Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Ahh yes, true. I did enjoy that redguard quest, and shockingly, there was more than one outcome to it lol

That's what gets me about most quests. There's only one path to take. If you don't like that path, there's no way to progress in that quest line.

Incidentally, how's come the Creation Kit wasn't released with the game as has been the case with the two previous installments at least?

Many, thanks to the bug jar conspiracy, are thinking that the delay in releasing the creation kit is to allow the community to discover some big easter egg that would easily be revealed through a jaunt in the code.

I have all the FO3 DLCs but none of New Vegas (even though I liked NV better). How much do the NV DLC's expand upon NV vs. FO3 DLC's expand upon FO3? The FO3 ones sounded bigger and better by what people said, but I of course don't know.

You know, that front page article that Steve posted really got me thinking.

While this game is definitely an improvement over Oblivion, it really leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, a lot of the "big" features they were hyping prior to release, such as Radiant Story and Unlimited Dragons just come across as gimicky.

Give me 10 well-designed boss fights instead of what amounts to unlimited, fire-breathing cliff racers.

Give me 20 well-designed, well-WRITTEN (Bethesda really has a lot to learn in this department), deep, engrossing quests instead of unlimited, randomly generated fetch quests. And the gear... was dissapointing, to say the least. There just isn't enough diversity.

Really, the only thing this game has going for it is the open-world aspect and the dungeons (specifically the dwemer ruins, but that may just be Morrowind nostalgia). The rest just feels really shallow.

I would add mods to the list of things this game has going for it, but they haven't even released the Creation Kit yet, so that's not possible (yes, there are a few texture packs and whatnot, I'm talking full-blown mods that enhance/deepen the gameplay).

I haven't launched the game in over 2 weeks now, and I think that time away has really helped me gain some perspective on what I really felt about the game, now that my time with it is pretty much over. The wedding and the honeymoon were great, but it just couldn't hold onto me for more than a few weeks after.

I have all the FO3 DLCs but none of New Vegas (even though I liked NV better). How much do the NV DLC's expand upon NV vs. FO3 DLC's expand upon FO3? The FO3 ones sounded bigger and better by what people said, but I of course don't know.

All I can tell you is I was very satisfied with the DLCs for both Fallouts. You really can't go wrong, especially if they're running sales and such. If you're big on NV, then getting the DLCs are a no brainer.

NV DLC have better writing and design, from what I've read. I'll be playing as much of them tonight as I can.

It was fun, glad I bought it but it got too easy to fast and that was the major detraction for me. Not necessarily the lack of effect on the world. Will revisit on pc in a year or so when the DLC is cheaper and good mods are out.

I haven't played Lonesome Road yet (lost all saves, since apparently the advertised cloud support is disabled :p)

But Old World Blues is better than all the FO3 DLC in my opinion, but this could also be that the writing appealed to me more. Honest Hearts and Dead Money are comparable to Point Lookout, which I thought was the better FO3 DLC (Didn't really like Alaska, Zeta which were basically mostly corridor shooters).

You know, that front page article that Steve posted really got me thinking.

While this game is definitely an improvement over Oblivion, it really leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, a lot of the "big" features they were hyping prior to release, such as Radiant Story and Unlimited Dragons just come across as gimicky.

Give me 10 well-designed boss fights instead of what amounts to unlimited, fire-breathing cliff racers.

Give me 20 well-designed, well-WRITTEN (Bethesda really has a lot to learn in this department), deep, engrossing quests instead of unlimited, randomly generated fetch quests. And the gear... was dissapointing, to say the least. There just isn't enough diversity.

Really, the only thing this game has going for it is the open-world aspect and the dungeons (specifically the dwemer ruins, but that may just be Morrowind nostalgia). The rest just feels really shallow.

I would add mods to the list of things this game has going for it, but they haven't even released the Creation Kit yet, so that's not possible (yes, there are a few texture packs and whatnot, I'm talking full-blown mods that enhance/deepen the gameplay).

