Eizo Foris FS2735 with 144Hz IPS Panel, FreeSync and Blur Reduction

Interesting option since I'm not too keen on playing the ASUS MG279Q RMA lottery. Availability this winter is still a good ways of though :/

Remember the last Eizo gaming monitor =) 2114 VA panel or whatever =)

Last edited:
I was about to get the ASUS MG279Q IPS 144hz but now I am saving money for this.

I'm kind of disappointed to see Eizo hop on the IPS wagon. Was really hoping they'd basically make a 27 inch 1440p version of the FG2421 with a 5000:1 VA panel and strobing. Oh well this monitor looks like it's going to be the best Freesync monitor out there depending on the freesync range.

Its not like they had any choice, the only high refresh VA panels in monitor size currently in production are the outdated Sharp LK235D3HA0S (since 2011) and AUO M350DVR01.0.
The Sharp panel of the FG2421 has already been discontinued and as far as I know they stopped research and manufacture of UV2A tech at sizes below 40''.
I expect more high-refresh choices in 2016, with Samsung and LG-D probably joining in but for now all display manufacturers have to work with what is available and that's just a handful of AUO panels.

Last edited:
According to the article, Eizo will be using the same AU Optronics AHVA (IPS-type) panel that the Acer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q models are using.

According to the article, Eizo will be using the same AU Optronics AHVA (IPS-type) panel that the Acer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q models are using.

does this mean they'll also have qc issues?

Please manufacturers, bring at least one 144Hz IPS 1080p 24" panel out, thank you! :(

does this mean they'll also have qc issues?

not if Eizo orders A+ rated panel batches and then sorts out the few remaining bad apples during QC
but this they usually only do with their most expensive displays (and not even they are always 100% perfect)

Please manufacturers, bring at least one 144Hz IPS 1080p 24" panel out, thank you! :(

A 27'' 1080p (LM270WF8) is supposed to go into mass production any time now. It can't be that long until a 24'' follows.

Last edited:
not if Eizo orders A+ rated panel batches and then sorts out the few remaining bad apples during QC
but this they usually only do with their most expensive displays (and not even they are always 100% perfect)

Hopefully they will do a better QC job than whatever Asus is doing, or not doing, right now.

Such a shame that they're not making it with G-sync.

Related to the issue of display lag, many gamers are probably focusing on the new G-SYNC technology from NVIDIA. G-SYNC is a technology that aims to cancel – without display delay – the tearing and judder that are caused by a mismatch between the variable rendering rate and the display’s fixed refresh rate due mainly to the load on the GPU. Although this display disturbance can be solved, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the moving image’s afterimage phenomenon is reduced.

However, Turbo 240, unlike G-SYNC, was designed to reduce the afterimage phenomenon from the outset, incorporating the backlight blinking feature. Thus even when G-SYNC-compatible displays appear on the market, for games with ferocious movement that demand a fast response, the merits of FORIS FG2421 will still continue to be clear.

Why? Eizo has superior technology to G-Sync anyways.

I don't think Eizo will never make one and I hope they never will, they're expensive enough as it is.

Why? Eizo has superior technology to G-Sync anyways.
Eizo's Turbo 240 is comparable to NVIDIA's ULMB feature, not G-Sync.
It's also strobing twice per frame at 120Hz, which means that it's going to introduce intolerable judder.
ULMB strobes once per frame, and is not limited to 120Hz. I believe 85/100/120Hz are typical.
ULMB also lets you adjust the strobe duration. Turbo 240 is an on/off feature.
BenQ's Blur Reduction in the single strobe mode (activated via the service menu) can enable strobing at any refresh rate the monitor supports.
Of course none of these can work with variable refresh rate technologies. It's one or the other.

Here's an example of why you must use one strobe per frame, taken from RTINGS' Sony X850 HDTV review.There is a more visible flicker, and less brightness when strobing once per frame, which I guess is why modes with multiple strobes per frame exist, but I don't consider it acceptable in any way.
I would prefer full persistence motion blur to the judder of strobing multiple times per frame.
Of course there would be half as much motion blur as that on a 120Hz monitor. Since that's from an HDTV review, it's only 60Hz. (16ms persistence)

The other thing you have to remember is that you must have a steady 120 FPS at 120Hz with strobing enabled. Anything even slightly below 120 FPS will result in horrendous judder.

