eMachines T6528 @ [H] Consumer

You know that would be really nice: If you guys were able to explain how to run your toture test on our own systems. It'd really be interesting to see whether my own builds are as stable as what I can buy from a retail outlet.

If you already explained how to do it, please let me know where, I am not the most search adept person.

Did you all turn on that hardware acceleration or was it on from the factory?

I have the T6420, which is almost identical except for a 3400+ processor, 1 GB Ram, a 200 GB hard drive, and Windows Media Center.

I stuck a 6800GS video card (the 7600GT wasn't out yet) in it and a Sound Blaster Audigy, and it is now a really nice gaming system. I can play Oblivion at 1024x768 with no problems, Far Cry at 1280x1024 (my native LCD resolution), and Guild Wars at 1280x1024 great.

As the article suggested, I would recommend getting the version with 1 GB of Ram or getting another stick of 512 MB, just so you can run in dual-channel mode.

The motherboard is a standard MSI board, so there are a lot of upgrade options for this PC.

I was surprised that Emachines used a PATA hard drive instead of a SATA. There are SATA connections on the motherboard.

Overall, I like the system a lot, especially at this price.

swatbat said:
Did you all turn on that hardware acceleration or was it on from the factory?
It was on by default, which is why we dinged them.

drizzt81 said:
You know that would be really nice: If you guys were able to explain how to run your toture test on our own systems. It'd really be interesting to see whether my own builds are as stable as what I can buy from a retail outlet.

If you already explained how to do it, please let me know where, I am not the most search adept person.

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2MSw4LCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

This one has a bit more detail. Our procedure is rather thorough, so it's not practical to outline each parameter, but this will put you in the right zip code.

Incidentally, learn to search. It's not that hard - just takes a little patience. :)

you must have a high tolerance for noise because those 160gb hard drives Emachines use are LOUD. i wish they would use a quieter sata 8mb cache hard drive.

just a few notes.

Can you try to make sure that each review of systems like these have the same exact page names? Some articles have "summary" pages for sections and others do not. Also a few list more games that others even when both machines are clearly in the same price category.

I am a fan of the eMachines equipment simply because the components are very good for the price. That being said I still don't own one but have recommended them to a few people.

Another comparison you could include is to the HP Pavillion (AMD 3800+) you reviewed earlier. What is interesting there is that you gave the HP a .5 higher gaming score though it was obvious that the integrated graphics solution it used is inferior to the eMachine.

Still, getting a 8+ overall score says a lot for a machine under $500. They can teach a thing or two to the higher end system integrators.

Shivetya said:
just a few notes.

Can you try to make sure that each review of systems like these have the same exact page names? Some articles have "summary" pages for sections and others do not. Also a few list more games that others even when both machines are clearly in the same price category.

I am a fan of the eMachines equipment simply because the components are very good for the price. That being said I still don't own one but have recommended them to a few people.

Another comparison you could include is to the HP Pavillion (AMD 3800+) you reviewed earlier. What is interesting there is that you gave the HP a .5 higher gaming score though it was obvious that the integrated graphics solution it used is inferior to the eMachine.

Still, getting a 8+ overall score says a lot for a machine under $500. They can teach a thing or two to the higher end system integrators.

I agree that the scoring for each machine seems to have no b aseline so it looks unfair to myself.

I think you should have a baseline machine and use the benchmarks from it to use to make your scores based on each catagory

like a amd 3000 with 1gig ram, and a 7600gt or somthing call it a avg user machine and then base your scores on how other machines compare in its gaming encoding time etc. for support i guess u have to use judgment but for gaming and productivity scores i think having a fair baseline machine to use as a judgement point makes sense.

just a thought

I've been telling friends/family to go with emachines for awhile. Easy simple machines with some good upgrade potential which streaches out their life.

After reading that ibuypower review emachines I'd be more inclined to tell people to buy this and upgrade for a low/midrange gaming machine.

