Empire: Total War

Anyone else having a hard time finding a faction you can stick with? I don't like GB, France, and United Provinces because they have colonies, and its a pain in the ass dealing with them. Sweden doesn't have like any unique units, Austria's starting position sucks but they have cool units, Maratha Confederacy and the Ottomans don't get the pickle gun, etc. so I started one with Russia, and I'm loving them. I just wish each faction had more unique units.

That lack of unique units is one of the biggest complaints against the game right now. But it'll all be fleshed out in due time - either by expansions or mods.

These have better framerate than the newest 182.08? How do you know?

Because I spent a few hours yesterday over on these pages and trying it myself.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233152
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233214
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1074

Crashing issue threads:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232898&highlight=182.08
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232993&highlight=182.08

There was a reply from a developer in one of the threads related to the 182.08 crashing and how they aren't able to test things on newer drivers before those drivers come out. Spend a few hours there yourself to find it.

old AMD atholon 3200+ 64 2ghz.
3gig RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

I would say no. I tried running it on my laptop (specs below) and it ran (the demo) pretty poorly.

AMD TL-59 @ 1.9 ghz
ATI 2600 hd with 512 mb of ram
2 gig system ram
5400 rpm HD

The load times were horrid but thats partly my hard drives fault.

Good lord is there no way to turn off the lame strategy map animations that force you to sit there and watch units prepare to fight eachother, die after a battle, etc? Even the movement...

Really pissed off at the AI too (even the movement AI for my own units, which have a HORRIBLE time dealing with any slight variance to the terrain... which is a nightmare in some of the regions.

Definitely pretty though...

Good lord is there no way to turn off the lame strategy map animations that force you to sit there and watch units prepare to fight eachother, die after a battle, etc? Even the movement...

I haven't played Empire Total War yet, but in the previous games you could hit spacebar and it would speed up the movements (walking movements at least) on the strategy map. Helped a bit.

I haven't played Empire Total War yet, but in the previous games you could hit spacebar and it would speed up the movements (walking movements at least) on the strategy map. Helped a bit.

Ah.. forgot about that! Hope it works in this one too. Pretty sure there was an OPTION to turn them off in previous ones though. This one has barely any options.

For some reason they gave unlimited ammo to cannons, so I have a bad habit of sitting back and letting my cannons fire at the silly AI for 5 mins at x4 speed before I engage most times :)

On the world map the armies have a banner with a line of pips showing how powerful your army is, etc, etc.... But a lot of times an army has a certain number of gray pips - what do those mean??

@requirements

wow a P4 2.4 can still run this game?!? i wonder how gameplay is on one

just began today, its pretty good, I am a bit sad however as I love the castles and unit variety of the old versions. So many different units and strategies. Now it feels like its either guns or cavalry, overall it is still very good though. I do hope the next version goes back in time.

That lack of unique units is one of the biggest complaints against the game right now. But it'll all be fleshed out in due time - either by expansions or mods.
I know, it just seems that in M2TW there were a lot more unique units.
And well it kind of is guns and cavalry, but pikemen are still important. And I think Empire makes you think a lot more because of the possibility of a cannon destroying a whole unit.

Been playing for a good 3 days now. Found a few bugs, game crashes a battle after I take a screenshot, agents (rakes) sometime gets stuck in ports, psychic AI knows when I use canister shot.

Psychic AI pisses me off the most. 1 infantry unit versus my full stack, the enemy AI slowly approaches under canon fire (round shot), but just before they get into range, I switch to canister shot, then run back out of range. Switch back to round shot and they walk back INTO range, switch it to canister, they dash out. So I keep clicking back and forth between the two and watch the AI's army dance back and forth. Lined up some infantry and shot the dancing loons dead. Bah.. :rolleyes:

Other than that, great fun. Don't hesitate to research to ranked volley fire (or whatever that tech is called). At the beginning of the game, you may notice your kill rate is ridiculously slow. It's because the only rank that's firing at all is your first rank. By researching ranked firing, each rank will fire and reload in succession to get a constant barrage of fire. It's awesome as hell.

nm, just when I start to really enjoy the game, it fucking shits on me.

Game breaking bug, can't load any of my campaign games. Even after reinstalling the shit. Folks at TW Center reporting the same thing. Waste of time. :mad:

Because I spent a few hours yesterday over on these pages and trying it myself.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233152
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233214
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1074

Crashing issue threads:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232898&highlight=182.08
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232993&highlight=182.08

There was a reply from a developer in one of the threads related to the 182.08 crashing and how they aren't able to test things on newer drivers before those drivers come out. Spend a few hours there yourself to find it.
thanks, I wasn't doubting you just asking for more info.

