Ebay vs AccurateIT for CRTs?

I think that is one of the higher end models -- good find.

A couple of tips when CL hunting (or at least what I've done): ask for a back history of the monitor a little. Was it used in an office? Was it used for a couple of years then put in storage for the last 5+ years? Make sure you can try it out before purchasing, try different resolutions, different refresh rates. Check lagom or any calibration sites, if there is internet access.

Check the manufacturing date on the back. If I remember right, 2000-early 2004ish may be the high point for aperature grills. Once you get to 2004-2005, I read they sort of skimped on quality. Although for a higher end model, perhaps they'll all be good.

Also don't be afraid to haggle. If the ad has been up for a while, the seller may be willing to sell for considerably less. Especially if you are there and ready to buy. If you make a lower offer, worst case is he'll say no, and then you can offer his asking price if you want.

I'll make sure of that. The ad said that the monitor was used by a scientist and was carefully maintained. I'll bring my laptop to test it out as its local pickup. The ad's been up since January 22, 2012.

Yes, good points name. Ask about its history for sure. If it was used in a business setting try to find out what kind--engineering is a no-no...a monitor that sits on the same image forever.... :(

Trying it before buying it goes without saying...never purchase a 2 square foot 50lb book end for ANY amount of $$$.

$50 would be a fairer price, I agree, unless that thing is in like pristine condition.

I spent $20 for two 22" CRTs + VGA cable a while back (although one was a piece of junk, w/ screenburn). It was just the NEC I wanted, but he made me take both. So I flipped the second one with two spare (and lousy) 17" CRTs I needed to get rid of, for $20 to a metal recycler, so it came out even.

Sold a 19" Trinitron two years ago for $35 on CL.

Just stating those numbers as $25-$50 is the more common price for these sorts of things. But... if in perfect condition, and since it's a really nice model, $100 could be deemed fair. Again, depends all on the condition and usage.

And yeah, a 50lb bookend isn't much use. Unfortunately for 22" CRTs, it's closer to a 70lb bookend.

Last edited:
$50 would be a fairer price, I agree, unless that thing is in like pristine condition.

I spent $20 for two 22" CRTs + VGA cable a while back (although one was a piece of junk, w/ screenburn). It was just the NEC I wanted, but he made me take both. So I flipped the second one with two spare (and lousy) 17" CRTs I needed to get rid of, for $20 to a metal recycler, so it came out even.

Sold a 19" Trinitron two years ago for $35 on CL.

Just stating those numbers as $25-$50 is the more common price for these sorts of things. But... if in perfect condition, and since it's a really nice model, $100 could be deemed fair. Again, depends all on the condition and usage.

And yeah, a 50lb bookend isn't much use. Unfortunately for 22" CRTs, it's closer to a 70lb bookend.

I have a FW900 in my basement , its so heavy i am regreting the fact i have to lift it up and drop it in the trash can. Probably get a hernia
trinitron tubes are so heavy its not even funny.. Thank god for OLED coming in a few years. I am sure it will be 4 years before a monitor becomes affordable .. I am sure they will squeeze every last bit of technolgy out of LED/plasma monitors before dropping the price on OLED. In fact samsung or LG is releasing a OLED this year 50" for about 5-6k

If you really are planning on just throwing your FW900 away, I suggest you donate it instead.

Go to the freecycle website for your area, put up a post (in the proper format they use) stating you plan to give it away, and I expect someone will respond. That way, you make someone happy and keep it out of a landfill. As an extra bonus you get someone to help you move it.

I had a hard enough time carrying my 22" monitor up my driveway, porch and finally to my table here. Carrying a 100lb monitor alone, up from basement, gives me a hernia just thinking about it.

i could fix the g2 levels i bought the adapter but i dont have the software or the knowledge to do it.
I really dont have time to put it on the freecycle website.

i actually got 2 FW900s for free at work.. The government has a warehouse got rid of them . They all had G2 issues and colors were all out of wack.
I dumped one in a trash can already , it made the loudest noise . Kinda funny because nothing was in the dumpster just solid metal. I tried to throw it in the air into the trash can , i barely threw it a foot over my head. It made a loud noise.. it was a relief to get rid of it, because i was moving it all around , was traveling at the time..
Owning that monitor was kinda reminded of that movie with Sarah Michelle Geller "The Grudge" It was like having a grudge demon on my back sucking the life out of me.. It was relief to get rid of it just knowing the fact i didnt have to worry about moving it again. haha

Last edited:
Well I found a post offering two 20" CRTs on Freecycle that are in an area even closer to me. It looks like an even better deal, but there are no details regarding the model numbers or any capabilities. And assuming that these are 20" screens (post said), I'm going to further assume that these are both flat and can do at least 1920x1440 @ 60 Hz.

Well I found a post offering two 20" CRTs on Freecycle that are in an area even closer to me. It looks like an even better deal, but there are no details regarding the model numbers or any capabilities. And assuming that these are 20" screens (post said), I'm going to further assume that these are both flat and can do at least 1920x1440 @ 60 Hz.

I definitely would not assume they're *really* flat or capable of high resolutions.

i wouldnt buy any CRT unless it had a trinitron tube

you should jump on this deal samsung 27" LED 229.00
http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-s27...94&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-67I09y7lvZaGMjz7WSaKdg#

Both of the big CRT's I have will do 2048x1536 at 60hz. I could never do 60 hz for long on a CRT, but it looks very nice if you aren't sensitve to the flicker.