I don't think Eizo will never make one and I hope they never will, they're expensive enough as it is.
I would be more willing to pay Eizo prices if I got the quality of a professional graphics monitor that was also capable of playing games very well with extremely low latency, support for variable refresh rates, high refresh rates, and strobing.
Once it's in that sort of price range, I'd pay the extra $200 for G-Sync.

I have no plans to switch to AMD any time soon, and as much as I'd prefer it, I don't see NVIDIA moving to support Adaptive-Sync any time soon.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see that if they ever did start to support Adaptive-Sync, they would also release an update to add support to existing G-Sync displays.

Troll Alert:rolleyes:

How is it trolling? Why would I pay an extra $200 to something I can get for free?

Secondly, 240Hz Turbo / Lightboost / Adjustable Strobe Backlighting was always the superior technology, look at this thread.

OP in that topic even said, "It kind of seems like a waste of money to have a GSYNC monitor and not use it though."

Eizo's Turbo 240 is comparable to NVIDIA's ULMB feature, not G-Sync.

My mistake, I forgot that some G-Sync monitors don't have ULMB display mode built-in. I assumed they all had it but apparently not.

I don't see NVIDIA moving to support Adaptive-Sync any time soon. I also wouldn't be surprised to see that if they ever did start to support Adaptive-Sync, they would also release an update to add support to existing G-Sync displays.

Which is why I still stand by my argument. I'd rather have Eizo stay with their current line up of monitors so there's actually some incentive for Nvidia to support Adaptive Sync. At the rate these Freesync monitors are starting to come out, I think it would be foolish of them NOT to support it.

I should also point out that there no way to have both VRR and strobing on simultaneously so it's obvious ULMB would be the better option to have enabled.

Secondly, 240Hz Turbo / Lightboost / Adjustable Strobe Backlighting was always the superior technology, look at this thread.
That really depends on the games you're playing.
If you're playing older games on newer hardware where you can guarantee that the framerate will never drop below your refresh rate, strobing is the better option.
If you're playing new releases where the system requirements are much higher and the framerate is going to be a lot more variable, you're better off using variable refresh rates.

But I would avoid using Eizo's Turbo 240 entirely, since it always introduces judder due to flashing twice per frame.
240Hz strobing can only ever be smooth at 240 FPS, and the monitor is limited to 144.

I can only hope that this monitor will be what the FG2421 should have been.

I expect more high-refresh choices in 2016, with Samsung and LG-D probably joining in but for now all display manufacturers have to work with what is available and that's just a handful of AUO panels.

And here we go, Samsung already producing a 34'' 100hz panel and planning two 144hz 1080p panels.

https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/629586222558629888
http://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/629586413579829248

Still nothing with 24''/1080p though
In any case, more choices. 2016 is gonna be a wild year

That really depends on the games you're playing.
If you're playing older games on newer hardware where you can guarantee that the framerate will never drop below your refresh rate, strobing is the better option.
If you're playing new releases where the system requirements are much higher and the framerate is going to be a lot more variable, you're better off using variable refresh rates.

But I would avoid using Eizo's Turbo 240 entirely, since it always introduces judder due to flashing twice per frame.
240Hz strobing can only ever be smooth at 240 FPS, and the monitor is limited to 144.

Judder. I dont think the word means what you think it means. Judder is when the source refresh rate does not match with the output refresh rate which causes uneven motion due to different lengths each picture is visible. Say, this frame is redrawn twice and next three times and and so on... The image seems to speed up and slowdown back and forth, making the motion uneven, "juddering". Hell thats why 120hz TVs were even made in the first place, to get rid of the judder caused by 24fps sources. (Motion Interpolation was merely an afterthought and something to market them with, "super smooth 120hz picture" etc...)
When the source framerate divides evenly with output, say 30 frames to 60hz screen or 24hz to 120hz or 60 to 120, there is no judder. 60fps on 60hz screen will look exactly the same as it will look on 120hz screen. There is no judder what so ever. Even if the monitor updates the screen 120 times per second internally each frame from 60fps image is still visible and unchanged the same amount of time (16.7ms each IIRC?) as they are with 60hz screen.

And backlight strobing will only introduce flicker, which may or may not be detectable depending on how fast it strobes. Does not cause judder because you still see each frame in same speed and equally long time as long as the source FPS and screen refresh rates divide evenly.