I haven't launched the game in over 2 weeks now, and I think that time away has really helped me gain some perspective on what I really felt about the game, now that my time with it is pretty much over. The wedding and the honeymoon were great, but it just couldn't hold onto me for more than a few weeks after.

You are correct, sir. After i realized that the Radiant AI quests were all stored under Misc, i then proceeded to never do any other quests under the misc category ever again. Pretty sad really that one of their huge things really didn't deliver

After i realized that the Radiant AI quests were all stored under Misc, i then proceeded to never do any other quests under the misc category ever again. Pretty sad really that one of their huge things really didn't deliver

I agree...I'm tired of the Misc. quests...kill the bandit leader at blank cave...kill the dragon at blank tower...collect 10 wolf pelts etc...gets old real quick...the quests listed above Misc. are the ones I focus on

I agree...I'm tired of the Misc. quests...kill the bandit leader at blank cave...kill the dragon at blank tower...collect 10 wolf pelts etc...gets old real quick...the quests listed above Misc. are the ones I focus on

Same here. There's just really no point and satisfaction in doing a lot of those Misc. quests although occasionally some of them actually turn into "real" quests so don't dismiss everything out of hand.

actually no, misc isn't always radiant. Just like the the "main" quests or whatever aren't always non-radiant. You're missing out on a lot if you aren't hitting the misc tab. Sometimes the misc triggers "main" quests. (By "main" I don't mean THE main quest, but the other ones not in the misc tab)

what are some example of Misc. quests triggering side quests?...I've seen a few Misc. quests trigger other quests but not because of the Misc. quest itself but rather because I happened to come to a location or run into an NPC which triggered it...so in reality the Misc. quest wasn't really the trigger but rather the location was (or maybe I happened to read a book which was the trigger as well)

I'm pretty sure the Dark Brotherhood Forever quests are radiant...and they're not in Misc.

I can't remember the misc quests off hand (yeah books are misc), I just remember having the theory that misc = radiant, then being proven wrong.

Anyone know how to do the tackle move?

What are you guys considering "radiant" quests? A lot of quests have dynamic components using the "radiant engine." For instance the Mages College side quests, do you consider those "radiant quests?" Many of them mix hand scripted as well as radiant engine stages.

I don't actually understand what the complaint is about the generated "kill xxxx" quests, they just add something to do with some objective. The game still features 6.5 hand done quest lines as well as many other hand done quests.

What are you guys considering "radiant" quests? A lot of quests have dynamic components using the "radiant engine." For instance the Mages College side quests, do you consider those "radiant quests?" Many of them mix hand scripted as well as radiant engine stages.

I don't actually understand what the complaint is about the generated "kill xxxx" quests, they just add something to do with some objective. The game still features 6.5 hand done quest lines as well as many other hand done quests.

You are all right, i shouldn't be ignoring the misc tab for reasons people are posting. But when i go do a quest in skyrim, I'm hoping that i'll get a decent story out of it. Because i know that i won't be getting good gear, or good pay.

There just really needs to be a way to remove items from your quest log, so i can more freely talk to inn-keepers and see what they have to tell me... sometimes it's actually a cool-sounding quest, but most often, it's Oh well gather me this, or just go clear this dungoen... and those are the type i want to avoid, as they bore the crap out of me. They give my character nothing of benefit, and don't even have an entertaining story to go along with it.

Some of the 'accidental' quests are fun.

For example, I'm gathering shouts, and the greybeards directed me to a parciular dungeon. Near the entrance was a daedric shrine, and when I approached it a daedra 'requested' assistance with her shrine. That quest ended up in the same dungeon that contained the dragon shout and I was able to complete both at the same time. Cool.

No joking, I was SURE that 'lund's hut' was a easter-egg referencing The Legend of Zelda, but I started a new character and locatred it again but 'Lund' was dark-haired and was dressed completely differently... I feel cheated...

