EGM Dead, 1UP goes through layoffs

The only magazine I ever gave a shit about was FHM and Next Generation

MAYBE Maximum PC but that's only for toilet reading. I'd read the other two whenever possible.

goddamit! Okay first it was games for Windows. They got shutdown and so EGM took over the rest of the subscription(very nice of them) and dammit if EGM didn't go under.

What am I gonna thumb through now?!

This really is sad. I'm not going to dive into how the print media is not dead, but certainly dying.

*Sigh*

Up until the present incarnations of EGM, I have always loved and enjoyed the magazine. They had lengthy articles and wonderful scopes that many other competitive magazines couldn't get. My favorite issue that comes to mind is the MKII reveal where the newer characters where the cover shot (Baraka, Melinna, Katana, Kung Lao, and Shang Sung). The newer magazine is really a sliver of what it used to be. While the older issues used to be on average a few hundred pages, the new prints are just about one hundred or so. I do commend them on getting great interviews with the industries top devs in these later issues though. It’s always hard to swim upstream though. Long gone are Game Pro, Game Fan, NeXT, and others that mattered. The public is less inclined to get their information from a magazine and more about using an online source. For me, information has become too ‘instant’ and too much about gratification than enjoying the experience of waiting for info or thumbing through a magazine. I must say adieu to the editors at EGM. Thanks for helping to deliver a great experience through such a simple medium….

goddamit! Okay first it was games for Windows. They got shutdown and so EGM took over the rest of the subscription(very nice of them) and dammit if EGM didn't go under.

What am I gonna thumb through now?!

Game Informer

It does suck when anyone loses their job, however, as someone with both a subscription to Game Informer and EGM I can honestly say Game Informer has been far superior with more information and less advertisement than EGM in the recent past.

This really is sad. I'm not going to dive into how the print media is not dead, but certainly dying.

*Sigh*

Up until the present incarnations of EGM, I have always loved and enjoyed the magazine. They had lengthy articles and wonderful scopes that many other competitive magazines couldn't get. My favorite issue that comes to mind is the MKII reveal where the newer characters where the cover shot (Baraka, Melinna, Katana, Kung Lao, and Shang Sung). The newer magazine is really a sliver of what it used to be. While the older issues used to be on average a few hundred pages, the new prints are just about one hundred or so. I do commend them on getting great interviews with the industries top devs in these later issues though. It’s always hard to swim upstream though. Long gone are Game Pro, Game Fan, NeXT, and others that mattered. The public is less inclined to get their information from a magazine and more about using an online source. For me, information has become too ‘instant’ and too much about gratification than enjoying the experience of waiting for info or thumbing through a magazine. I must say adieu to the editors at EGM. Thanks for helping to deliver a great experience through such a simple medium….
To be fair, the 250+ page issues were literally 40% advertisements (I remember counting 17 pages in a ROW of ads in one issue). Then it went down to 100+ pages, but 10% ads...then it actually went below 100 pages for a few issues and went back up to like 30-40% ads. That's when I stopped caring completely.

I miss SF2 on every cover, and 300-page issues that had tons of actual content...oh well. The only other mag I loved was Next Generation...THEY were the truth to me. I really miss them.

I'm more sad to see the podcasts go. Those guys have some of the best insight on the gaming industry - and those podcasts help get me through a boring week at work.

While I appreciate the people that worked on EGM, I can't say I've read an actual issue in years.

Print media as a whole is in serious trouble so nothing like this surprises me. I sorely miss Next Generation magazine as well.

I grew up with EGM, although the SF4 issue's the only one I've honestly read in nearly a decade.
Pretty sad.
I remember the first non-company specific games magazine being Video Games & Computer Entertainment. I think they eventually became Next Generation, or at least their staff seems to have gone there.
I used to really like Diehard Gamefan. Granted they were pretty much shills for their own mail-order business, I still really liked their insights into things. They also had the best strategy guides EVER.

I was a die hard EGM kid. I subscribed from late 1989 to 1995.

Sheng Long code FTW!