As I understand it, at 240hz/120 fps, one of those doubled frames is a black frame, so it essentially emulates a 120 hz impulse display. You're not getting each of those frames flashed twice.

See the white paper.

When the source framerate divides evenly with output, say 30 frames to 60hz screen or 24hz to 120hz or 60 to 120, there is no judder. 60fps on 60hz screen will look exactly the same as it will look on 120hz screen. There is no judder what so ever. Even if the monitor updates the screen 120 times per second internally each frame from 60fps image is still visible and unchanged the same amount of time (16.7ms each IIRC?) as they are with 60hz screen.

And backlight strobing will only introduce flicker, which may or may not be detectable depending on how fast it strobes. Does not cause judder because you still see each frame in same speed and equally long time as long as the source FPS and screen refresh rates divide evenly.
You are mistaken.
With a flicker-free display that holds the image the entire duration of a frame, there is no penalty for repeating frames.

If the display is flickering, the repeated frames will judder because the repeated frame is seen as a new image, and our brain expects moving objects to be in a new position.
I already posted an example of this:

It should be easy to demonstrate if you use a ULMB display at 120Hz and then enable 1/2 Refresh V-Sync. You get terrible judder.
It's also why motion looks terrible on displays that use PWM backlights.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/pulse_width_modulation.htm said:
Where the effect of flicker can really come into play is any time the user's eyes are moving. Under constant illumination with no flickering (e.g. sunlight) the image is smoothly blurred and is how we normally perceive motion. However, when combined with a light source using PWM several discrete afterimages of the screen may be perceived simultaneously and reduce readability and the ability of the eyes to lock onto objects. From the earlier analysis of the CCFL backlighting we know that false colour may be introduced as well, even when the original image is monochromatic. Below are shown examples of how text might appear while the eyes are moving horizontally under different backlights.

Original
blurnoneneurq.png

Without PWM
blurnopwmimujn.png

CCFL PWM
blurccfl6pu7j.png

LED PWM
blurleds0ucs.png

It is important to remember that this is entirely due to the backlight, and the display itself is showing a static image.

I can't watch Plasma TVs for this reason. I know some people claim that plasmas were great at motion but all I see is judder and the image breaking up into separate colors if I move my eyes to track an object moving on-screen.

As I understand it, at 240hz/120 fps, one of those doubled frames is a black frame, so it essentially emulates a 120 hz impulse display. You're not getting each of those frames flashed twice.
See the white paper.
That doesn't make any sense.
Why do black frame insertion on the panel in in addition to strobing the backlight?
You have an LED backlight which responds orders of magnitude faster than the LCD.

It would halve the amount of time that he panel has to complete a transition between frames - the response time would have to be 4ms instead of 8ms.

TFT Central measured that the display is strobing twice per frame.
They did say that the first strobe is at a lower intensity - though they did not say whether that was actually black frame insertion, or simply displaying the image twice.

Either way, that's worse than ULMB or BenQ's Blur Reduction strobing once per frame.

I can't watch Plasma TVs for this reason. I know some people claim that plasmas were great at motion but all I see is judder and the image breaking up into separate colors if I move my eyes to track an object moving on-screen.

Huh? I have a plasma TV and I don't see what you're talking about image breaking into separate colors. Is this something that affects only certain plasmas? I have a Panasonic Viera from 2010 and the motion on that is better than any non strobed LCD even at 60Hz.

Huh? I have a plasma TV and I don't see what you're talking about image breaking into separate colors. Is this something that affects only certain plasmas? I have a Panasonic Viera from 2010 and the motion on that is better than any non strobed LCD even at 60Hz.

It affects all plasmas because they have to build up the image over multiple "sub-frames" - essentially using PWM.
They do this because they can only switch the pixels on or off instead of setting them to discrete levels like LCDs, and this artifact occurs because the individual red, green, and blue phosphors have different response times from each other.

Here is slow-motion footage demonstrating this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OvG8pk3k90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlpl7AmvNo

You might have seen plasma TVs advertising things like "480Hz" and "600Hz".
Those numbers are referring to the fact that they display 60Hz content using 8 or 10 sub-frames.