Aperture grill (trinitron) tubes are better for color accuracy and brightness, but shadow mask tubes are more common on the free circuit. I definitely wouldn't pay much for a non-trinitron, but if it is a free pick up Via freecycle then your not really out anything by giving it a go.

A good shadow mask tube will still be better than any LCD for black levels, viewing angles, and motion blur.

Both of the big CRT's I have will do 2048x1536 at 60hz. I could never do 60 hz for long on a CRT, but it looks very nice if you aren't sensitve to the flicker.

Aperture grill (trinitron) tubes are better for color accuracy and brightness, but shadow mask tubes are more common on the free circuit. I definitely wouldn't pay much for a non-trinitron, but if it is a free pick up Via freecycle then your not really out anything by giving it a go.

A good shadow mask tube will still be better than any LCD for black levels, viewing angles, and motion blur.

Id rather go with the 27 samsung listed above for 229.00 then any Crt made.

To each their own, I suppose. I think the OP is looking for a CRT though.
Exactly. Unreal, I'm sorry, but LCD technology just doesn't cut it for me. I'll hold off to see how OLEDs are when they hit 2160p and have matured enough.

If you check the OLED soon type threads.. you will see that this has been said since 2005 about various tech's like SED, OLED. There was always something to blow lcd away "just around the corner" , shown or mentioned on paper at tradeshows like CES, etc... but its 2012 now and 120hz input TN is the only real motion improvement on a desktop monitor, and that fairly recently.
.. Advancement is crippled by profiteering/gluttony and vested interests, in displays and everything else.

Yeah, seriously. Since 2007 it's always been "it's just around the corner!"

I do wonder if this time they may actually push OLED for a simple reason -- tv sales have been flat for some time. 3D wasn't exactly the boon they were hoping for (and in my opinion, a complete waste).

So economically it may begin to make sense for them to get OLED out there, assuming they can fix some of the tecnological issues with it.

I too am hoping within 3-4 years OLED monitors are available. A decent CRT should be able to make it that far (doesn't hurt to have a backup just in case).

Yeah, it's sad to see that technology with so much potential never made it to the market. 3D is a complete waste of marketing and research & development money. Instead they should focus on making 2160p displays more affordable or advancing LCD and plasma technology further, unless they've already hit brick walls.

plasma has another 5 years left until OLED takes over.
OLED will be out as mainstream 4k monitors/tv meaning thats what most people will be buying.. LG or samsung just showed off a 50" OLED at CES but its like 6k
So yes OLED will be out and everyone will be buying them as 4k will be out soon. I.e. Blu-rays will be 4k
5 years from now all the movie studios will be converting movies once again, blu-rays you own now will be like the dvd quality vs 4k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1O_lPbnfiY&feature=related

LED/LCD /PLASMA wont be around as the best TV in 3 years. They will milk plasma/LED tech until 4k blu-rays come out and people will buy it. Probably wont see a good OLED computer monitor for 4-5 years. Plus games are rarely played over 1920x1200.. So until games and consoles need 2160p or even 1440p i doubt we will see a good oled pc monitor

Viewing distance is questionable on 4k , but the aspect ratio could be nice for movies. Current non oled 4k screens are VA LCD for the blacklevels I believe. Generally TV's make poor computer monitors for various reasons, not the least being oversized at a desk. A Quad Full HD 60hz ips is supposed to be around the corner at around 27" 166ppi 3840x2160 16:9 also.

Reposting some borrowed charts just fyi...

4K-digital-film-standards.png
aspect-ratios_2.jpg

resolution_view-distances-chart.jpg

looks awesome cant wait.
Finally upgrade my NECs , i am quite satified with them though until something like this comes out.
I want 1920x1200 or 2500x at 120hz IPS

sounds like it will be a loooooooooooong time before OLED computer monitors are the normal standard

here is a good monitor on sale id go with something like this for 100 bucks more for the OP

27" Planar PX2710MW TN Panel 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor $210 or $204 + Free Shipping

Buy Now ►
Dell Home has 27" Planar PX2710MW TN Panel 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor (w/ 3-year warranty) for $209.99 (or $204 w/ DPA). Shipping is free. Thanks nwse

Specs:
Resolution: 1920x1080 (1080p)
Response time: 2ms
Contrast ratio: 1200:1
Image Aspect: 16:9
Viewing Angles: 170 H/160 V
Inputs
1x HDMI
1x DVI-D
1x VGA
If paying with Dell Preferred Account (DPA) you may save an extra 3%, here is how:
During checkout, select Credit Card as method of payment
Click "Change Payment Type"
Click "Choose" link under Credit/Debit Card (again)
Under "Save 3% with Dell Preferred Account! (Discount applied at Final Checkout" click "Click Here to Take Advantage of this offer" link
Click "Choose" under "I already have a Dell Preferred Account" if you have one, or sign up for a new one if you don't
Checkout, enjoy your 3% savings

Its on slickdeals.com

Last edited:
Well guys I bought a CRT monitor locally off of Craigslist. It's a Philips 109B2, it only cost $15, and it does 1080p :D. I did an EDID hack so I could trick Windows into thinking the display can natively run 1080p (even though it can, the stupid EDID screws distorts games in 1080p, if I disable it in CCC it does the same thing, and I wasn't going to risk modding my DVI-to-VGA adapter). However, I ran into a scaling problem. Part of the left and right side are cut off (and it can't be fixed with by changing the vertical and horizontal size/position in the monitors OSD, I already tried that and confirmed that it's an issue with Windows's scaling). I tried to resize it with AMD's scaling option, but they were barely any help. Are there any scaling applications out there for Windows?

Last edited:
Back