I remember the first non-company specific games magazine being Video Games & Computer Entertainment. I think they eventually became Next Generation, or at least their staff seems to have gone there.

They were the all time best overall IMO. I still miss them.

I was a die hard EGM kid. I subscribed from late 1989 to 1995.

Sheng Long code FTW!

Funny thing is, EGM is one of the reasons Sheng Long is in SFIV. They had created such a legend around the character being in SFII that Capcom opted to put him in for real.

PC Accelerator

Covering all the games I cared about and boobs/carnage on every page. What more could a 13 year old want?

I grew up with EGM, although the SF4 issue's the only one I've honestly read in nearly a decade.
Pretty sad.
I used to really like Diehard Gamefan. Granted they were pretty much shills for their own mail-order business, I still really liked their insights into things. They also had the best strategy guides EVER.

Oh man VG&CE was awesome too. I used to pick that up when we went to Reno grocery shopping.

The original page:

ShengLongEGMScan.jpg

Man that brings back memories.

Not going to miss them. I have been digging Play since 2000 as long as they are still around I'm good.

It does suck when anyone loses their job, however, as someone with both a subscription to Game Informer and EGM I can honestly say Game Informer has been far superior with more information and less advertisement than EGM in the recent past.

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me

I grew up with Computer Gaming World. I once sent an mail (A REAL MAIL) to Scorpion (I think) to ask for cheat code for Ultima 6.

Man, I am old....

EGM is a classic, never forgotten. But that was popular and at it's best in the 90's. Rip.

FYI...

EGM 2 became Next Gen, which then became GameNow... And then died and some of the guys went back to EGM...

Or at least a few of the staff went to those other magazines...

I got a free subscription to EGM about a year ago, and I considered cancelling it so I had less trash to through away. They don't even mention that the cross platform games are on PC too. Their reviews say "Call of Duty on XBox (Also PS3)" but don't even mention the PC versions.

I got a free subscription to EGM about a year ago, and I considered cancelling it so I had less trash to through away. They don't even mention that the cross platform games are on PC too. Their reviews say "Call of Duty on XBox (Also PS3)" but don't even mention the PC versions.
That's kind of why they had PC Gamer.

I grew up with Computer Gaming World. I once sent an mail (A REAL MAIL) to Scorpion (I think) to ask for cheat code for Ultima 6.

Man, I am old....

I got one of my SF2 envelopes published in EGM. Bad ass I tell you.

I remember reading my dads Antic, Byte and STart magazines with zeal every month.

I haven't cared about EGM since the 16 bit era.

I was the same til my Games for Windows subscription got replaced by EGM. Even then I didn't care for it. It was too bland and felt out of touch for some reason. I still laugh at the fact that EGM seemed to have more pc ads from dell or cyberpower than most computer mags had.

I remember when EGM actually did reviews for upcoming arcade releases. I always enjoyed their game reviews with 3 or 4 different writers and the editor involved. I distinctly remember reading with excitement their review of street fighter 2 and how it got several "perfect" scores.

I have the mortal kombat II magazine with a bazillion pages packed up in a closet somewhere.

EGM used to be really good. Back before the internet really became a serious medium, they pretty much broke every major gaming story out there. It's only been in the last 10 or so years that you had online sources breaking stories in real time.
I haven't seen many recent issues, but I think their demise is partially because the print medium as a whole is starting to fade out.

Does anyone remember the heyday of PC Gamer? Coconut Monkey, Demo Discs, and reliable reviews by competent writers.

Ah man...those were the good old days.

These days, they are commercialized suck. I canceled my subscription about 1998 :D

MaximumPC just hasn't been worth a whole lot overall to me since that one reviewer passed on several years ago. Gordon is ok but his articles are to short and the magazine just isn't that "fun" to read anymore. I remember when Boot/Maximum PC had the Saint column and Halfhill and the other guy had more than a small strip to write in.

CPU has been my PC based mag for a while. Game Informer for games (I had a GFW->EGM sub too)

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but we're going to see much more of this in the coming years.

A large portion of these media related companies will be gone by 2011 IMO.

Back