Eizo Foris FS2333

What is causing this variation? AFAIK contrast ratio is just measuring the difference relative from darkest black to brightest white right? So if the BLB is bad, or you measure a high black point, the contrast ratio will be bad anyway right?

Is this more of a QC problem manifesting as bad contrast ratio? Or is there a difference with the actual panel?

After few days of using it: the Smart Insight is a gimmick, that best is turned off. If it's turned on, then the brightness goes out through the roof, no matter on the setting. Maybe in competitive gaming, when you want to see your enemies it works, but in normal gaming, it just is not for me.

The texture sharpening also is kind of meh - yes, it sharpens the background stuff, but it just doesn't look good.

When I'm working on desktop and in documents, I prefer to turn the Eco Mode on -it kills the brightness and brings white to gray levels, but writing and editing stuff in Word or my work's CMS is a breeze for eyes. When I game, I set it on RGB and turn ECO mode off, while keeping brightness at 50.

Generally, that thing over my old TN is like night and day. There is no ghosting, no lag. I like that panel very much, and my only gripe is that there is no 1440p 27" version

I'm upgrading my display from my old 24inch LG TN and I wanted to got IPS now, in my country this monitor costs 340€ and a Asus VG23AH costs around 280€ and a Dell U2412 around the same. Which of these you guys think is better? Is the Eizo worth the extra cost over the other ones? Thanks

Got 2/3 of my Foris FS2333, and thought I'd come here and write a quick little review for everyone.

My recent monitor experiences (things I have to compare against) are the following:
- Dell U2410
-Samsung S27A950D
-Samsung S27A750
-Dell U3011
-BenQ GW2750HM

Having used all of these monitors, I have a moderate amount of experience with grainy IPS panels, PVA panels, and 120Hz Glossy TN panels. I also don't have my calibrator at the moment, so a lot of this was done by eye, but the review will focus on how the monitor did for gaming.

First off the Foris FS2333 uses an AG coating that is NOTHING like the U2410 or U3011. It is very soft, no noticeable grain when the display is on, and whites are left looking crisp as opposed to dirty. While I haven't used any of the semi-glossy panels coming out lately, I can say that coming from the S27A750 which is 100% glossy, I was very pleased to not have intense reflections on the screen, and to not see any grain or dirt like I had on the Dell models.

Colour reproduction out the box isn't too bad at all, but the monitors comes defaulted onto the "Eco" setting, which was automatically adjusting my brightness a bit to dramatically. Switching it to the "User1" preset the colours are very good with no saturation, banding or dithering, the only thing I had to adjust straight away was the brightness. I turned it down to about 55% which is ~120cdm. Though uncalibrated, I was already very happy with the results, and uniformity across both screen was terrific. (NOTE: I didn't enable any saturation or any other SmartFunctions like PRAD.de did in their review)

On to the gaming. The Foris FS2333 is designed to appeal to gamers that want top notch performance, and also want IPS viewing angles and colours. While the 23" may be too small for some as a hardcore gamer, I honestly believe it to the be the perfect size, especially for competitive gaming. The FS2333's come with the "Overdrive" set to Standard by default, and I suggest this is where you leave it. Ghosting is VERY minimal, and I didn't notice any artifacting while gaming. Coming from 120Hz TN to a 60Hz IPS, I was very apprehensive about the change but I can promise you, wether you are a hardcore gamer or casual gamer the FS2333 has no worries in providing a stunningly smooth gaming experience. The FS2333 has one of the lowest input lags measured on a TFT panel, and the panel response time is insanely fast too. I didn't notice a difference going from my S27A750 to FS2333 in terms of smoothness or ghosting, the FS2333 seriously shines here and I can't stress enough that if even if you've had a 120Hz monitor, the FS2333 will satisfy you.

When I get my calibrator back I'll write up a proper review with some accurate numbers on calibration, contrast ratios and such, but for now all I can say is I'm VERY impressed. If you were on the fence about these, it's time to leap in and enjoy yourself.

I've been using my three FS2333 for a while now and these are still one of my favorite models out there. As I said in my last post when I measured with the colorimiter all my three displays became almost perfect when I use User1 and only change blue gain (as they call it for some reason) from 100 to 87. The contrast on the three displays is about 900-920:1 on all three, so a tiny bit better than my Apple Cinema Display 27 which measures at 890:1.

The remote is very nice to have as it has brightness up/down buttons so I can change the backlight without having to go into the menus. The only negative with them is the foot which puts the monitors too low. I had to stack them on books in order to get them to proper eye level, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for this great color performance and AG. You really don't see any sparkling or dirt in bright gradients unless you have a completely glossy display right next to it for comparison.

I'm still torn apart between this monitor and a 27 inch monitor like the Asus PB278Q. I'm sitting at approximately one meter from my monitor.

At 1m you would probably be best suited with a 27" screen, but not sure if the resolution will be so high you can't make out anything :p

Don't forget the PLS Viewsonic or the HP 2740 either!

The Samsung can have backlight bleed *ANY panel can have this, but in the past this screen has been particularly bad generally for bleed*.

