Elite wiring job, what do you think?

n64man120

2[H]4U
I just got a new Cavalier case and put my rig in it. Did alot to conceal wires, tell me wut u think and where I can improve things. I'll have a bunch of new pics soon but only 1 for now.

wiring.jpg

turn the hdd around, so the connectors are facing the front bezel, than you'll hide the wires even more :)

besides that, it looks great.

I'd definately say thats elite. Only things I would do is sleeve the visable wires and flip the hard drive. Nice work!

why is ur heatsink fan blowing air AWAY from your heatsink? I thouught it was supposed to blow in... maybe it is and the fan looks different. Either way if you leave it like that, put some black electrical tape over the wires on the fan, thats just kinda ugly right there, other than that its awesome!

Good job
You need to flip the hd's like the other guy said and whats with those white bars all up the case on your hd tray and cd tray? Thats ugly....

use 90* molex for optical drives power cable

the power cable coming out of the psu need some work - try hiding them!

turn the hdd around

route the fan cables(?) on the top to the left side of the mobo and run the cable under it

other than that, nice!

User Name said:
use 90* molex for optical drives power cable

the power cable coming out of the psu need some work - try hiding them!

turn the hdd around

route the fan cables(?) on the top to the left side of the mobo and run the cable under it

other than that, nice!

Will do on the 90* molex's, I assume there cheap.

Tried to reverse mount the HDD but theres not really enough room to get the wires too it, the front fan blocks the cutout to route wires there :/. Nothing a dremel wont fix :cool:

Well as far as the PSU cables, i cut a hole on side of case and have them routed there instantly. Any suggestions on how to conceal it more? I was thinking of fabricating an aluminum encasement to cover them.

Can you further explain what you mean by routing the fan cables? Do u mean run them all where the 120mm fan goes?

Thanks for all the suggestions

EGGO said:
Very nice

I'll pay you to do mine =0)

LOL, took me about 12 hours to do although alot of it was just thinking about the best way to do things, and dremeling.

n64man120 said:
Can you further explain what you mean by routing the fan cables? Do u mean run them all where the 120mm fan goes?

run the green+red+black wire (fan cable?) to the left side and route them under the mobo like this:

wiring.jpg

Alright, thanks. I'll do same with the black wire too next to it (thermal probe). Should I just leave the P4 Power cable running up as is? The fan cable is hiding it right now. Also wut u think I should do to hide the PSU better? BTW username, u have the most elite wiring job ever... have ur case saved on my computer :D

elite.mafia said:
why is ur heatsink fan blowing air AWAY from your heatsink? I thouught it was supposed to blow in... maybe it is and the fan looks different. Either way if you leave it like that, put some black electrical tape over the wires on the fan, thats just kinda ugly right there, other than that its awesome!
It is supposed to blow away, else it will be blowing hot air from you're case onto you're CPU. If I'm correct, the HSF blows hot air away from you're CPU and air gets sucked in through the sides.

saturnine2 said:
I'd definately say thats elite. Only things I would do is sleeve the visable wires and flip the hard drive. Nice work!
Nice advice, this will solve by wiring problems. The round cables are too long so they bunch up. Thanks!

memphis_1220 said:
It is supposed to blow away, else it will be blowing hot air from you're case onto you're CPU. If I'm correct, the HSF blows hot air away from you're CPU and air gets sucked in through the sides.

This is a very uncommon way of doing it. If done correctly, it can be more effective, but 99.999 percent of all commercially available heatsinks (meaning I've never seen one that didn't) have air blowing down onto the heatsink. The other way you have to build a sort of duct to go down and cover the sides of most of the heatsink, otherwise all the air being sucked in will just hit the tops of the fins. The duct forces air to be drawn in from the bottom, thus ensuring air is flowing over all parts of the fins.

all ive seen have it blowing out

Heres Why:

The heatsinks were built so the heat dissipates at the edges, therefore heating up the air near it, having the fan sucking that air away from the cpu, cools it a bit because the hot air is being taken away

Try experimenting by your self and monitor your case temps closely. Try it with air blowing onto the HSF, and then blowing away from the HSF.

99.99999 it is much more intelligent to have air blowing on your HSF then trying to pull air off of it.

Let me ask you this. If it's really hot in your room and you don't have AC (just a little setup) would you rather have the fan blowing air on you or would you rather be behind the fan trying to have it pull hot air off of you? Chances are even in the hot room, having the air blow on you is gonna be a lot more effective then trying to wait for the fan to pull the air off of you.