What are you guys considering "radiant" quests?

once you've completed a quest line and you just keep getting the same type quest over and over. like dark brotherhood where mother always has a new job after you've completed the questline.

once you've completed a quest line and you just keep getting the same type quest over and over. like dark brotherhood where mother always has a new job after you've completed the questline.

...that one in particular is a great way to get fast cash, too. You get $1,000 per mission and most take less than 5 minutes.

I must say, you'd be crazy to play this game on console if you had the option of playing on PC. For one, the game looks awesome on PC, but more importantly, the damn bugs! The first 30 or so hours I was playing I didn't have too many, but the past few days, several times I've had to use console commands to fix problems. Notably, getting stuck in terrain and having to use no clipping to get out. Normally I quick save (F5) as I travel around, and quick load (F9) as needed, last time I got stuck behind some random rock and accidently hit F5 instead of F9 and the last autosave was ages back. It would have been extremely frustrating on console, but a quick ~TCL to turn off clipping saved the day. Also if you read the wiki (which I've been avoiding up until recently now that I'm almost done with the main quest and getting a bit tired of the game) you read endless bugs which often the only solution is a console command, and if you're stuck on 360 or PS3 your only option is to reload a previous save.

ran into what I thought was a bug but I guess it's not...I'm up to the part in the main quest where you are trying to get Ulfric and Tullius to meet for a peace conference...but since I started the Imperial civil war quest the peace treaty was skipped...guess it makes sense although I don't see how my joining one side would affect the signing of a peace treaty

ran into what I thought was a bug but I guess it's not...I'm up to the part in the main quest where you are trying to get Ulfric and Tullius to meet for a peace conference...but since I started the Imperial civil war quest the peace treaty was skipped...guess it makes sense although I don't see how my joining one side would affect the signing of a peace treaty

I've remained neutral so far, but I assume if you joined a side, usually by then you would have had a battle to decide the fate of Whiterun, making a treaty unnecessary, you can just walk up to the Jarl and say "hey bitch, do what I say". Once I finish the main quest I might join up with the Stormcloaks, it seems there's little reason to stay neutral, all you're doing is missing out on a couple of interesting quest lines and there's a house or two you can't buy unless you have completed at least part of the civil war.

Tudz: I'd advise against using auto and especially quick saves. They're more easily prone to corruption that means CTDs, freezes, glitches, etc.

Some of the 'accidental' quests are fun.

For example, I'm gathering shouts, and the greybeards directed me to a parciular dungeon. Near the entrance was a daedric shrine, and when I approached it a daedra 'requested' assistance with her shrine. That quest ended up in the same dungeon that contained the dragon shout and I was able to complete both at the same time. Cool.

Trying to play a character which has a firm moral compass really kills the immersion of this game. You basically just have to wander around the world aimlessly, doing whatever you stumble across, for the second you decide you will take a position on something, the game tells you you can't do that.

My holy paladin has turned into a murder machine, as the only other path offered in the HUGE plethora of "help this evil Daedric lord" quests is to kill the quest-giver and stop whatever evil plans they have afoot.

It is such a shame, to realize that in this amazing adventure game where you can go in ANY direction, everything you run across will be linear. Like with most games effected by broadening their target audience, you have to play like you are 12 years old--wandering along aimlessly until you stumble across something, then *Don't Think!*, just do as you're told.

Trying to play a character which has a firm moral compass really kills the immersion of this game. You basically just have to wander around the world aimlessly, doing whatever you stumble across, for the second you decide you will take a position on something, the game tells you you can't do that.

My holy paladin has turned into a murder machine, as the only other path offered in the HUGE plethora of "help this evil Daedric lord" quests is to kill the quest-giver and stop whatever evil plans they have afoot.

It is such a shame, to realize that in this amazing adventure game where you can go in ANY direction, everything you run across will be linear. Like with most games effected by broadening their target audience, you have to play like you are 12 years old--wandering along aimlessly until you stumble across something, then *Don't Think!*, just do as you're told.

They're targeting the lowest common denominator which is highly unfortunate. Just reworking all the quests in this game (and allowing quests to fail or be abandoned) would be a huge improvement. Of course, you'd have to redo all the voice acting which would be a prohibitive expense.