The Dell has "cross hatching" because of the anti-glare coating.

The Asus uses PWM for backlight brightness control and thus some people see the screen flickering at lower brightness levels.

The Viewsonic seems to be much better than the Dell for anti-glare coating and doesn't use PWM for the backlight. It is also more expensive.

The HP is generally great, but has no scaler, or OSD, you can change the brightness but nothing more. It would probably be OK for you, but it is a lot more limited than the others :)

It seems the Samsung is the 2nd best to the Viewsonic, chances are you would get one with minimal bleeding, if this is not the case then you can swap it out for a better one. However, the Dell will always have the cross hatch, and the PWM is always there on the Asus. The HP will always not have an OSD.

Of course you may well not even notice the flickering of the PWM in the first place. Best bet really is to order from somewhere you can return and get whichever you want, if the known faults with the screen annoy you, then get a different one. If they don't, keep it.

You have to bear in mind the Viewsonic, Samsung and Asus all use the same panel, just with different electronics, the Dell uses an IPS panel.

Hope that helped you a bit :)

EDIT: The Dell I was talking about is the U2713HM, not the 2711, the 2711 is wide gamut, and is known to have worse input lag than the latest screens. It also has aggressive anti-glare coating :)

Don't forget the PLS Viewsonic or the HP 2740 either!

Both are much more expensive (650-750€ vs 500-550€) and the Viewsonic isn't even available on on most amazon sites. Amazon being the seller with the best return policy that's kind of a bummer. I was more attracted by the U2711 than by the U2713 since I'm not a hardcore gamer. I have a pretty average TN Medion 22'' so I think it probably also uses PWM and I don't notice any flicker. So I'm all out for image quality and I don't really want to go over 550-600€ so which one's the best?

In your case then I would probably get the Samsung! It will above all, be a really good starting place, if you find that the backlight bleed is horrible, or you don't like it. But I am fairly sure you would like it :)

And which do you think I should get? The Asus, the Samsung 850D or a Dell U27xx?

The Samsung 650/850D, Eizo Foris, Asus VG23AH, have minimal AG. The U27xx, Asus PA's, and well, any other IPS panel have aggresive AG that add's grain, makes the screen look 'dirty'.

In your situation, I'd go with the 850D or Foris. The Samsung PLS's all seem to have backlight bleed in varying degrees. Eizo, on the other hand, they have rather strict QC. Eizo's main line of products are geared towards the professional market and it seems to show in the consumer oriented products like the FS2333.

The Samsung 650/850D, Eizo Foris, Asus VG23AH, have minimal AG. The U27xx, Asus PA's, and well, any other IPS panel have aggresive AG that add's grain, makes the screen look 'dirty'.

In your situation, I'd go with the 850D or Foris. The Samsung PLS's all seem to have backlight bleed in varying degrees. Eizo, on the other hand, they have rather strict QC. Eizo's main line of products are geared towards the professional market and it seems to show in the consumer oriented products like the FS2333.
But how does the Eizo compare to the 1440p 27 inchers? I mean I can get a little closer to the monitor, Although I'm mainly gaming, my most important concern is image quality, whatever the size and ergonomics. I have a budget of up to 600€ but not more. Also, I meant the Asus PB278Q with semi-glossy coating not the PA.

But how does the Eizo compare to the 1440p 27 inchers? I mean I can get a little closer to the monitor, Although I'm mainly gaming, my most important concern is image quality, whatever the size and ergonomics. I have a budget of up to 600€ but not more. Also, I meant the Asus PB278Q with semi-glossy coating not the PA.

I'm only going by reviews I've read, and reputation. In terms of image quality you might get better PQ with an 850d, but with flashlighting...Eizo has standards, high standards, because their products focus primarily on the professional market where defects such as visible backlight bleed aren't acceptable. So, in terms of PQ when taking into account the likelihood of backlight bleed in Asus/Samsung monitors the Eizo comes out on top. I'd love to buy an Eizo but I haven't been able to find a retailer in NA which I feel comfortable buying from yet.

I think I'll get the Eizo try it out and return it if it's not that impressive. IDK if BLB is that important since I never game in the dark?

Last edited:
I think I'll get the Eizo try it out and return it if it's not that impressive. IDK if BLB is that important since I never game in the dark?

Never. You don't watch any content in a dark/dim room? If that's the case BLB probably wouldn't be much of an issue. Not unless it's severe in which case you can return it for a replacement.

Never. You don't watch any content in a dark/dim room? If that's the case BLB probably wouldn't be much of an issue. Not unless it's severe in which case you can return it for a replacement.
Well I sometimes watch movies in the dark/dim light. I guess since PrPnNightmare has used the Samsung 950D and yet he was very impressed by the Eizo I think I won't be disappointed either even though I don't own a calibration device. There's one question I have in mind though, if you use someone else's ICC profile is that nearly as good as calibrationg your monitor yourself?

