EDAA

no2censorship

Limp Gawd
what games have you been able to get working with 24x edaa? what games have you been unable to get it working with?

I know there are a lot of radeon hd 2/3/4k series users everywhere, so a lot of answers would be nice=]

You'd get more responses, but I'm afraid nobody uses EDAA. It's a performance hog, and it blurs the entire scene.

I actually stick with straight-up 8xAA BOX on my 4850. You see almost zero jaggies, and the performance is impressive.

I dont think 24x AA blurs the image, the lower modes do however. I know it works with vegas 2, at spots the drop is pretty bad. TF2 also works, and I believe BF2 does as well. Most older games like jedi knight work flawlessly.

You'd get more responses, but I'm afraid nobody uses EDAA. It's a performance hog, and it blurs the entire scene.

I actually stick with straight-up 8xAA BOX on my 4850. You see almost zero jaggies, and the performance is impressive.

Sorry, but that is totally false.

Edge-detect AA was created for the very reason that it doesn't do those things.

As shown here, in the HardOCP article that explains about the AA mode

The Radeon HD 4800 series (Radeon HD 4850 and 4870 video cards) launched with a new image quality feature to improve antialiasing using an Edge-detect filter that does not tax memory bandwidth. This new Edge-detect filter flies under the banner of the “Custom Filtering.”

The new Radeon HD 4800 series has a new filter, called “Edge-detect.” Thankfully, Edge-detect is nothing like Narrow or Wide-Tent, and actually improves image quality.

The filter uses an edge detect algorithm that delivers 12X and 24X CFAA modes with the same memory footprint as 4X AA and 8X AA respectively. This new filter does not cause blurring like Narrow-Tent and Wide-Tent do. This new filter also fully works when Adaptive AA (the transparency AA mode of the 4800 series) is enabled.

Sorry, but that is totally false.

Edge-detect AA was created for the very reason that it doesn't do those things.

As shown here, in the HardOCP article that explains about the AA mode

Yes, you're correct about the blurring being the old tent filters. My mistake.

But my performance comment still stands. I've tried it before in Oblivion, and the performance with 24x enabled was worse than 8xAA Box with AdaptiveAA enabled. The AdaptiveAA made a lot more difference than 24x did - even in cases where I spotted aliasing in the 8x, I still saw the same aliasing with 24x.

You can imagine, with as many trees as Oblivion has, that the AdaptiveAA algorithm was doing a ton of work. And yet, it still was playable, whereas 24x AA was not.

You can use your judgement here, games that rely heavily on shader processing power, will likely tank its average fps with Edge Detect. That's pretty much any recent game released in the last few years unfortunately.

It really bogs down the performance in every game i've tried it out on. Crossfire HD 4850's and its tanked on everything from World of Warcraft to Fallout 3. It might work on something much older, but those graphics don't seem to be designed to be looked at as much as the newer content. I am refering to post doom 3.

The picture sure is clear, but the FPS tanks everytime.

I read through the hard ocp write up on edaa and figured i'd give it a shot and found the fps to be nearly unplayable in any game I was interested in. That being said if it did work great for one game it won't work for the rest of them and you'll be flipping settings inside of the ccc which is no fun. After a month or so playing with all of the settings I gave up and went back to box. It simply worked for every game where as edaa failed for almost every game.

Back