Edifier S330D digital pc speakers

I'm selling my z-5500's for a good 2.1 set. My budget is $240 and can go a bit higher IF absolutely necessary.

I'm leaning towards the edifiers + Xonar DX. good choice? Should I get something cheaper like the HT omega striker that comes with more inputs and digital wire? or is the analog on the xonar gonna sound better than the internal dac of the edifier?
haha i am in the same situation as you. using z-5500 with my onboard realtek. going to sell and get a 2.1 setup and a nice soundcard. just not sure what to choose atm

so i might be picking up the harman kardon soundsticks II for 85 bucks this afternoon. Can someone tell me whether or not the sound quality diff on the edifiers will be worth the extra 60 bucks?

haha i am in the same situation as you. using z-5500 with my onboard realtek. going to sell and get a 2.1 setup and a nice soundcard. just not sure what to choose atm

Lots of good things are said about the Edifiers. Good to get, especially if you're in Canada.

I'm using realtek too. I can get a soundcard + the edifiers for the price I'm selling these speakers for :).

Just gotta figure out if theres any better speakers in that price range/better sound card.

Absolutely loving my S330D's, but does anyone else have a problem with optical input getting channels reversed? Analog works great, but using SPDIF optical or coax results in the left/right getting swapped. I already RMA'd the first set and the second does the same thing. I tried three different soundcards on two systems, it's the same. Waiting to hear back from Edifier on this.

lawless2142, you are right. I never noticed that the signals were reversed until I played the realtek audio manager for my onboard sound. I am using onboard sound, my gigabyte mobo has SPDIF out, so I am using the optical out.

I swapped the wires on the sub woofer and it is fine now. Either swap the wires or swap the speakers. I am sure it's a design error.

So the L and R are wrong on the Sub Woofer. They should be reversed. I bet it was a typo on the design scheme and then it was mass produced like that. ha.

edit: chewey, they restock within a few days. I also decided to order and they were out of stock. I signed up for the email notification but I never received an email , I just checked the site daily.

FYI just an update, had to RMA a set of these S330D. it appears the volume via left analog audio was having problems. My volume would at times be 10% of the right speaker and the audio that did come out was terribly crackley. i swapped left and right speakers to see if it was really the speakers and the problem persisted only on the left side.

wonder if anyone else has had this type of issue where sound only comes from one side?

Guess will wait and see and NCIX handles rma's from their clients... ...

But crap on a cracker these things are fucking dope! I can't even turn the dial up past halfway without feeling like it's too loud. I listen to a lot of electronic/techno/house, so it's great to finally hear the lows vibrate me just like in a club. On the midrange/high the jazz and latin stuff sounds soo sweet, it's pulling out other subtle sounds i wasn't even hearing before.

Sweet, I listen to a lot of trance/electro and am looking for that same club feeling hehe. Can the bass get nice and loud if needed?

FYI just an update, had to RMA a set of these S330D. it appears the volume via left analog audio was having problems. My volume would at times be 10% of the right speaker and the audio that did come out was terribly crackley. i swapped left and right speakers to see if it was really the speakers and the problem persisted only on the left side.

wonder if anyone else has had this type of issue where sound only comes from one side?

Guess will wait and see and NCIX handles rma's from their clients... ...

Sounds like a "cold" solder joint in the feedback loop for the op-amp, or on the volume potentiometer. Or a few other electrical defects like that. Sorry you got a bad one, I hope NCIX behaves!

/\ /\
the 2nd they sent me was defective too! same damn problem
I'm waiting for my 3rd one now :confused:

I took the liberty to open up the sub/amp. Jesus this thing was really made in CHINA :eek: I have never seen such sloppy electrical work before and i can understand why my shaattt don't work right. The electronics and soldering reminds me of damn sheet metal shacks held up like a stack of cards with doo-doo holding it all together. Most unfortunate cuz these edifiers are damn beautiful from the outside though.

can someone chime in here to help this old dawg out? :D

as of now i am running both of my speakers off of the right analog audio out in parallel. so both of my speakers should be getting their RMS 18 watts right?

also does anybody know if each channel has a watt/power limit feed? i ask this because if i'm running my wires "parallel" off of the right audio out, are each of my speakers really getting their full wattage/power?

also does anybody know if running "parallel" like this causes signal degradation/drawbacks?

thanks again to all ya'all (its been like decade since i even messed with sounds)

wow thats discouraging :( Was there any real issue in getting a replacement? or was it simple n straightforwards

uh oh.