Last edited:
Well I sometimes watch movies in the dark/dim light. I guess since PrPnNightmare has used the Samsung 950D and yet he was very impressed by the Eizo I think I won't be disappointed either even though I don't own a calibration device. There's one question I have in mind though, if you use someone else's ICC profile is that nearly as good as calibrationg your monitor yourself?

Yes/No. If a monitor comes with very poor factory calibration then yes it would. If it comes from the factory with decent/good/great calibration then it probably won't help. Eizo's tend to come from the factory with very good calibration so using someone elses profile isn't likely to help anymore than simply eyeballing things or taking pictures with a digital camera.

"Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks"

Third party seller, shipping the item overseas. I try to avoid purchases like that. I just feel more comfortable dealing with people without having a language barrier. More so given how I found this site. Eizo's regional account manager for my region referred me to this seller on a first name basis and this person has been nothing but helpful.

I love buying through Amazon, and would if they sold it directly, but a monitor isn't something I'd care to have shipped overseas, not when there's other options.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's here, and it's awesome. Better color calibration out of box than VG23AH, higher contrast(significantly higher), no BLB, complete screen uniformity. Eizo QC is on-point. It has a bit more overshoot than the VG23AH, and the overdrive on the FS2333 introduces noticeable artifacts, however it's not much more so it's easy to forget about. With how vastly superior the PQ is by comparison, a bit more overshoot is an easy trade-off. Just, god this monitor is beautiful. I didn't know BF3 had 'bright' areas. The contrast on this thing is glorious.

From what I can gather this monitor isn't able to display higher than 60Hz at native resolution, anyone here done any testing of this?

It's here, and it's awesome. Better color calibration out of box than VG23AH, higher contrast(significantly higher), no BLB, complete screen uniformity. Eizo QC is on-point. It has a bit more overshoot than the VG23AH, and the overdrive on the FS2333 introduces noticeable artifacts, however it's not much more so it's easy to forget about. With how vastly superior the PQ is by comparison, a bit more overshoot is an easy trade-off. Just, god this monitor is beautiful. I didn't know BF3 had 'bright' areas. The contrast on this thing is glorious.
Did you order from that website you linked above and if so how quick was the shipping and service?

Did you order from that website you linked above and if so how quick was the shipping and service?

I used ground shipping, so it took a week. Service was fine except a tracking number wasn't provided automatically. I was able to get it easily by contacting a sales rep.

MADE IN JAPAN ?

Are these worth paying the extra money ?

Mine has no BLB, and complete screen uniformity, arrived with quite accurate factory calibration, and has a contrast ratio of ~950. No BLB. Not even a little. None whatsoever. Almost unheard of for a Samsung/Asus IPS right? Worth every penny imo.

Even better is the experience I've had contacting Eizo. If I needed support I know I'd be able to talk with someone who actually knew more about these things than I do. Asus/Samsung/Dell support..be prepared for a checklist asking if it's plugged in and a list of 'please do this' and after all of it a 'oh okay lets RMA it' as if you're incapable of doing returns with the retailer....

Made in Japan is a stamp of quality. I mean, even the packaging was well thought out, designed with minimalism and function. The packaging for the VG23AH was such that you need to take the display out and place it face down on a surface to attach the baseplate. It was awkward to unpack the VG23AH. The Eizo, it came in a package half the bulk of the VG23AH and they designed the packaging to where you attach the baseplate while it's still in the box. You literally use 3 simple movements and you're ready to attach the baseplate at no risk to the display and you don't have to find a towel/blanket to pad down a surface...

Excuse me but the coating of FS2333 is better than FS2332 or not ?
Is it lighter or the same ?

Apparently lighter. I do not have a 2332 but 2333 is as perfect as I have seen an AG coating in the wild. Perfectly white whites. No screen door effect. At an angle it is actually glossy but directly it is diffused. FS2333 is better than FS2332 in everything. FS2331 is more debatable as being VA based it has other pluses and minuses. If it is at all between 2332 and 2333, go 2333. Read prad's reviews of both. I came from NEC 20WMGX2 and I like the Eizo.

you cant see grainy / sparkles also into the internet webpages ?

You'll see it if you look after it from close but nothing like the usual brutal IPS coating. Similar to standard matte TN coating. Anything lighter would probably make it excessively reflective (it is a little bit reflective already but nothing distracting). So i think if you can't stand the FS2333 AG you'll have to go for full-glossy then (like Apple Cinema Display) but they're like a mirror you know.

I'm asking because the Flatpanelshd review said this :

Traditionally, IPS panels have suffered from what many refer to as the “dirty screen”-look, where especially bright colors appear to hide behind a layer of dirt or a crystalized coating filter. Lately we have noticed how the dirty screen look has been minimized and we are happy to report that this is also the case with FS2333. The previous generation, FS2332 had some issues in this area, and FS2333 still has a hint of it but it has been reduced visibly and is not distracting from a typical seating distance. We found this to be true for not only pure white backgrounds but also other bright colors when surfing the internet and working on a Word document.

So i deduced that the new FS2333 had a better coating than the old FS2332.

Back