Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

I think the point they were trying to make is how much you can mod oblivion, as that obviously made a massive change. I agree though, that mod is extremely gay and pointless.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/07/e3-2011-fresh-skyrim-screenshots-show-horse-riding-cities/

Few new screen shots. My favorite:

skyrimscreenshotse32011.jpg

The lower res textures, the terrible Console style UI system, etc.

Lower res textures? I'm fairly certain you're mixing up your timelines or something. If Oblivion came out this year then sure - you'd have a point. But in 2006, Oblivion looked awesome. Hell - it still looks decent with high AA and AF. (And, of course, can look amazing with texture/mesh upgrade mods).

Also - what do you mean console style UI? That makes zero sense whatsoever. In the PC version you have a cursor. You know...for a mouse. Where you scroll around and choose shit in the UI. That's pretty PC-like to me. There's no menu style that dictates whether it's "PC" or "console". Now - if we had to "press m" for magic menu, "press j" for journal and had no centralized area where we could scroll around and choose anything you'd like to with a mouse, then you'd have a point. But when you have an on-screen, in-game cursor - you're opinion on the UI gets confusing at that point. So I'd like to know what you mean by "console style UI system", maybe there's something I'm missing. Also, the "etc" you included there - please elaborate.

You obviously havent experienced a bad port from xbox to PC then lol. When you get graphics that are just a tiny bit better than the console counterpart and all the menu's and buttons that show up on the screen are for a console (like "Click *X* on your controller to open the door) then you would get pissed too.

Which game(s) did that happen on? Enlighten me, I'm legitimately curious. ;)

Last edited:
Are you people being serious? That is one of the faggiest things I have seen in my life.

You're right, we must all conform to your idea of what's cool in video games, my bad :rolleyes:

I will undergo remedial training in taste to suit your preferences. :rolleyes:

*gasp* people have different tastes in things *gasp*

Parents not teach you that? Too much for your unevolved mind to process?

Lower res textures? I'm fairly certain you're mixing up your timelines or something. If Oblivion came out this year then sure - you'd have a point. But in 2006, Oblivion looked awesome. Hell - it still looks decent with high AA and AF. (And, of course, can look amazing with texture/mesh upgrade mods).

Also - what do you mean console style UI? That makes zero sense whatsoever. In the PC version you have a cursor. You know...for a mouse. Where you scroll around and choose shit in the UI. That's pretty PC-like to me. There's no menu style that dictates whether it's "PC" or "console". Now - if we had to "press m" for magic menu, "press j" for journal and had no centralized area where we could scroll around and choose anything you'd like to with a mouse, then you'd have a point. But when you have an on-screen, in-game cursor - you're opinion on the UI gets confusing at that point. So I'd like to know what you mean by "console style UI system", maybe there's something I'm missing. Also, the "etc" you included there - please elaborate.

Even when it came out you'd have to be crazy to not understand that the textures of the game were held back because of the limitations of the memory of consoles, mainly environmental textures and details.

They could have easily shipped the pc version with higher res textures then what we got and had to wait for modders to do it better.

As far as UI goes......umm, did you play the game on the PC?

The whole UI was designed around a console with it's huge icons and things. That's why the UI mods were some of the first on th escene that made the UI show you more items/information since people on the pc were playing at a higher resolution then the consoles.

You're right, we must all conform to your idea of what's cool in video games, my bad :rolleyes:

ohsnap.gif

That looks bad fucking ass! I especially like the shadowing on the right by the candles. I need to upgrade my dinosaur =o

It will probably run just fine on your computer is the sad thing so if you are upgrading probably don't want to do it for this game. :p

So Fail, does this mean CoD isn't inherently evil and all the hate you throw at it is just...opinion?

(CoD is the devil, but that's another discussion!)

I never claimed at that CoD was inherently evil, just that it sucked, but I also didn't refer to it as "gay" and "faggot shit" either.

That's a topic for another discussion, let's not go off topic here and derail the thread.

But for the record, I never stated that CoD was inherently evil, just that it sucked, and I most certainly didn't refer to it as "gay" or "faggot shit" either.

Unbunch them, chum. You're allowed to like faggy things just as much as I am allowed to think that they are faggy.

lol @ attempt at condescension

Looks like they've improved the head meshes, thank god. I hope it's possible to make a non-hilarious character without a bunch of mods this time around.