I really really really hope the developers of this game suffer a horrible fate. Trust me you guys stability and performance bugs are the least of this game's problems. This is by far the worse in a long line of thumb up their asses dumb battlefield units and stupid pompus campaign ai and worthless-diplomacy total war game, and by a wide wide margin.

What really makes creative assembly deserve to die for this is that is what they promised they would fix, but in grand developer fashion, they instead made it worse to the point of broken.

lol, I know the special forces/exclusive units were going to be included on the game disc/download of the actual game:

Here's how you unlock them: (obviously it won't work for MP still, but it's fun to have them in sp)

I've been able to play with the Death Heads Hussars with my standard edition of Empire. All you need to do is to unpack the game an delete "units_to_special_editions_juncs"-data in the db/units_to_special_editions_juncs_tables folder of your unpacked game!

UPDATE: You need only to extract main.pack and then delete the mentioned file above. Unpacking everthing caused problems when starting or loading a new campaign but if you only unpack main.pack and delete the file or move it to desktop with main.pack you everting works as it should
Last edited by Agostinos; Yesterday at 10:00 PM.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233986

It really seems that I’m the only person here that’s really disappointed about this release, I just can't seem to be enjoying the battlefield game play mode. The AI is really horrible.... having units trying to form up while your enemies are blasting you away or trying to position 8+ groups of units on your fort walls having them facing their backs to the enemy, the list really goes on. Really wish I played the demo beforehand! ah well.

I'm too used to typical RTS fare, which means I'm getting my butt kicked in the battles here. Can anyone recommend a forum dedicated to Total War strategy? Thanks.

It really seems that I’m the only person here that’s really disappointed about this release,...

umm..;

I really really really hope the developers of this game suffer a horrible fate.

yeah its bad, the ai is a top to bottom failure. Atleast some of the constant crazy diplomatic demands are worth a good laugh at first, even if now i'm, just shaking my head.

Hmm? You know you can simply click a unit (or use the hotkey for a group) and then drag it on the battlefield to set them up and in what direction you want them to face right?

As well, if an enemy is too close you can withdraw them or tell them to run in order to get in position faster.

I'm too used to typical RTS fare, which means I'm getting my butt kicked in the battles here. Can anyone recommend a forum dedicated to Total War strategy? Thanks.

I haven't seen anything significant yet for strategy. What works for me is to run the battle in slow motion for a significant amount of time if there are too many units to keep track off. Also, at first I was trying to manually tell my troops to shoot at the enemy, but I find it better to focus on just making sure my troop lines are set up properly with a direct shot at the enemy. If I point and click then they tend to lose their formation and screw everything up.

On the world map the armies have a banner with a line of pips showing how powerful your army is, etc, etc.... But a lot of times an army has a certain number of gray pips - what do those mean??

Those are armed civilians - basic defense in case you don't have real infantry around, but don't expect em to do wonders.

lol, I know the special forces/exclusive units were going to be included on the game disc/download of the actual game:

Here's how you unlock them: (obviously it won't work for MP still, but it's fun to have them in sp)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233986

You have got to be kidding me. I bought the SE specifically for that. Dang, do all these companies epicly fail DLC or what? Does this also unlock Best Buy's exclusive Constitution?

After finally playing some this weekend, the bugs are ridiculous especially the AI ones. Some of the things I have encountered:

• Every time an enemy takes defense at a wall, they do it on the wrong side, on my side facing away from me.
  • When an enemy has a unit on both sides of a fence, my cannons will shoot 90 degrees to their left, even when the enemy is right in front of them. This usually kills other cannons and troops on my side that are nearby.
  • Floating fences on some hills. More of a visual issue, but still a silly problem.
  • Eternally sinking ship and a ton of noise. Basically, I heard this LOUD hurricane like sound and it was hurting my ears, but only happend when I was over in India looking at my guys. Finally, I look at my fleet off the cost and they are jittering. So, I click it and it tells me my admiral croaked of old age and his ship sinks.
  • Zombies. Yeah, zombies, because I had killed them once before. I had a town over in India sieged and at the last turn, they attacked. After a decisive victory that I slaughtered 1200 of their 1300 troops, it goes back to the main screen. The town shows still in their control with exactly as many troops as they had before the last battle. My troops show with their experience and losses in the last battle. I had to fight the entire battle again with diminished troops.
  • Troops getting credit for kills they didn't make. I had several battles where my pikemen just stood back. Somehow, without even being near the enemy, they were raking up 28 to 50 kills a battle.
  • Troops being killed without being killed. In the same vein as above, I have had scads of troops with heavy losses in a battle that they just stood there and did nothing while cannons routed the enemy.
  • Almost forgot, I had a corrupt save file. It would crash on reload. Fortunately, I had another save 4 turns prior.