As it stands.. I'm moving on. It was good for 140 hours but the repetition is feeling like a grind and the lack of consequences/challenge makes the world feel very bland.

They're targeting the lowest common denominator which is highly unfortunate. Just reworking all the quests in this game (and allowing quests to fail or be abandoned) would be a huge improvement. Of course, you'd have to redo all the voice acting which would be a prohibitive expense.

As it stands.. I'm moving on. It was good for 140 hours but the repetition is feeling like a grind and the lack of consequences/challenge makes the world feel very bland.

The thing is, with all the voice acting they did, none of it ever leads anywhere cool. You stumble across people in the wild and your options are, "what are you doing out here?" and "can you teach speechcraft?"

Such a love/hate relationship with this game. What they have done was done pretty well, but fuck the game feels half done. That's great that there are 4 dialogue options telling me about random dude's past. I love that! But, then they forgot to add in the rest of the dialogue options where i actually get to ask the guy something i want, or to (instert anything interesting here).

My career in Skyrim is over. :mad:

Seriously, it pisses me off to no end...

....and, before you say anything...it isn't the missions being easy / hard / repetitive / boring / exciting . . . etc. etc. etc.

...it finally happened to me, I'm retired:

arrow_to_the_knee.jpg

:D

Tudz: I'd advise against using auto and especially quick saves. They're more easily prone to corruption that means CTDs, freezes, glitches, etc.

The only time I've had CTD was when I was using TESVAL, and the only real glitches I've had are getting stuck in terrain. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't use quick save, skyrim is one of those games where it is not enjoyable to have to repeat things :p it hasn't seemed to cause any problems yet. Certainly no freezing or CTD. Obviously quick save isn't the only saving I do, as it's not permanent, I do regular saves after big milestones or before I do any major upgrades to my character that I'm unsure about. Quicksave is just to avoid frustration while dungeon delving and traveling, since I avoid using fast travel for most things.

My career in Skyrim is over. :mad:

Seriously, it pisses me off to no end...

....and, before you say anything...it isn't the missions being easy / hard / repetitive / boring / exciting . . . etc. etc. etc.

...it finally happened to me, I'm retired:

:D

LOL, love it!

The only time I've had CTD was when I was using TESVAL, and the only real glitches I've had are getting stuck in terrain. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't use quick save, skyrim is one of those games where it is not enjoyable to have to repeat things :p it hasn't seemed to cause any problems yet. Certainly no freezing or CTD. Obviously quick save isn't the only saving I do, as it's not permanent, I do regular saves after big milestones or before I do any major upgrades to my character that I'm unsure about. Quicksave is just to avoid frustration while dungeon delving and traveling, since I avoid using fast travel for most things.

Good deal. Just be aware of the potential issue, though. :)

I like things like The Witcher, where so many choices are vague, you can TRY and be the good guy, but you're never really sure who's good and who's bad and whether remaining neutral or taking a side is the "good" thing to do. I got bored of the "good vs evil" thing after KOTOR, where it actually meant something. I prefer games to have interesting quest lines rather than "say this to be good", "say this to be evil" and "say this to remain neutral".

I like things like The Witcher, where so many choices are vague, you can TRY and be the good guy, but you're never really sure who's good and who's bad and whether remaining neutral or taking a side is the "good" thing to do. I got bored of the "good vs evil" thing after KOTOR, where it actually meant something. I prefer games to have interesting quest lines rather than "say this to be good", "say this to be evil" and "say this to remain neutral".

I could see this... but the answer isn't to make linear quest lines as skyrim did. I haven't played any of the Witchers, but i like how you describe it... as long as there are multiple choices for one to think about and make a decision on.

I remember fighting the Daedra during the Oblivion crisis, and want nothing to do with assisting them in any way.

Bah, I prefer being pandered to, minimal thinking involved. After all, what can change the nature of a man? Regenerating health and instant gratification.

Back