Might have to take this one off the list. Not recommending crappy build quality even if it is better than the other pc speakers.

Sorry for the trouble.

Wait, HOW are you sourcing these? Off of one channel from your sound card? Huh? It's early so maybe my mind is still on vacation but wtf? Please explain how you are hooking them up.

-spaceman

I originally just ran these edifiers straight off my mobo audio out. Thats as simple as you can get! for some reason either the left audio input or left audio output is where the problem is at. At first sound was coming out fine from the left channel and then it would just cut out and ocassionaly come back on for brief periods and then mostly off the rest of the time. It must be some prodution line defect because now i have gone through two sets of these with the same problem, unreal i tell ya! So as of now just running both speakers in "parallel wiring" from right channel on the sub. its working ok, but it seams that the audio has a twee-bit of static in it with this parallel wiring setup. That is why earlier i asked if running speakers in parallel can degrade an audio signal.

i even thought about getting a sound card and testing the digital input, but haven't got around to getting an optical/dig sound card yet

btw, when i opened up the sub/amp unit they use some crap like "JB" weld and literally dump over the pcb, i mean all over electronics, little resistors, etc. I don't even think "GOD" could fix this, its terrible. This "JB weld" is a one time deal, ain't nobody gonna be doing fixing with this stuff on

maybe someone else could carefully open up their edifier/amp and validate this.

anyhow, 3rd times a charm, just waiting on ncix
(guess what could i expect for a $100 2.1 system :( back to the drawing board again

So as of now just running both speakers in "parallel wiring" from right channel on the sub.

I don't quite follow.

btw, when i opened up the sub/amp unit they use some crap like "JB" weld and literally dump over the pcb, i mean all over electronics, little resistors, etc. I don't even think "GOD" could fix this, its terrible. This "JB weld" is a one time deal, ain't nobody gonna be doing fixing with this stuff on

Epoxied electronics are used occasionally. Well, NASA uses them all the time. It mainly does two things: it keeps you from seeing the circuit, and it makes the circuit somewhat more robust. In particular it can smooth the frequency response of capacitors. So it's mostly a positive thing, sort of.

ashmedai-

i'm feeding signal and power to both left and right speaker from the right channel output on the sub in a parallel wiring configuration where power/wattage to each speaker is still at 18 watts RMS. in a series wire config, the power/watts would be shared between the two speakers, thus resulting in 9 watts to each speaker.

This epoxied junk is splatted on there like doo-doo droppings everywhere, my 2 yr son could prolly do better. and if there is a loose solder or joint, its gonna stay loose for life with this epoxy.

i don't want to discourage other at these edifiers, cuz so far others are just fine and great. Looking at these S330D's are damn sexy and that volume control is pimp! If only they worked for me,it would be perfect! Don't know how the heck i struck out twice though.. ... ncix gotta pull through 3rd time round. (pray)

just an fyi to all, there are stickers on the bottom of the sub/amp unit, do not remove any of these as these are serial numbers that matched the box they came in

anyhow, i'm back to the drawing board, guess gotta up the budget some ;)

Ah, you have two sats running in mono off the right channel? I think you normally want to do that with the left channel and modify your software settings appropriately, should it come up again.

Pics of the interior would be fun. But it's not intended to be user serviceable (or even serviceable), so lack of access isn't an issue from their perspective.

Left channel is not working. this is where the problem is at. software? i'm not running any software, its just straight onboard audio out from my computer

i know the interior is not intended to be serviceable, why should the consumer even have to mess with it, but if it ain't workin, something has to be done (return or fix it). back to my orig comment the interior of the sub/amp is "slapped together 3rd world style and very sloppy"

about pics on the inside, sub is back together again. and everything to be packed and rma'd this week.

also i apologize for my posts if they are a little off topic from this orig thread :)

Ah, you have two sats running in mono off the right channel? I think you normally want to do that with the left channel and modify your software settings appropriately, should it come up again.

Pics of the interior would be fun. But it's not intended to be user serviceable (or even serviceable), so lack of access isn't an issue from their perspective.

