds a bit dodgy “multiple listings were choking the pipes” but it is probably for the best. Now where do you go to auction your digital wares?

In other words, you won't be able to get virtual gold or that pdf brochure on how to consolidate your debt like you used to. Guess I can't sell my level 70 Undead Priest that I've been working on for 11 months? tehsuXX!1

I think ebay has to worry about the scammers more then they should worry about the people selling digital property.

Gold farmers and ebay toons suck. They bring in morons and inflate the virtual economy in all MMORPGs. Props to eBay for this, and about fucking time.

Except, expect the rise of gold farming website spamming in-game. Can't win em all.

Gold farmers and ebay toons suck. They bring in morons and inflate the virtual economy in all MMORPGs. Props to eBay for this, and about fucking time.

I would really like to discuss this, but I'm going to try not to thread jack. Long story short, in lots of cases gil/gold/platnium/<insert currency here> sellers make things cheaper. When they are camping the NM that drops it, if they make sure to kill the NM as often as possible, as quickly as possible, and with as much +treasure gear as possible, then more of those items will come into being, thus increasing the supply. Also, most people who buy gil aren't very penny pinching with it, so it is easier for you to get more money for your items when that is the case.

I would really like to discuss this, but I'm going to try not to thread jack. Long story short, in lots of cases gil/gold/platnium/<insert currency here> sellers make things cheaper. When they are camping the NM that drops it, if they make sure to kill the NM as often as possible, as quickly as possible, and with as much +treasure gear as possible, then more of those items will come into being, thus increasing the supply. Also, most people who buy gil aren't very penny pinching with it, so it is easier for you to get more money for your items when that is the case.

That's the whole problem too: things are easier to get. It stops becoming a game when things are handed to you. I mean, whats the point?!

I wonder if this covers the wonderful "PS3" actions where hundreds, if not thousands of people, get taken for their money because they missed the one article of fine print that said, "this is a drawing." Can they get rid of those people, please?

I may not be one of the people who got taken but I did recently buy a PS3 and the only reason I ruled eBay out was that it was difficult to find out who was scamming and who wasn't. Which is a shame, because I wanted a 60GB or 80GB version for the backwards compatibility and it's hard to find those in B&M these days.

I remember back in the early days i got about 50 positive feedback by buying ebooks for $0.25 (same as the listing fee) with 'free' shipping (email). Buyers and sellers would just sell the ebooks for the listing fee so they break even and get a positive feedback.

This gentleman can in fact sell his level 70 priest he just needs to include the WoW CD's in the auction so that there is a physical item.

screw ebay, they get paid regardless, what do they care if someone sells ebooks or programs they have written on there?

I had fun making money off diablo 2 with my customer pindlebot while it lasted

made about 600 bucks or so! Windforce sold for 80 bucks! :D

there is already an auction site for this stuff, playerauctions.com is just for online stuff like mmo's.

if you cant earn items or gold by yourself, or even try then you SUCK!! plain and simple, and i dont wanna hear i have no time or i have a life, then well dont play a MMO which involves "investment of time"

OK, now I'm confused. If you read this ebay chatter blog (blog), they are not technically banning them, simply shifting them to classified ad listing format. Big difference.

Brian Burke, eBay's Director in Trust & Safety who manages the Feedback system, recently announced that Digital Downloadable Goods must be listed using the Classified Ad listing format effective March 31st. This policy affects items like eBooks, MP3 files, content in PDF format, recipes, etc. -- anything that is "shipped" to a customer via email or download link. These items cannot be listed any longer as auction-style or fixed price listings.

The Classified Ad format is a lead-generation tool which gives sellers an "ad" that shows up in default Search results for 30 days. Currently, the only accepted category is Everything Else > Informational Products. (To learn more, read Help: Advertising with Classified Ads.)

if you cant earn items or gold by yourself, or even try then you SUCK!! plain and simple, and i dont wanna hear i have no time or i have a life, then well dont play a MMO which involves "investment of time"

LOL

The sad part is people actually think that way.

Why spend 10 hours on monotonous grinding and farming when I can go to work for an hour, enjoy my job, by the equivalent of 10 hours of gold, and have 9 hours left over?

I find it funny that people bitch that some people expect a game to be fun and don't want to spend THOUSANDS of hours of their life being bored just to play the fun parts.

BTW: When I was done, my character sold for far more then I ever put into it, and I enjoyed every minute I played. I win, you lose.

Why spend 10 hours on monotonous grinding and farming when I can go to work for an hour, enjoy my job, by the equivalent of 10 hours of gold, and have 9 hours left over?
QFT I did it all the time back when I was playing WoW, I gladly let someone else do the boring grinding for me for a nominal fee.

QFT I did it all the time back when I was playing WoW, I gladly let someone else do the boring grinding for me for a nominal fee.

Think about it this way:

The people who buy the virtual money are actually helping to employ some poor jobless people in Third world or eastern Europe- ex soviet block nations i.e. Bulgaria, Romania. This in turn keeps those people from becoming terrorists or criminals, because they actually have a life.

As long as it does not affect the gameplay then I am all for it. Second life went as far as to hire an economist to help implement some basic rules.

If developers were smart they should include an economist on the dev team to help figure out the best way to make the game fun, but allow outside sources to farm/ level.

What I do not like seeing is Sony having it's own store in EQ 2. Although, this is within their rights, they should allow outside competition to sell items. (Yeah right, greedy bastarts Sony!)

Think about it this way:

The people who buy the virtual money are actually helping to employ some poor jobless people in Third world or eastern Europe- ex soviet block nations i.e. Bulgaria, Romania. This in turn keeps those people from becoming terrorists or criminals, because they actually have a life.

True, half the fun on wow was camping the farmers, or acting like one yourself by replying with broken english to other players who were trying to get a drop.

Back