electrical problem, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne

2[H]4U
hey guys, im doing this hw problem in my electrical class and im really confused about how to do it so i was wondering if you guys could help me out

heres the problem

What is the value of R2?
normal_electrical%20quiz%20121005.JPG

the voltage source is 220v, R1 is 47 ohms, R2 has a current of 1amp, and R3 is 33 ohms
its a parallel series circuit

can anyone help? pleasee??? im soo confused :mad:

Find the equivelent resistance; that will tell you the total current drawn.
since the current across the resistors in parallel is proportional to their resistance, you can use the ratio of current across R1 vs R2 to find the value of R2.

But by 2[H]4U you really should know asking for help on homework is frowned upon, we are not your classmates, textbook or teacher.

FreiDOg said:
But by 2[H]4U you really should know asking for help on homework is frowned upon, we are not your classmates, textbook or teacher.

Maybe he's 2[H]4Himself

Just a note: With the way your circuit is drawn, you have a negative resistance. If you find a substance with a negative resistance, please give me a call. I'll thank you during my Nobel Prize acceptance speech! :p Current flows from + to -, and you have it drawn the other way around.

Here's a hint:

The voltage across R2 will be Vr2=1A * R2.
Vr2 = Vr1 (voltage across R1)
Ir1(current through R1) = Vr1/R1

Ir3 = Ir1 + Ir2

That should get you started.

FreiDOg said:
Indeed, mind the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back