EIZO S2133-H 21.3" 4:3 1600 × 1200 IPS display. New in 2013

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
S2133-H product page on EIZO Japan website (in Japanese only)
8 bit panel
10 bit LUT
93.9 PPI (for PLP purposes 29.76" at 2560×1600 is 101.44 PPI)
AG matte*
New 4:3 displays are rare, so this one might interest a few people. Unfortunately it's not yet on the EIZO Global Flexscan S product pages, the Japanese page through a translator will have to suffice for now. Ships end of April according to this report, which also claims the price will be ¥89000 ($962)

*I think it's matte, the google translation of the features says: "It also employs a panel of light reflection and glare that glare is not noticeable, eye fatigue."

Pixel densities using: http://pixeldensitycalculator.com/

That is unusual to see ... a new 4:3 panel. Unlike the current ones (S-PVA) this one is IPS.

Unfortunately they are all insanely priced.

hi ian, i was excited at first to read your post, but it seems the ppi of this panel aint anything to write home about and the price is a per other 4:3 products uber high. At around $400 i d be seriously considering it, but at $900, bloody hell.

That is unusual to see ... a new 4:3 panel. Unlike the current ones (S-PVA) this one is IPS.

@Namelessme:

I think you had some 4:3 units (NEC 2190Uxp). I'm interested in one of ebay and i need some advice. I sent you some PM, please, could you review it?

Many thanks

Last edited:
...the ppi of this panel aint anything to write home about and the price is a per other 4:3 products uber high...
Perhaps the real price will be lower? but I agree that it is a lot, it's not as if it's part of the ColorEdge range so it's harsh for 4:3 enthusiasts.

As for the PPI, I noted it as I assumed the first thing a few people would want to know is whether it will fit portrait alongside the 30" displays, but it's a bit larger than the old Dell 2007FP (iirc the S-IPS variant 2007FP used to the preferred choice for PLP.) That pixel density isn't anything special today, I believe it would work alongside a 24.1" 1920×1200 in LLL, but I doubt many people would want to do that.

I was curious about one thing: is this a new panel type or just the old IPS being 'recycled' into this new monitor?

Last edited:
I was curious about one thing: is this a new panel type or just the old IPS being 'recycled' into this new monitor?

I'm also curious where they sourced the panel. I wasn't aware LG even made an IPS in that size/ratio. The only models I have seen at 21.3" and IPS have been medical monitors (and they are truly insanely priced), but no idea where those panels came from.

Plus side, assuming it has a light/med coating, is that several years from now it may be possible to find used 2133s at a semi-affordable price. At least it's another option for 4:3 people, and there aren't many options left remaining.

Specifications say the 2006 vintage NEC LCD2190UXi is IPS, and also the 2005 EIZO Flexscan L997.

I think 21.3" IPS has existed previously, just not popular due to being considerably more expensive that the 20.1" 4:3 displays. Of course the specs could be wrong, iirc the last time I used an EIZO 4:3 it was an ASV panel.

I forgot about the IPS flavor of the 2190, and didn't know Eizo had a commercial version once upon a time. For the NEC 2190uxi, they used a panel made by NEC itself, and stopped using it some time ago. I think the main problem for those older IPS panels was low contrast, around 500:1.

Although a niche product, I'd love to see a couple of other manufacturers sell new 4:3 displays (at a cheaper price). A 21.3" 4:3 is more or less the same usable screen space as a 23" 16:9, so it really shouldn't cost several times the price of a decent 23" IPS.

I would think for practically all business purposes, they would be much better than 16:9 displays, so there could be some market for affordable 4:3s still.

Last edited:
And apparently the nec came with an at-w polarizer as far as I remember from reading around.

In terms of aspect ratios I think the added advantage of the 4:3 21.3" over the 16:9 23" is that in software environments where you don't need the extra horizontal space it helps you focus more, and decreases the eye strain from actually having the extra horizontal length glow light towards your face. That's for sensitive people to lcds such as myself at least, and as far as I can tell from my own usage.

In terms of aspect ratios I think the added advantage of the 4:3 21.3" over the 16:9 23" is that in software environments where you don't need the extra horizontal space it helps you focus more, and decreases the eye strain from actually having the extra horizontal length glow light towards your face. That's for sensitive people to lcds such as myself at least, and as far as I can tell from my own usage.

That is a good point, and true based on what I have seen. I am using a 24.1" right now, am generally okay with it, but any more horizontal space would be both a waste, and I think would really tire my eyes out. That's a reason why I haven't gone with a 27" model.

And I have dual monitors set up, but I rarely run both for long periods of time, simply because it seems to make my eyes more fatigued/burnt out.

One thing I have noticed is, besides movies + games, widescreen is basically a waste. Almost all webpages work fine in 4:3 (most are that ratio anyway), and most software works better with more vertical than horizontal space. 21.3" at 4:3 is a nice compromise with size ... not too big, not too small, yet plenty of vertical.

I just noticed something today when looking at this again:

Contrast ratio: 1500:1

That is the highest contrast ratio I have ever seen as official specs for any IPS monitor. I think some medical monitors may have had similar specs, but they cost a fortune... and think they only went up to 1200:1.

I am now extra curious where they got the panel from. If it has a light coating + isn't too bad with glow, it could be a perfect monitor ... besides the fact it's so expensive nobody can really afford it.

I noticed the contrast, but thought perhaps it's just dynamic as some of the older 21.3" displays quote native contrast as 500:1. If the English product pages get updated then perhaps this detail will be clarified, if it is 1500:1 native that would be hugely impressive.

It could always be dynamic, but under its actual specs page it's still listed as 1500:1 (typical). For Eizos, I believe they at least mention if it's dynamic or not. And usually when manufacturers list dynamic, they go overboard, and list it as 1,000,000:1 or some insane number ... not a small increase over the norm.

But as you say, assuming it gets an english release, then specs may be clearer.

The older 21.3" IPS panels were 500:1 just because they were elderly, I assume. I can't see Eizo using a panel from 2004 in a modern day (new) monitor.

Back