Same goes for the HSF. Even if all the air in your case is hot (just like in the room scenario) having the fan blow air onto the HSF is going to more effective than trying to pull it off in virtually every case.

on the stock intel heatsink (the one that i got with my P4) it sticker side was facing out (just like his pic) but it pushed air thrugh the HS. It ran at like 2000rpm pos lol

lol, interesting discussion about direction of the HSF, so... back to case comments? :)

the wiring job is horrible cus of the fan :eek:
jk its pretty good, some things could be better ( such as the p4 power cable and the cpu fan) (that is a p4 right?)

Well first off u cant even see the P4 cable cuz the fan cable is covering it :eek: As for the HSF cable, yea i konw i g2 do someething about that... idk wut tho

n64man120 said:
Well first off u cant even see the P4 cable cuz the fan cable is covering it :eek: As for the HSF cable, yea i konw i g2 do someething about that... idk wut tho
You type loke a drunk man! :D Sleeve that mufo!

n64man120 said:
Alright, thanks. I'll do same with the black wire too next to it (thermal probe). Should I just leave the P4 Power cable running up as is? The fan cable is hiding it right now. Also wut u think I should do to hide the PSU better? BTW username, u have the most elite wiring job ever... have ur case saved on my computer :D

I got the idea of making a new hole on the psu cover on the right to run the wires directly to the mobo tray intead of having the wires running out from behind. maybe you can try that?
never done this before as I'm too lazy to take apart my computer again :D

The wires, or should I say the lack there-of, looks great. I would get rid of that Zalman fan grill and pop on one of Bonz's fan grills though. :cool:

User Name said:
I got the idea of making a new hole on the psu cover on the right to run the wires directly to the mobo tray intead of having the wires running out from behind. maybe you can try that?
never done this before as I'm too lazy to take apart my computer again :D

I'm definitly gonna try that although it will involve undoin a ton of work :(
I have a feelthing the capacators or w/e those big things are will get in the way, but its worth a shot. How should I go about coving up the old hole if this does work? My first instinct is a chunk of sheetmetal + glue :D

Pagan Wizard said:
The wires, or should I say the lack there-of, looks great. I would get rid of that Zalman fan grill and pop on one of Bonz's fan grills though. :cool:

I was just thinking about doing something along those lines, funny part is I just realized the other day after having that thing for a month that any fan would have fit in there and I didnt have to shell out 10$ for the zalman one

n64man120 said:
I'm definitly gonna try that although it will involve undoin a ton of work :(
I have a feelthing the capacators or w/e those big things are will get in the way, but its worth a shot. How should I go about coving up the old hole if this does work? My first instinct is a chunk of sheetmetal + glue :D

that should work lol

anyway, try this with your optical drives cables. no need for 90* connector

optical_cables.jpg

looks really good. easily one of the neater wiring jobs ive seen for the better part of a year. :D

Ok all, heres my plan of attack.

1) Have PSU wires go right out back of mobo tray
2) Hide the HSF wire
3) Runs wires from videocard to left and behind tray
4) Bend optical power cable so its flat rather than popping out

If you can think of anything else to add or comment on please tell me, theres the unsightly wires on the bottom for front panel stuff... but thats pretty impossible to cover unless i made a false bottom

Also what do you recommend as far as # of CCFL, and where I should place them? I want this baby to glow.

If you dont want to go to the trouble of redoing everything if you dont want to sleeve it just go to walmart or lowez and pick up some zip ties, the smallest ones possible, and tidy up your wires with them, ESPECIALLY on your motherboard power connector. One or two right there would make it look alot smaller

give us some more pics... different angels and stuff.

elite.mafia said:
give us some more pics... different angels and stuff.

Sure, the ones I have are mad blurry. I'll try to take some good ones tonight of the current setup.

My case use to look like that, then I bought a powersupply with long ass wires and was too lazy to hide them. Now my case looks like shit and I have a window...oh well:(

Hey what did you use to sleeve the wires going to your harddrive? Because it looks a lot like this stuff I got at an Advance Autoparts store to sleeve a couple random wires awhile ago.

Katiemarie said:
Hey what did you use to sleeve the wires going to your harddrive? Because it looks a lot like this stuff I got at an Advance Autoparts store to sleeve a couple random wires awhile ago.

Silver reflective sleeving from Frozen CPU... unfortunatly in the end my whole PSU leaving project costed me about 30$ and now you cant see a single one of the sleeved wires :eek:

Alright guys, I took in all your suggestions and here's my new and improved case. Give me any comments you would like but i'm NOT doing this again lol.
Computer-Wiring-004.jpg

Computer-Wiring-009.jpg

Computer-Wiring-014.jpg

Computer-Wiring-016.jpg

Computer-Wiring-017.jpg

Back