Even when it came out you'd have to be crazy to not understand that the textures of the game were held back because of the limitations of the memory of consoles, mainly environmental textures and details.

A game with such a huge expanse of on-screen scenery would have been hard-pressed at the time to deliver supermegaultra high resolution textures with the draw distance cranked all the way up. Had they included much larger textures, we would have likely been bitching about lower framerates or draw distance limits - unless you had one of the super high-end cards, of course. Also - doesn't the Xbox 360 and PS3 have 512mb of memory?

Not sure if you were actually gaming on PC back then or on Xbox 360 - but in 2006 it wasn't uncommon for even some of the expensive video cards to have only 256Mb of memory. 512mb was the "norm" and 1Gb cards were the ones we salivated over and were jealous of in reviews here on [H]. :D

They didn't create Oblivion to be like Crysis where no one, not even high-end users, could play it at a decent framerate. They, like any other developer, created it for the masses. If 256-512mb cards are what's "normal" at the time, that's what they'll make a game to take advantage of, and that's what they did. And don't forget - Xbox 360 was actually impressive for a time, rivaling expensive video cards. That rivalry didn't last all that long - but it happened. When Oblivion was being developed for the Xbox 360 - the Xbox 360 was 100% NOT the lowest common denominator, it was "up there" on the totem pole.

Fast forward to today, though - of course it's a different story.

As far as UI goes......umm, did you play the game on the PC?

The whole UI was designed around a console with it's huge icons and things. That's why the UI mods were some of the first on th escene that made the UI show you more items/information since people on the pc were playing at a higher resolution then the consoles.
Sure did play it on the PC - and still do. And about the UI - games rendered at lower resolutions would actually require lower resolution menus in order to not fill up too much of the screen. How would a lower-resolution console game menu translate to a higher-resolution menu system on a PC game? Ah, that's right - they rendered it at a higher resolution and DPI for PC because of the very fact that many of us were running 1920x1080 and higher. They didn't want people squinting at their monitors. It has nothing to do with consoles.

Thats another thing to note. oblivion was made at a time where the 360's where nearly same power as a gaming pc.

Sure did play it on the PC - and still do. And about the UI - games rendered at lower resolutions would actually require lower resolution menus in order to not fill up too much of the screen. How would a lower-resolution console game menu translate to a higher-resolution menu system on a PC game? Ah, that's right - they rendered it at a higher resolution and DPI for PC because of the very fact that many of us were running 1920x1080 and higher. They didn't want people squinting at their monitors. It has nothing to do with consoles.

Did you ever play Morrowind? You talk a lot about it not being consolised style UI because you can use it with a mouse, but Morrowind is a perfect example of a menu/inventory system designed for use with a KB+mouse on a PC screen compared to the Oblivion styled one designed to be played on a console while sitting far from the TV on your couch so you need bigger writing, less things displayed, but also need slightly more description because you can't mouse over items like you can on PC.

You just need to load up Morrowind and then Oblivion to see a PC UI compared to a console UI.

Last edited:
That looks bad fucking ass! I especially like the shadowing on the right by the candles. I need to upgrade my dinosaur =o

That's an awesome screenshot. Between this and BF3 I won't see the light of day all fall and winter, lol!

Uh, yes, it did have lower res textures and a consolized UI. So does Fallout 3 - NV. Hitting the Tab button to access everything is counterintuitive to PC gaming. You should be able to hit i for inventory, s or b for spells, c for stats, j for journal, m for map. You also shouldn't have giant fonts, tons of scrolling etc.. It was made to be fully navigable on a controller. It was a complete 180 from the way even Morrowind handled it.

I already like what I see like others. Vanilla Skyrim maxed out is going to be pretty damned good looking on the PC.

But then imagine what the likes of something like this will do:

Someone mentioned Fallout New Vegas.

On New Vegas for example you can hit up insanity like this:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42028

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39755

If you choose his highest end stuff, your eyes will bulge out and you'll see your system get a work out. Prepare to be genuinely shocked at what you see. 4096x4096 Textures damn well bring it, believe me.

Mods like that are why I'm simply not worried about Skyrim on the PC. I'll have a great time with the vanilla version and then I know it's only going to keep getting better thanks to things like the above.