Hm, I just got these today from NCIX. Running them off digital coax off my laptop, only issue so far is that the L/R speaker outputs are switched, no big deal really.

Besides that, these speakers are sweet. The build quality (external) is excellent. The speakers looks great, and the glossy coating is perfect. The subwoofer doesn't put out as much bass as I hoped, but I haven't turned up the main volume above maybe 20% yet (subwoofer volume is close to max). These are a very nice improvement over my old crappy Logitech X-530s, I can really tell the difference, especially in the mids as people have been complaining about. No idea how I was able to tolerate the logitechs after listening to these heh.

I can hear a lot more 'detail' through these, something I noticed when I listen to music through my earbuds (Shure SCL2). They were 110 shipped, so the price isn't too bad. I have very little desk real estate in my dorm, so these are the perfect size. A pair of monitors would be nice, but then my desk would be gone lol.

Hm, I just got these today from NCIX. Running them off digital coax off my laptop, only issue so far is that the L/R speaker outputs are switched, no big deal really.

Besides that, these speakers are sweet. The build quality (external) is excellent. The speakers looks great, and the glossy coating is perfect. The subwoofer doesn't put out as much bass as I hoped, but I haven't turned up the main volume above maybe 20% yet (subwoofer volume is close to max). These are a very nice improvement over my old crappy Logitech X-530s, I can really tell the difference, especially in the mids as people have been complaining about. No idea how I was able to tolerate the logitechs after listening to these heh.

I can hear a lot more 'detail' through these, something I noticed when I listen to music through my earbuds (Shure SCL2). They were 110 shipped, so the price isn't too bad. I have very little desk real estate in my dorm, so these are the perfect size. A pair of monitors would be nice, but then my desk would be gone lol.

Yea I really want to get a pair of monitors and a nice sub, but problem is Canada doesn't really have any good cheap subs (around $200), so I'm kinda screwed on that part... I might start considering these again, but I REALLY want monitors! :( Maybe I'll be able to find something near me that is used and is a good deal.

Anyway, would it be possible for you to turn the volume up a bit and tell us how the sub sounds? Thanks.

I'll do that tomorrow when I get back to school. I had the speakers shipped home; don't want to turn up the volume too much here cuz my parents won't like it :p

In case anyone wants, here are some pics I took quickly of the speakers :) The glossy coating on the speakers is on all sides, even the front; it just doesn't turn out too well in the pictures.

UPDATE 11/1/2008

I have gone through 3 of these S330D! and they all have had the same exact problem. I just received a new S330D after a recent rma (again). The same inherent problem is the LEFT AUDIO IN (analog) on the sub does not work correctly if not at all. ALL 3 of these S330D's have this problem and i got all 3 of them from ncix.

There must be a manufacturer defect because the LEFT AUDIO IN (analog) on the sub doen't give any signal/sound to the left speaker and when and if it does the sound is just for a few secs and cuts off. I found if i input the audio signal on the volume remote everything works perfect! it was the same scenario on all 3 S330D's i went through.

i never tried to see if this problem occurs if i use the digital inputs, so i wonder how you digital folks are doing?

and has anyone else had this no left auido problem?

don't get me wrong i love this 2.1 setup but this audio issue is a bitch to deal with unless you go through the volume remote or possibly digital inputs. just thought i share this with everyone

Yeah, the only issue I have with digital input is that the L/R outputs are switched, so you just have to move the speakers around. I agree though, the internal build quality seems quite iffy. Oh well, I still like the sound and the issues aren't too grave.

I'll try using the analog in and see if I have the same issue you do.

/\ /\

thanks cesium666, try and check to see if the analog fails you like me, just let the sound play for awhile and check it out

UPDATE 11/1/2008

I have gone through 3 of these S330D! and they all have had the same exact problem. I just received a new S330D after a recent rma (again). The same inherent problem is the LEFT AUDIO IN (analog) on the sub does not work correctly if not at all. ALL 3 of these S330D's have this problem and i got all 3 of them from ncix.