"Another comparison you could include is to the HP Pavillion (AMD 3800+) you reviewed earlier. What is interesting there is that you gave the HP a .5 higher gaming score though it was obvious that the integrated graphics solution it used is inferior to the eMachine."

that is patently false. the games that they played supposedly ran slow, which is completely different...
i have the 1230n which is the exact same machine almost right down to that sorry bestec supply that hp/compaq/emachines/dell all use. it depends completely on the games that are played -- i got it for $331 + tax on $380 = i can't build a machine like that for that price! playing gta san andreas and half life 2 all day on saturday is no problem, no heat!
what is going on here? that power plug is completely obscured. i guess reviewers didn't want to make the same mistake of claiming that it could run a pci-e card, when it only has a 20pin power supply installed -- like they did in the t3418 review...
i smell something.. it ain't my feet or my mouth (for a change) though...
sigh... well thanks for the pretty pictures at least... the white backgrounds load nicely

edit: "What we found interesting was that, for the most part, this system performed at about the same level as the T3418, which costs $50 less."

i should hope so! an athlon vs a sempron? i need to start me a computer reviewing website too
let me get some of this money

guhh said:
"Another comparison you could include is to the HP Pavillion (AMD 3800+) you reviewed earlier. What is interesting there is that you gave the HP a .5 higher gaming score though it was obvious that the integrated graphics solution it used is inferior to the eMachine."

that is patently false. the games that they played supposedly ran slow, which is completely different...
i have the 1230n which is the exact same machine almost right down to that sorry bestec supply that hp/compaq/emachines/dell all use. it depends completely on the games that are played -- i got it for $331 + tax on $380 = i can't build a machine like that for that price!
what is going on here? that power plug is completely obscured. i guess reviewers didn't want to make the same mistake of claiming that it could run a pci-e card, when it only has a 20pin power supply installed -- like they did in the t3418 review...
i smell something.. it ain't my feet or my mouth (for a change) though...
sigh... well thanks for the pretty pictures at least... the white backgrounds load nicely
I really don't understand what you're trying to insinuate here.

We were able to run a 6600GT PCI-Express x16 card in both of these machines. Are you calling me a liar?

guhh said:
i should hope so! an athlon vs a sempron? i need to start me a computer reviewing website too
let me get some of this money

Let me know when you get around to that.

Chris_Morley said:
I really don't understand what you're trying to insinuate here.

We were able to run a 6600GT PCI-Express x16 card in both of these machines. Are you calling me a liar?

Maybe he is trying to bring up the fact that some systems run unstable with only the 20 pin plug and just doesn't know enough about it? Also does you 6600gt have a power plug on it? Maybe he was thinking that one that is powered by the pci express slot may not have worked? Then again he may just be tyring to start shit. Who knows. Either way I still think the review was good.

dajet24 said:
I agree that the scoring for each machine seems to have no b aseline so it looks unfair to myself.

I think you should have a baseline machine and use the benchmarks from it to use to make your scores based on each catagory

like a amd 3000 with 1gig ram, and a 7600gt or somthing call it a avg user machine and then base your scores on how other machines compare in its gaming encoding time etc. for support i guess u have to use judgment but for gaming and productivity scores i think having a fair baseline machine to use as a judgement point makes sense.

just a thought

I mean no disrespect, but I'm not sure that having a baseline machine in the office and comparing benchmarks would actually help a review of a specific computer. In fact, it might skew the results.

For instance - this computer comes with 512 RAM of which 128MB is used for the onboard video, not 1 gig. That makes a big difference - 384 vs. 896 MB of Ram using onboard. And just the fact that the video is onboard. It seems kind of hard to compare that with a 7600gt, or even a lower-end PCI-E card. Unless you're putting something in that's only 64MB, you're going to see a difference in your video (as far as I know - I didn't put a card in the one I had). Yes, I owned this computer - for about 2 weeks, that's how I know what the RAM numbers are and what the onboard video uses by default, though you can lower it to 64MB or raise it higher than 128MB.

I think that comparing the merits of comparable brands/computers is fine. That could help someone decide between, say, a dell, hp, emachine or whatever depending on their needs.

I wish my experience with the T6528 had been as trouble free as yours. I have to wonder if the BB here somehow got a bad batch (reading reviews I do see that this can happen - to err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer). I actually spent the money to have mine looked at at a local repair shop just to be sure I wasn't wrong or overreacting. They told me I had 2 choices basically - either pay for a new motherboard and installation (they didn't recommend) or send it back for a refund (which I did).

Overall though, I think it was a very fair review for a budget computer.

*giggles at Kyle's post*

"Maybe he is trying to bring up the fact that some systems run unstable with only the 20 pin plug and just doesn't know enough about it?"

that is quite true
i just don't know enough about it
looking at the pictures like everyone else
fair play

Back