Worried about UI? I'm sure our friend Darnified will be on that top of that in no time with one of his amazing DarnUI setups. :)

It's only going to get better one way or the other. :)

Did you ever play Morrowind? You talk a lot about it not being consolised style UI because you can use it with a mouse, but Morrowind is a perfect example of a menu/inventory system designed for use with a KB+mouse on a PC screen compared to the Oblivion styled one designed to be played on a console while sitting far from the TV on your couch so you need bigger writing, less things displayed, but also need slightly more description because you can't mouse over items like you can on PC.

You just need to load up Morrowind and then Oblivion to see a PC UI compared to a console UI.

I have Morrowind. What makes you think I've never played it for some odd reason? That game was given a UI suitable for resolutions lower than what we have today. Case in point: it looked great at 1024x768! Do you forget that Morrowind was on the original Xbox, too? Right. They never "consolized" the damned series. They adjusted for resolution changes.

Uh, yes, it did have lower res textures and a consolized UI. So does Fallout 3 - NV. Hitting the Tab button to access everything is counterintuitive to PC gaming. You should be able to hit i for inventory, s or b for spells, c for stats, j for journal, m for map. You also shouldn't have giant fonts, tons of scrolling etc.. It was made to be fully navigable on a controller. It was a complete 180 from the way even Morrowind handled it.

How in the hell is hitting tab counter intuitive? It's right there by WASD. The fact that I'm able to click it without liftng a hand from the keyboard makes it pretty convenient. In order to hit I, J or M, you'd have to take your hand off of either the mouse or the WASD keys. That would be completely counter-intuitive, and much akin to being forced to press "X" for menu, "O" for map, and fucking "triangle" for journal. :rolleyes:

How in the hell is hitting tab counter intuitive? It's right there by WASD. The fact that I'm able to click it without liftng a hand from the keyboard makes it pretty convenient. In order to hit I, J or M, you'd have to take your hand off of either the mouse or the WASD keys. That would be completely counter-intuitive, and much akin to being forced to press "X" for menu, "O" for map, and fucking "triangle" for journal. :rolleyes:
As long as the keys can be re-mapped. I don't use WASD, I guess my version would be HFBG.

^^ so true!! From a person that had never played modded Oblivion, I was actually very shocked at how incredibly good Nehrim + Qarl's looks. Down right shocked in fact---except for some obvious differences like the faces on characters, at least the scenery in the screens linked above look about equal with what i'm seeing in Nehrim.

In fact, the thing i like most about Nehrim's design is the amount of foliage/trees they placed.. it really makes the world come alive and feel like you're in a real place.

The beginnig lake in Nehrim reminds me of the Mildred Lakes in the Olympic Mountains... that's how dense these forests are. I'll take a screen later... But anyway, that's the biggest flaw i see so far in Skyrim--in all the screens the foliage is too sparse. We'll see though... as QB-Z pointed out, modders are surely to fix this if enough people find it an issue!!

Which brings me to my core hope--that this "new" engine feels better. I've been playing Oblivion for years, and in the last week was the first time i'd tried it on my new rig (last time i'd upgraded was 5 years ago). The darn game feels the same on this badass rig as it did 5 years ago. I remember the game getting sluggish whenever combat happened--it could never retain good FPS. That is true running on my 5 year old computer, and my brand new one, and that's sad :( I hope the new engine will be optimized better.

I just hope the running in third person doesn't look ridiculous like in Gamebryo. I like my RPG's in third person.

I have Morrowind. What makes you think I've never played it for some odd reason? That game was given a UI suitable for resolutions lower than what we have today. Case in point: it looked great at 1024x768! Do you forget that Morrowind was on the original Xbox, too? Right. They never "consolized" the damned series. They adjusted for resolution changes.

You're confusing the shit out of me lol Usually this argument is the other way around... I've always felt Oblivion's UI was 'consolised' because it took so many clicks to do stuff. It felt to me that they wanted me to hit the "Menu Button" then hit the left thumbstick left/right/up/down to navigate the Journal. Instead of, like someone else posted, being able to hit M for map instead of Tab + click, or F4 (at least they provided the F keys.. this was obviously done for the PC).