Here's an example of the problem on a late-model Panasonic VT60 when displaying a static image:
https://tweakers.net/reviews/3431/6...iconische-plasmaserie-beeldeigenschappen.html

As long as nothing moves, everything looks good:
1393328976f7sx4.jpeg

Though there is no motion on the screen, if you move your eyes (and your eyes are constantly moving) the image breaks up, displaying brief flashes of color:
13933289779js5h.jpeg

Of course here it was the camera that moved, to represent eye movement.

Old CCFL LCDs with PWM had similar problems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q271bKhAXM8

And it's a very common issue with DLP, since color is actually sequential on those displays, in addition to them using PWM to create gradation.

Eizo has a nasty habit of including PWM dimming below 20% brightness. Hopefully that's all and done with.

Is that a frameless bezel?

I think the minimum refresh rate is 60hz by reading the section 優れた動画表示性能.

http://www.eizo.co.jp/press/archive/2015/NR15_012.html

A 1440p display with adaptive refresh that only goes down to 60Hz? smh...

I wish AMD would have made it a rule that any document a company puts out advertising their display as supporting Freesync also has to list the variable refresh range. I have to take every monitor release with a grain of salt until I can find that info somewhere. Honestly, I could care less about how high the refresh rates go on these displays. Even with Crossfire, at 1440p there's no way I'll be pushing the upper refresh limit on my games, not with the visuals turned up. I'm more concerned that the variable refresh will stay active during the times the framerate dips lower.

I'm kind of disappointed to see Eizo hop on the IPS wagon. Was really hoping they'd basically make a 27 inch 1440p version of the FG2421 with a 5000:1 VA panel and strobing. Oh well this monitor looks like it's going to be the best Freesync monitor out there depending on the freesync range.

The VA panel in the Eizo foris was horrible tho.

A 1440p display with adaptive refresh that only goes down to 60Hz? smh...

I wish AMD would have made it a rule that any document a company puts out advertising their display as supporting Freesync also has to list the variable refresh range. I have to take every monitor release with a grain of salt until I can find that info somewhere. Honestly, I could care less about how high the refresh rates go on these displays. Even with Crossfire, at 1440p there's no way I'll be pushing the upper refresh limit on my games, not with the visuals turned up. I'm more concerned that the variable refresh will stay active during the times the framerate dips lower.

It says that "normal" monitors refresh @ 60Hz but this Eizo is able to refresh @ 144Hz. Nothing about adaptive sync.

except its measured contrast and black depth were some of the best ever recorded for an LCD, but yeah it was pretty horrible... :rolleyes:

High contrast at the price of significant colour vibrancy loss (it can only cover 90% of the sRGB colour space which is on par with budget 1080p IPS, but not really due to VA gamma shift), accentuated gamma shift, weird side glow and abysmal quality control :rolleyes:

High contrast at the price of significant colour vibrancy loss (it can only cover 90% of the sRGB colour space which is on par with budget 1080p IPS, but not really due to VA gamma shift), accentuated gamma shift, weird side glow and abysmal quality control :rolleyes:

There was only a few good LCD monitors for gaming in history. The Eizo FG2421, eizo fx2431 and eizo cx240/cg246. Other are overclocked office crap. Low contrast or terrible glow, backlight bleed.
Only FG2421 is still alive. One thing u must do is buy a selected panel.

BTW I am afraid that the Eizo FS2735 will not meet my expectations. It will be ratcher the same league as Asus, Benq, Acer etc. Low panel uniformity and glow (no atw-polarizer). Only the strobing mode maybe will be bright enought (200cd/m2).

Too bad it's Freesync and won't work with NVIDIA GPU's for frame pacing. I love the connectivity options and the ability to change my display settings through desktop software or phone.

There was only a few good LCD monitors for gaming in history. The Eizo FG2421, eizo fx2431 and eizo cx240/cg246. Other are overclocked office crap. Low contrast or terrible glow, backlight bleed.
Only FG2421 is still alive. One thing u must do is buy a selected panel.

BTW I am afraid that the Eizo FS2735 will not meet my expectations. It will be ratcher the same league as Asus, Benq, Acer etc. Low panel uniformity and glow (no atw-polarizer). Only the strobing mode maybe will be bright enought (200cd/m2).

You left out the Benq XL2720Z with V4 firmware.

TRUE successor to a CRT with 60hz-144hz single strobed blur reduction (V4 added an AMA low mode which was undocumented and not in the other blur reduction 1.0 Z monitors for some reason even in V4).

Back