Elite Geek Squad case mod

desultadox

Limp Gawd
I've been ordering parts for my new build since before Thanksgiving and was just waiting on my video card from Dell. I found a Best Buy 45 minutes away that had it in stock, so I drove all the way over there to grab the last one. Finally!

So I got home and started unboxing stuff to put it all together when I noticed that my case didn't have the side window it was supposed to. Buy.com sent me the wrong one! I'm sure it'll be a month before I get it straightened out too because so far their customer service seems about as effective as throwing rocks in a gun fight, but more painful. Oh well, they gave me a good deal to keep my build ~$600.

Anyway, I at least wanted to test out all the hardware I got just in case. Plus I REALLY wanted to hook the thing up already. This is what I came up with...

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

gsbox.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

The foam pad looks like the antistatic one that the motherboard comes shipped with. I think it should be fine.

The foam pad looks like the antistatic one that the motherboard comes shipped with. I think it should be fine.

If it is indeed anti-static then there IS a problem as anti-static = conductive = possible short circuits.

Anti-Static = Conductive?!? I use pieces of the stuff (folded 2 or 3 times) to support the outter corner edges of my motherboards (so to relief pressure of stuff being plugged in/out) .... been doing it for years w/o any known problems. I would expect it to act as a temp insulator, so I wouldnt shove it beneath chips and such. But they still do come into contact with solder points and PCB traces.

If it is indeed anti-static then there IS a problem as anti-static = conductive = possible short circuits.

Yeah honestly it just made it easier to slide the board around than on the bottom of the shoebox. I know it's theoretically not safe, but I'm almost starting to believe static shock is a myth. I mean, I also put it together with socks on and my apartment has carpet. Not only does it work, but that E2140 is running at 3GHz right now without even trying. Maybe quality components are just more resistant against static shock.

Thats sweet, to think I have been spending a ton of $$ on CarbonFiber and alum when all I needed was a box....:cool:

No matter what its in I love getting new stuff and puting it together.

rofl, i use to lawl @ my DA friend, since he said you have to wear white sox with black shoes.... and the goofy white shirts and black ties. i use to take his badge with me to bars and be like I am a special agent for best buy, gimme a bear or i'll turn off your electricity to the bar tender.... usually they a good LOL, and gave a drink on the house. lol

hahaha that's so ghetto. i still think i r/c car geek squad bug computer is still awesomerrr

Back