Emprex 26" 1920x1200 LCD $329AR Frys.com and B&M

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deal is back in-store through Tuesday. It's not the same price online (yet).

I really like mine and i've been using it as the primary display for almost 3 weeks.

I'll second that. The only problem I ran across is the lack of standardized mounting holes for a monitor arm. I fixed that with a drill and about an hours worth of work :) The stock stand leaves much to be desired with only a tilt adjustment, so a monitor arm definitely adds a nice boost in the ergonomics department.

Also worth noting that I previously said the monitor had no built-in scaling for 4:3 resolutions (for older games). I found the option. It only appears in the menu when you're in the resolution that actually requires scaling. I was looking for it in the menu while sitting at native resolution, and it was nowhere to be found. silly me.

Almost certainly TN. I have not seen any *VA monitors with a 5ms response time, or for that cheap for that size (except for the LG L246WP-BN's that were being cleared out, not just on sale). The viewing angles also give away that its TN as you note; *VA monitors usually have their viewing angles even more exaggerated. ;) The 16.7m colors probably means after dithering. :p

Exactly what he said.

This is a TN panel, in other words a waste of money, especially for those of us who can't stand the countless problems intrinsic to TN panels, and even more so if we are already used to SIPS panels (or even PVA/MVA to a lesser degree).

Exactly what he said.

This is a TN panel, in other words a waste of money, especially for those of us who can't stand the countless problems intrinsic to TN panels, and even more so if we are already used to SIPS panels (or even PVA/MVA to a lesser degree).
can we drop this already? every single time a discussion about panels comes up it turns into an argument. if anyone has a doubt about any type of panel they can go read countless other threads. give it a rest.

can we drop this already? every single time a discussion about panels comes up it turns into an argument. if anyone has a doubt about any type of panel they can go read countless other threads. give it a rest.

Just trying to save people the headache of having to deal with returns if they were expecting something else when they turn this thing on.

Then again, if some users here have used nothing but TN panels, then ignorance becomes bliss for them.

I remember jumping on another seemingly "hot" 24" TN deal about a year ago, only to later be absolutely disgusted by the image quality and ended up returning it, whereas a few other readers on here were arguing "it looks fine to me".

It was because of those very types of recommendations (the "it looks fine to me" types) that I decided to give it a try myself, only to reach the conclusion however that if you're used to poor quality, then you simply don't know any better.

Then again, if some users here have used nothing but TN panels, then ignorance becomes bliss for them.
Stop trying to justify your trolling. I've owned a few TN and *IPS and MVA LCDs in the past (plus my current HDTV and 15" LCD are one of each), and there's nothing wrong with this deal's LCD. It's a very nice monitor for the price.

Just give it up already. Too bad your princess eyes dare not gaze on a TN panel. :rolleyes: That's no one else's problem.

Stop trying to justify your trolling. I've owned a few TN and *IPS and MVA LCDs in the past (plus my current HDTV and 15" LCD are one of each), and there's nothing wrong with this deal's LCD. It's a very nice monitor for the price.

Just give it up already. Too bad your princess eyes dare not gaze on a TN panel. :rolleyes: That's no one else's problem.

Well, I could argue that it's because of people like you who settle for mediocrity that the entire market has become flooded with these subpar panels over the course of the last few years.

I for one however, will not spend a cent of my cash on any TN panel.
Why would I want to contribute to the proliferation of these inferior panels when panel manufacturers have the ability to put vastly superior panels out there for consumption?
They've just grown accustomed to complacency, not wanting to advance the tech because they know people like you exist out there that will settle for their crap.

You're mistaken if you think I'm being an elitist.
It's simply pragmatism.

Well, I could argue that it's because of people like you who settle for mediocrity that the entire market has become flooded with these subpar panels over the course of the last few years.

Why would I want to contribute to the proliferation of these inferior panels when panel manufacturers have the ability to put vastly superior panels out there for consumption?
They've just grown accustomed to complacency, not wanting to advance the tech because they know people like you exist out there that will settle for their crap.

It's simply pragmatism.

listen, stop sounding like such an idiot please.

just cuz u like driving a ferrari doesnt mean everyone else can afford one so we have to settle for honda civics.

for the love of god...
drop
it

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

The only affordable MVA panel Westinghouse is not sold anymore so the next options are the Planar and other $600 and up brands...Nothing really wrong with the "TN sucks crowd" chiming in every thread the thing that makes me laugh is the "What kind of panel is it?" people that question every Sub $400 lcd monitor that gets posted. Like it's not obvious.

It's simply pragmatism.

please stop trolling. :)

My brother picked up two of these panels for quakecon, they worked out awesomely. No issues, no ghosting or any of that. Great panels for the price.

And please stop taking a disingenuous stance, or are you really that ignorant (not a disparagement) when it comes to the numerous issues intrinsic to TN panels? :confused:

listen, stop sounding like such an idiot please.

just cuz u like driving a ferrari doesnt mean everyone else can afford one so we have to settle for honda civics.

for the love of god...
drop
it

The only thing idiotic here is your hyperbolic analogy.

Attempting to draw an analogy between a $600 MVA/PVA/SIPS panel versus a $329 TN one, and a $300,000 car aversus a $20,000 is really the same thing. :rolleyes:

Yeah, a 50:1 difference in price is really the same thing as a 2:1 difference.
Really, your point was so poorly made, so sensational, that it's not even worth contending.

And please stop taking a disingenuous stance, or are you really that ignorant when it comes to the numerous issues intrinsic to TN panels? :confused:
Wow, calling a mod ignorant for receiving a gentle warning (with a smile). :eek:

You've been officially identified as a troll. Good enough for me. PLONK! Goodnight, princess.

Wow, calling a mod ignorant for receiving a gentle warning (with a smile). :eek:

You've been officially identified as a troll. Good enough for me. PLONK! Goodnight, princess.

Mod or not, it doesn't negate anything I have stated, and what I did state was not really an ad-hominem, as I was not attacking him personally, but rather what he said.

Everything I have noted can be objectively proven with regard to TN panels -- subjectivity and ignorance on behalf of uneducated users (with respect to the topic at hand) be damned.

And just to be clear, learn to read more meticulously next time, and you'll come to realize that i was not calling him ignorant. :rolleyes:
Far from it, I said that his stance on this issue is idiotic, not him personally.
Or if you prefer something more subtle and insipid, then he appears as faux-naif or perhaps simply uninformed.

Whatever it may be, him arguing against my claims, which are factual and can objectively be demonstrated is what I would on the other hand refer to as trolling as well.

Pot meet kettle.

Why argue against the point that TN panels are trash compared to SIPS panels?

Then, why does one guy go off stating that we may as well all drive lamborghini's instead of Civics when he damn well knows that the cost difference between the two is in the neighberhood of a 50:1 ration versus a typical 1.5:1 or at most 2:1 on average between a comparable SIPS/PVA versus a TN, and sometimes they even reach parity.

Such comments are what I would say typify trolling, but apparently some here are too obtuse to make that distinction. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back