Enable write cache + advanced performance = better HDD performance in Vista?

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1097

This article says that if you enable write cache and advanced performance you will get better HDD performance in Vista. Has anyone looked into this and if so what are the gains to be realized? I do have a UPS but I don't think its one of those fancy always online ones but if the power cut out would everything become corrupt or just the segment that was being written.

If your computer is the one in your sig, i dont really see much performance to be gained by writecaching, you would gain better performance leaps by trimming system services.

If your computer is the one in your sig, i dont really see much performance to be gained by writecaching, you would gain better performance leaps by trimming system services.

I've seen huge boosts on most computers by enabling it. I see no reason not to really.

I've seen huge boosts on most computers by enabling it. I see no reason not to really.

Yes, but from my experience, and im not trying to hate on Vista, but i will, there are many more methods to obtain better performance, other than through writecaching. Sure, it will speed up a system, and if its used on an internal HD and not a USB/eSATA drive, there are little to no risks involved, the performance gain would be little compared to saaaaay, turning Aero off. :D

But yea, enable writecaching, and your performance will increase.

The difference on Windows XP:

Write Back Cache Disabled
writecachingOFF.jpg

Write Back Cache Enabled
writecachingON.jpg

Pretty crazy bust speed on the second one there but the avg read speed does seem to be significantly improved - much more that I would have expected really.

Xeno - I'm in the process of making a slimmed down Vista x64 with vlite so that should help as well general performance wise, but I recently switched back to XP (more of trying it out again really) because of slow HDD performance but I think I am going to switch back.

Cool. The guide uses a 3200AAKS. I'm using a 2500AAKS as my primary. I might give this a try.

But is this only a good idea if you're using a UPS?

Cool. The guide uses a 3200AAKS. I'm using a 2500AAKS as my primary. I might give this a try.

But is this only a good idea if you're using a UPS?

I have a couple of those 2500AAKS too, does your disk show the temperature bug causing to report like 10~20 degrees celcius above normal?

Back