There must be a manufacturer defect because the LEFT AUDIO IN (analog) on the sub doen't give any signal/sound to the left speaker and when and if it does the sound is just for a few secs and cuts off. I found if i input the audio signal on the volume remote everything works perfect! it was the same scenario on all 3 S330D's i went through.

i never tried to see if this problem occurs if i use the digital inputs, so i wonder how you digital folks are doing?

and has anyone else had this no left auido problem?

don't get me wrong i love this 2.1 setup but this audio issue is a bitch to deal with unless you go through the volume remote or possibly digital inputs. just thought i share this with everyone

This is why they are not recommended anymore. Quality control issues. They look and sound good but the interior work looks amazingly bad. If you can solder, there is no question that you can fix this though.

Does anyone know were I could by the S330D's?

They don't show in stock anywhere.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that your not alone.

I got my Edifier S330D set today, and guess what. I have the same left right swapped on digital input issue as well. Which not only makes me skeptical about the brand in general after reading this forum but also make the speakers unusable for me when using my headset and xbox connected digitally.

I also have a cosmetic issue with the remote, there are two small holes/scratches in the surface of the aluminium dial.

Oh, I did so many hours of research before I decided to buy. But using google to search for "edifier s330d review" certainly didn't lead me to this forum. Now a little too late "edifier s330d left right swapped" did though. How ironic.

Btw, the speakers I want to replace is the logitech z4's. Actually I think it is difficult to decide if these edifier's sound better or just different.

I like my logitech z4's and still do, but I thought it was time to try something new and the edifier's seemed too look a little better, got decent reviews (the few I found), had digital input and hey they was more expensive.

/Mads

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that your not alone.

I got my Edifier S330D set today, and guess what. I have the same left right swapped on digital input issue as well. Which not only makes me skeptical about the brand in general after reading this forum but also make the speakers unusable for me when using my headset and xbox connected digitally.

I also have a cosmetic issue with the remote, there are two small holes/scratches in the surface of the aluminium dial.

Oh, I did so many hours of research before I decided to buy. But using google to search for "edifier s330d review" certainly didn't lead me to this forum. Now a little too late "edifier s330d left right swapped" did though. How ironic.

Btw, the speakers I want to replace is the logitech z4's. Actually I think it is difficult to decide if these edifier's sound better or just different.

I like my logitech z4's and still do, but I thought it was time to try something new and the edifier's seemed too look a little better, got decent reviews (the few I found), had digital input and hey they was more expensive.

/Mads

How come the speakers are useless for you now? Can't you just swap places for the left/right speakers? :p

How are these for just music? I just received a pair of Swan M200MKII's and am blown away, so I was wondering how the competition fares. Although I am aware these compete more with the M10's.

I don't know if I can ever take a speaker with 2" drivers seriously again.

How come the speakers are useless for you now? Can't you just swap places for the left/right speakers? :p

There is nothing to swap, the digital connection is a single cord and the headset is one way only by design.

I don't get it spaceman, you trash all klipsch computer speakers,then you say these are great! :p
I thought you didn't like small satellite speakers!

There is nothing to swap, the digital connection is a single cord and the headset is one way only by design.

That's odd. I use headphones often with mine (with digital input from my laptop) and the channels are correct :eek: I did switch the outputs for the speakers tho.

I don't get it spaceman, you trash all klipsch computer speakers,then you say these are great! :p
I thought you didn't like small satellite speakers!

Um yeah, well guess what? People still wanted a cheap 2.1. I withdrew my recommendation when the first quality issues turned up.

My recommendation , to a Canadian, was I don't know what kind of quality these are but they are available in Canada and cheap so if you HAVE to have 2.1 and this cheap.......

Anyway, not going to recommend anything I haven't actually seen/heard again.

Oh I'm sorry. I missed the fact that you were saying your headphones had the wrong channels. I thought the speakers were, in which case you could just swap places. My bad. :p

Um yeah, well guess what? People still wanted a cheap 2.1. I withdrew my recommendation when the first quality issues turned up.

My recommendation , to a Canadian, was I don't know what kind of quality these are but they are available in Canada and cheap so if you HAVE to have 2.1 and this cheap.......

Anyway, not going to recommend anything I haven't actually seen/heard again.

Spaceman, it might be a good idea to just edit your first post saying that you withdrew your recommendation because of quality control issues. A lot of people look at you for recommendations, so it might help them not get a bad quality product. :p

Nope. Truth is truth. I made a mistake. True, it was b/c the op wasn't going for anything else and limited to Canada but still my mistake in hindsight.

I'm a man. I make mistakes. Just not very often lol.

Back