Even more annoying IMO is the way they force you to loot and sell things. At least i was able to mod my game with "A to take All" so that i wouldn't have to move my mouse from the middle of the screen to the loot button EVERY single time. There is A LOT of clicking involved in trying to vendor items in Oblivion also. Click item, click OK on quantity and/or click okay to sell. I have not played Oblivion on the XBOX, but I assume that you can spam A or w/e the button is to be able to sell quickly, without clicking 2/3 times. In Diablo II, you could hold down CTRL and click items to sell them... in Oblivion you can hold down shift to drop items, where's the shift or ctrl to sell??

I don't think there is anyone who plays RPGs that will agree with you. Oblivion UI was definitely consolized, which is the major reason most people refuse to play it now without the Darnified UI mod.

black_b[ ]x;1037385872 said:
As long as the keys can be re-mapped. I don't use WASD, I guess my version would be HFBG.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't remap the keys.

DarnUI for Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas owns. It's a mandatory download and I suspect its future incarnation for Skyrim will also be a mandatory download.

The issue is somewhat overblown in my opinion. Basically the main problems lies in 2 areas -

1) font size as related to screen real estate
2) direct access to certain menus

Both are somewhat trivial "fixes" (as evidenced by how quick the mods came out for this) and is arguably preference based. Some people like extremely large fonts/icons even when using PCs, don't think otherwise.

You can argue the design feels more "integrated" into the game, particularly for the Pipboy, as opposed to "magical" menus. This is really more of an acceptance thing.

As for item management, there are different pros/cons to various ways of doing it. Also some decisions are not necessarily due to the "console" but just issues period, The Witcher for instance had no keyboard shortcuts for looting/herb picking as far as I know as well.

The point with morrowind is that is is clearly designed to be used with a mouse. Everything is visible for you to click on as soon as you right click to enter the inventory. You can see all your items, you can see all your skills, you can see all your spells and character info, bang, right there. I have actually played Morrowind on Xbox as well, but I dont remember what the inventory was like in the Xbox version, all I can say is the PC version is clearly not a console styled UI and clearly it takes advantage of your ability to use a mouse, unlike Oblivion where its clearly designed for a controller but if playing on the PC you are using it with a mouse.

Also the Morrowind style menu is designed to be used as a range of resolutions, a very "PC" thing to do. So you can play it at a low resolution and its usable, but if you have a high resolution its even better, its also clearly designed to be viewed at typical PC viewing distances, as I wouldn't be able to read half the text at typical TV viewing distances.

Honestly I dont really care that much. I wasn't crying when I saw the Oblivion UI, it just seemed like a large step backward from the Morrowind UI, its just you made a big deal in the beginning about it not being consolised because you use a mouse, but the ability to use a mouse doesn't mean it was really designed for a mouse IMO :)

Last edited:
Also some decisions are not necessarily due to the "console" but just issues period, The Witcher for instance had no keyboard shortcuts for looting/herb picking as far as I know as well.

To pick up stuff I dont think it had a keyboard shortcut (I'm not sure why you'd want one as you have to mouse over the object anyway), but I'm pretty sure it had a "collect all" shortcut key.

Nice interview. Some info I haven't heard before. Thanks for posting.

It seems that most reviews/previews I read from AusGamers tend to be pretty good. They seem less deferential and more curious than other magazines. Lots more information tends to come to light from their reviews and interviews. Howard seems more like he's actually talking about something he's proud of and wants to show off, rather than sell like a lot of the E3 stuff seemed.

Howard seems more like he's actually talking about something he's proud of and wants to show off, rather than sell like a lot of the E3 stuff seemed.

I get that feeling from him too. He explains his points of view very well. Todd Howard and David Jaffe are the only two developers I can sit and listen to all day. You can tell they are passionate about what they create.

It really steams my clams that they cut out the Dark Brotherhood. What were they thinking? Those were the most fun missions in Oblivion.

hopefully it's still in there, they're just keeping it low-key, as before--the only way you could find out about the brotherhood was through murder... there is no official "guild" out in the open.

hopefully

It really steams my clams that they cut out the Dark Brotherhood. What were they thinking? Those were the most fun missions in Oblivion.

No they didn't I heard him say in another interview that they had a presence in Skyrim. To what extent I don't know though

Back