The bugs are getting ridiculous. Just to name a few that come to mind:

Frequent "out of video memory" CTDs on a GTX280 with 6gb of ram
Random crashes (empire.exe)
Completely black battle maps after load or random texture 'warping'
Artillery that won't auto-fire

All of which I can tolerate, but the AI's stupidity is killing my Grand Campaign. Most of the super powers are doing nothing, and the fact the AI can't use ships to transport armies means that Britain is essentially worthless. I mean after about 30 turns, Britain has 4 full stacked armies doing laps around the island for no apparent reason.

I had a weird graphic glitch on the campaign map were textures where bleeding together.
The multiplayer is fun but not when there are only 2 2v2 maps.

Well i hope they have an update that fixes some of the problems before i finish the road to independence and get board of the lack of multiplayer maps.

I guess I 'm lucky, the only "bug/annoyance" for me really is the damn artillery squads not wanting to follow orders. Constantly tell them to stop firing and they won't or tell them to limber only for them to unlimber, take fire at will off and they turn it back on themselves.

That's about it, only had one single crash since I bought the game on the 4th

Perhaps it's because I'm still only in the RTI campaign and not the GC.

I still havent been able to get into it like I got into medieval 2. I play an hour or two and then quit, not sure if I will get into it or not (I am guessing I will at least a bit).

I do find it comical that they took what they are terrible at and made a whole game surrounded by it. Anyone who had plated medieval 2 knows how poorly gun units line up and adjust. They then decided to take this hard to program and manage unit and make it just about the whole game lol. I think I would have much prefered Shogun Total War 2 or a new version of Rome Total War. People love swords and shields and castles and archers, this game ahhh I just dont know.

I guess I 'm lucky, the only "bug/annoyance" for me really is the damn artillery squads not wanting to follow orders. Constantly tell them to stop firing and they won't or tell them to limber only for them to unlimber, take fire at will off and they turn it back on themselves.

Yeah, I get the same minor annoyances - stuff that'll be patched out soon enough I'm sure. I have yet to get a CTD though. Everything runs solid.

Absolutely loving the game overall. Dragoons are the shit.

Wow I actually almost bought this last night but reading the replies here pretty much puts me in "wait and see" mode. I was really looking forward to this one since the last Total War game I played was Rome (which I thought was amazing).

Wow I actually almost bought this last night but reading the replies here pretty much puts me in "wait and see" mode. I was really looking forward to this one since the last Total War game I played was Rome (which I thought was amazing).

same here... this game is looking like its gonna be one of those "game of the year" buys or w/e... bought down the road at a discount, with all the enhancements and expansions built in....

All of which I can tolerate, but the AI's stupidity is killing my Grand Campaign. Most of the super powers are doing nothing, and the fact the AI can't use ships to transport armies means that Britain is essentially worthless. I mean after about 30 turns, Britain has 4 full stacked armies doing laps around the island for no apparent reason.

Ugh - I was noticing that with the French sitting on their arse on their islands during the RTI campaign, but I was hoping that was due to the hand-holding nature of RTI, and not present in the Grand Campaign. :(

I like to bring more artillery than him, then just setup my riflemen so that he has to come to me right into their focused fire.

The AI sucks at dealing with this, and either takes a tremendous pounding from my artillery, or walks right into my firing squad.

Like someone said above, I was about to get this (big fan of Rome and ME2) but I will wait and see how patches help things. Kinda sad to hear that there are so many problems. Usually not something you expect from the Total War series.

To be clear, the problems are all very minor. Mainly little niggles with the AI. As a whole the game is quite awesome and a ton of fun - especially if you're already a fan of the Total War series. Every game has issues upon release, so try not to read too much into it.

Yes the game needs a patch. They all do.

Like someone said above, I was about to get this (big fan of Rome and ME2) but I will wait and see how patches help things. Kinda sad to hear that there are so many problems. Usually not something you expect from the Total War series.

Well lets be fair, many of their games are ridiculed for issues early on.

Also, to the other poster, what the hell is a niggle LOL

Back